Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #11
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bad ammonia in brand new diapers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
More absorbency? I think you already mention that was fine.

Usually extreme ammonia smell does mean there is trapped ammonia in the diapers. Which goes back to not being clean. Is it only after the morning diaper?
Yes morning diaper. You're right, absorbency was fine.

So can too much detergent/not rinsed well enough do it too, or only not washed well enough? Either is plausible since they are refolds vs the flats we normally used--takes more to get to those middle layers. But even if they weren't being washed completely well enough I am surprised it could build up enough to be bad in only one week from brand new.

He's been mostly in disposables for night since then, just because DH changes him for bed and keeps forgetting to try cloth again. Right after bleaching everything his overnight cloth was totally fine.

Advertisement

zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #12
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Do you rinse them in the morning or wash right away? I rinse my overnight diapers in the sink as soon as we take them off to get as much urine out as possible unless I have a load ready to start right away. I just think overnight urine is more concentrated than daytime urine, and those diapers are just harder to keep clean. This is why I quit doing cloth at night for a while - when I finally found something that held all his pee I had a hard time getting it clean enough.
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #13
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah if its just overnight diapers I would agree with above. When we had harder water I used to wet pail just the nighttime inserts in bac-out and water. I was using MF but it could be the same for anything. I think your nightime prefolds weren't getting clean. Soaking or rinsing them could help or stick to flats at night.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 01-23-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:39 AM   #14
Pkupstx
Registered Users
seller

If there isn't any ammonia buildup in the diapers themselves (although that's where I would look first) I would also consider using a stay dry insert at night so pee isn't against the skin. Also, your child may have very concentrated urine so you may want to see if drinking more water would help too-it's hard to know with littles. Use a diaper cream to keep urine off skin too-I like CJ's butter. Those are my best ideas-good luck!
Pkupstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:56 PM   #15
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the help. DH changes DS for bed, and he has been randomly doing cloth some nights and sposies mostly. Some nights it smells ammonia-y, some not too bad, but no more rashes have happened. Some were the new PFs some were old flats. I remembered (okay found it unexpectedly) I had bought a BG stay dry "sock" for this DS last year when we had trouble with him at night, so we used that the most recent night dipe. I think that first week when I posted this we were washing every other day and it just wasn't cutting it. We weren't rinsing the night diapers right away either--they were brand new and didn't smell, DH was home on vacation changing him in the mornings while I stayed far away with morning sickness...I think we need to wash every day honestly. This kid has been tough at night though for a long time!

So now I'm even more unsure of what to do. The child was dropping nuggets out of his flats/longies and we'd find them on the floor (!!!!) plus for several weeks telling us to change his diaper when wet, so I bit the bullet and decided to potty train him. It worked! At this moment he is taking his first diaper-less nap, so we'll see how that goes. I expect him to still need night diapers, though my last DS trained at 30 months day AND night same time, so did my second DS but at a year older than this current DS (26 months now). And then I have 5 and 7 yos that still wet most nights, and one that did til turning 10, so...

ETA: my point was that now all I have is one night diaper from toddler, one cloth big kid overnight, and possibly one nap diaper per day. I'm thinking about just doing a prewash of those diapers then putting them in with a load of laundry. Otherwise I'll have to put clean diapers in with them to get enough for agitation I think.

Last edited by zeotwoski; 01-31-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:09 PM   #16
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

That's what I do. I only have one kiddo and we're working on potty training,so he only has one wet diaper a night. I either pre-wash/rinse it by hand in the morning, or find a load of something else to wash it with. I often wash it with towels/washclothes, sheets, or whites since I do all those in hot.

ETA: well, and the daily wet undies. But same for them - they go in a regular load. They're less of a problem though, as he usually catches himself before he fully wets them.

Last edited by Elchorrito; 01-31-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #17
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks I'll try it.