Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
gheera47
Registered Users

Thinking about destashing, how many should I keep?

I have way too many diapers! I have more than enough diapers to diaper my 5 month old and 3.5 year old for probably week without washing (I launder every 2-3 days).

I have diapers I don't use, those are obvious, but I have a ton of "China Cheapy" pockets that I love, they dry really fast, are cute, and cheap.

For my son I had a stash of Bumgenis, Flip, and EconoBum, which I bought while still working. Then we had 9 weeks with no running water so to the dump they went 😢. We only recently switched him back to cloth in an effort to potty train, not working though.

I had planned to make diapers for my last baby, but she came 4 weeks early. Friends and family showed up at the hospital with Amazon gift cards and told me to buy diapers. A hundred some odd dollars buys alot of "China cheapies". Since she is my last, I wasn't worried about years and years of use. I figured if I had to toss them again at least they weren't a premium brand this time.

Now that she isn't using a million diapers a day we just have too many. I'm going to put them into low-cost diaper kits for local families. I'm just not sure how many I should keep. 2 days worth? 3 days? 4 days?

I do have a "lot" gDiapers I'm planning to sell. We didn't care for them, so barely used them. If you're interested, PM me.

Advertisement

gheera47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Thinking about destashing, how many should I keep?

I would keep at least three dozen. That's 2-3 days for my 3-month-old. An older kid won't need quite as many, or you could just wash less often.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

I have 30 main diapers, but only one kid. It was more than enough. We used 15, washed, and used the other 15. Any less would've made me have to be more on the ball with washing all the time, but I don't think I'd use any more. I say "main" diapers, because we do have an odd mix of nighttime things that I don't count in the 30. A few fitteds, flats, and kawaii goodnight heavy wetters, but I ended up using sposies at night a little too, so that odd mix never got used like my main diapers
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If they are mostly china cheepies would would keep them all because they may start wearing out. Then you will have to rebuy. You LO is still pretty young and you have a long way to go. I re bought covers about once a year (mostly because velcro wore out), and that was name brand diapers. China cheepies are known for the PUL laminate not lasting as long. If you think your environment to good for storing, maybe store half and bring them out when the others start wearing out.

BTW I personally wouldn't wash more than every 3 days. If you are set on getting rid, I liked enough for 3 days as well. I washed every 2 days but I worked so the diapers could sit in the dryer for a day, it was nice there was that third day until I get them out of the dryer that night.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 10-26-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
gheera47
Registered Users

Thank you for the advice. I did think about just keeping them. I like the idea of 30-36.

In response to them lasting the long run, i ended up buying 10 covers in different brands for the 3.5 year old. He needed a size that went to 40 lbs. About half of them have rise snaps to size down, the other half I could add the snaps to them. They are all name brand and either new or hardly used. Not many 3-4 year olds still in diapers. 😒 The larger adjustable size goes 18-40 lbs. So if the cheapies all die the first year, I should have the second year and up covered. Of course, given my son stops wearing them. 🤔

I think I feel guilty having so much while there are others who have none. I feel that way when it comes to their clothes too. We had 3 families give us clothes. When we are done, we pass them all along to the next family with our additions, but it's alot of clothes. Sometimes we only wear the same 10 outfits.
gheera47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
Pkupstx
Registered Users
seller

I like to pass things along too-I would keep 3 days worth (3 dozen) and ditch the rest. Elastic is always the first thing that goes for me-I never have staining or wear tares. Depending on when you need them you may have to replace the elastics anyway-or have the option to at least.
Pkupstx is offline   Reply With Quote