Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #61
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnappy View Post
My husband had one during his first marriage, after 2 kids. He assumed the marriage would last and he was done with having kids. I think in theory a vasectomy is a great idea, but it can be a game changer or problematic in the future if the marriage should fail or a child die. He had it for about 8 years until we had it reversed, at 1000s of $$. It was great when we were dating but when I want to get married and have a baby.... it sucked, knowing that the reversal may not work. The process itself, according to DH, was painless and it is safe (no assoc with cancer)
Yeah ex dh is regretting his.

Dh got one, he doesnt want more kids and I don't want to be on bc.

Advertisement

KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #62
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone considering vasectomy an option?

NFP and withdrawal, good luck with that!

no, seriously you might need it. all of my pregnancies happened (though many many years apart- 14yo, 6yo, and now im expecting at the end of this month) while this was our birth control method-NFP via the TCOYF method plus condoms, we didnt even risk withdrawal.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #63
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepoet
NFP and withdrawal, good luck with that!

no, seriously you might need it. all of my pregnancies happened (though many many years apart- 14yo, 6yo, and now im expecting at the end of this month) while this was our birth control method-NFP via the TCOYF method plus condoms, we didnt even risk withdrawal.
Yes, I'm way too fertile to risk that! It was great while I needed to be, but after 5 kids we are definitely done. No more room in the minivan. If my husband gets the big V, and we have an oops after that, I will deal bc it had to have been meant to be. BUT I'm not going to make any effort to help it along and withdrawal/NFP are just asking for trouble for me. I understand why some people might not get it done, but for us, hubby and I are done. I don't worry about divorce; it isn't going to happen for us, and if anything happens to him, there won't be more children for anyone else. ;-)
Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #64
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila

Yes, I'm way too fertile to risk that! It was great while I needed to be, but after 5 kids we are definitely done. No more room in the minivan. If my husband gets the big V, and we have an oops after that, I will deal bc it had to have been meant to be. BUT I'm not going to make any effort to help it along and withdrawal/NFP are just asking for trouble for me. I understand why some people might not get it done, but for us, hubby and I are done. I don't worry about divorce; it isn't going to happen for us, and if anything happens to him, there won't be more children for anyone else. ;-)
Totally agree, we have 3 kids. I come from a very fertile family, my mom got pregnant with me after she got her tubes tied. All our kids were conceived the first month we tried. We are done having kids, DH got a V when our youngest was 2 months old. He was sore for about a week. He's good now. Hopefully it sticks and we don't have anymore, but if we do it will be our little miracle.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #65
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Very fertile here too but Im still not convinced vasectomy is safe.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #66
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Just thought I'd come add more to this discussion. hi mamas.

My DH is getting his V next week!

I am nervous but also I am excited. We have 4 kids (4 amazing kids) and we are so happy. But we are done. I am ready to get thin and stay thin. I am ready to not have to live on 4 hours of sleep a night. I am ready to not smell like spit-up. I am ready to not think of breastmilk as an accessory to my outfit (those white stripes on my right shoulder? Oh, those are part of my shirt! Aren't they nifty?). I'm ready for no more mastitis EVER, no more swollen, beat up vagina after giving birth, no more diapers (in a few years)...

I'm just done. I never thought I would be, but I am. I've enjoyed this chapter of my life and now it's time to turn the page and start a new one - one where I raise the kids I have and I don't add anymore to the pack. I'm looking forward to it.

I feel nostalgic, I feel scared, I have concerns and worries...

But DH and I are fertile as can be. No permanent solution will = more babies eventually. And the fact that I am not even 30 yet, and my mom is nearly 60 and still having regular periods...which means I could have a good 30 yrs of fertility yet....

Hormonal BC doesn't work well with me. Barrier methods are awful (and I'll be honest - we don't have the best self control to use them properly ). We tried the VCF strips, those were awesome, but I'm pretty sure our last kid is a VCF baby. I also charted and avoided, using ladycomp - that's where my 3rd baby came from.... We're birth control failures.

A V really is the best option for us at this point in our lives. I really hope there are no bad awful side effects. DH's Dad had one and has not had any issues. There is no family history of cancer. My Dad had one years ago and is fine. I'm truly hoping for the best outcome.

DH is so scared of the pain from the procedure. It doesn't help that I am just giddy about it and teasing him. (I'm so stupid) I'm excited to never have to worry about this again. I'll baby DH for a few days. I'll make him soup and give him ice for his "boys". I'll let him lay in bed and watch "Dr. Who" on his tablet. And then, hopefully we'll move on with life and it will not be an issue.

Last edited by Kiliki; 05-08-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #67
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Kiliki- I am exactly where you are. My littlest is 2 months and although it is very bittersweet, I am ready for the next phase. I have five sweet monkeys and I need to be able to raise and play with them and not always have a baby to tend to. I love the baby phase, and won't be hurrying this lil one to grow up, but I want to be able to run around with my bigs as well. I want the pumping at work to be done FOREVER! I have at least one more year for that. I nurse for two years and not necessarily looking forward to that being over, but I'm sure I will when the time comes. Boobs have not been my own for 10 years. Hee hee.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #68
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, we're not that fertile so its working for us. And I expect it to keep working for a while. I'm also thinking about lambskin condoms.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #69
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydove
Well, we're not that fertile so its working for us. And I expect it to keep working for a while. I'm also thinking about lambskin condoms.
We LOVE lambskin condoms. Pros for us: completely non irritating (unlike latex where I have to jump up and shower immediately), they are thin and you cant really feel them. The cons: the cost. And Some people dont like the smell. Its a different smell. Not bad. Just different than latex. Its not a medical smell..so maybe some people arent used to that? I cant stand the smell of latex though so to me the smell is better..though not really an issue bc I dont spend a lot of time smelling them .

Condoms have been effective for our 8 years of dtd. For the last year we have been using them in conjuction with withdrawal....and yes, on rare occasions that can be a pita. But (tmi) dh usually lasts longer than me so it hasnt been too big of an issue. We have two kids, neither of which were the result of condom failure. Tried for DS all of one month lol....we were not trying for DD but we went condomless ONE time. ONE TIME. I was sure I wasnt ovulating too. I decided against NFP bc I personally cannot commit to it and I also think I am one of the "very fertile" women. I debated a lady comp but have read failure stories that make me think its not worth the $$. Eventually we may discuss vasectomy again but I just dont see the need to right now. I do understand why families choose them but I am not in that place right now. I can say my family feels complete but I wouldnt be crushed if we had a surprise.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #70
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not only prostate cancer risks and chronic pAin issues but decreased ability to perform sexually and maintain erections are possible outcomes. A shocking number of women on another forum I participated in for years said this had happened to their dh and if they could go back, they would.

Some places I'd read if we were considering it:
https://www.google.com/search?q=post...&client=safari
https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...rp.fxkdyTnQtXg

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote