Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2017, 05:07 AM   #1
meganhc
Registered Users

NB sizing vs one-size?

Hi everyone! Sorry if this is a duplicate question (I'm sure it is, but I couldn't find it in previous threads).

I'm expecting my first in February and my husband and I have recently decided to try cloth diapering. I'd like some input on whether it's necessary to buy a whole NB stash, if I can just stick to one-size diapers, or if I should go with a combination? I understand it probably varies based on the size of the infant, but I'd like a rough idea of what I need before the baby arrives

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Advertisement

meganhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:11 AM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: NB sizing vs one-size?

With my first we started cloth around 6 weeks old and only had OS (one size). We survived. With my second we started from birth and I did buy a newborn stash. I bought it mostly used off if here. He was 9lbs 11oz. And even though he was on the big side we still got use out if our newborn stash. So basically you could go either way but a newborn stash really does fit better at birth.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
meganhc
Registered Users

Ok, thank you. I might end up getting a selection of NB stuff just to be on the safe side. Used seems to be the best bet!
meganhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I bought a whole newborn stash and my baby grew out of it before she was a month old. So, even though I think it is a good idea to have newborn diapers (my one-size dipes are way big on her still), I'm going to stick with cheaper options for next time, prefolds and flats and inexpensive used fitteds and probably a few AIOs again for babysitters/church/diaper bag. I loved having diapers that fit right at first, but prefolds and flats are more adjustable anyway and (hopefully) will fit baby longer than those beautiful newborn-sized fitteds that cost a fortune (and I even bought them used!) and were outgrown in less than 4 weeks. FYI - the six used NB Simplex were the only diapers I bought originally that still fit past four weeks, and they still have room to grow. She's just a month now. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I usually use prefolds for newborns. That way you don't spend a fortune but the diapers actually fit. They don't use them very long, so things are usually in great shape and you can sell them to get some of the investment back. To me it's worth it though--one size really doesn't fit on a NB well. My babies tend to grow pretty slowly so we usually get quite a bit of use out of our newborn stuff.

Another though--Some families also choose to do disposables for the first month or so until baby has plumped up a little and the OS stash fits better.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you'd like to start day 1 or close to it then you almost always need a newborn stash. If your LO is bigger than can start wearing OS in the 2-4 weeks range depending. The only OS I've read about that may fit a newborn are softbums because they have the infinite elastic adjustment. Never used them myself.

I like using the size 1 of a 2 size system then go to OS. Thirsities duo size one covers will fit most newborns 6lbs or higher and should fit for AT LEAST the first couple of months if not longer. Capri use to have a size 1 and 2 but I think they switch to calling it newborn and OS, but they same thing. If the "newborn" cover has rise snaps there is a good change it will fit for longer. With my second I also did RAR nb that has rise snaps, it suppose to fit at 4lbs, my 8lb started at the mid-snap. They didn't last as long as the thirsties but I got good use out of them as well.

If you click "first diaper" in my signature you can see pics of my second in thirsties sz1, RAR nb, and capri size 1 in her first weeks, with weight estimations.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 08-23-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #7
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

App ate my first attempt at responding so we'll try again...

I'd consider whether you're planning to have more babies after this one. If not, I'd skip the newborn stash and do sposies until the one-size fit. If you're pretty sure you want more babies, a nb stash might be worth it.

Here's why: nb diapers fit much better on a newborn, but they aren't super absorbant. DS was over 8 lbs at birth, and almost 14 lbs by 2 months. He slept 6 hrs in a stretch the very first week. He started leaking out of many diapers around 2 weeks, so I moved him to one-size diapers at about 1 month. So... He used nb diapers for ~1 month, and leaked out of them for about half of that. Not worth it if I only bought them for him, but my next baby is going to be a dainty little girl, I'm sure. And she won't pee much either, so I will hopefully get my money's worth out of them someday. If I we're starting over, I might skip them altogether and just do sposies.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
eliz.lutz
Registered Users

My Mood:

We used the newborn period to buy second hand, try a bunch of different types of diapers and see what worked best for our family. And because we only used them for a month, we were able to resell them all with minimal loss.

Doing it this way we quickly learned a lot about what he'd tolerate and what we'd tolerate so that we could make smarter decisions when building our OS stash. For example, while I had thought we wanted all organic cotton it turns out he hated feeling wet so to avoid changing him every 30 minutes we decided to go with synthetics that felt dryer. And, our family found all-in-ones easier to navigate over the prefolds.

It was definitely a GREAT learning experience. Hope that helps.
eliz.lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #9
kristinajura
Registered Users
seller

With my first I didn't realize how tiny newborns can be (even though he was 7lb 7oz, so not exactly tiny)... anyway, he was in disposables for probably 3 months before anything I had bought fit properly.
With #2, I did buy nb size prefolds & more nb/ Thirsties size 1 covers. And even though he was 9lb 6oz at birth, I got enough use out of it all that it was worth it and definitely saved us money over using a month or 2 of disposables. Now for #3 due soon, I did buy more nb prefolds (& some fitteds for variety) because I only had 2 dozen nb prefolds with #2 and was dangerously close to running out of diapers a few times between ones in the wash & dirties. He went through a ton of diapers as a newborn.

I definitely second the mom that said it's absolutely more worth it to buy nb size if you're planning to have more than one child. If not, then I wouldn't really bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #10
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Your baby will fit longer in newborn diapers like Simplex (fits up to 16 pounds) and Bottombumpers (fits up to 18 pounds). I have big babies who grow very quickly in the first few months and those fit even my babies for a few months. OS doesn't really fit well until 14 or 15 pounds in my opinion, and even then, they are bulky. You can probably get them on a smaller baby (12 pounds or so) and not have any leaks, but they are gigantic.