Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #11
greenacres
Registered Users
seller

Re: Spraying diapers & table setup questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsaremyheart View Post
I just thought of this: when taking the diaper off, I take the front of the prefold, where there usually is no poop, and wipe down the butt as I fold the diaper onto itself. That gets rid of most of the poop before I even get to the wipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, I set up a changing table in my bathroom and started wiping with the prefold as I take off the diaper and it has helped greatly! I moved my dirty diaper basket to near the toilet so I can just slide it over and drop the soaking diaper after spraying into it. Thank you all for the advice! I was having the cloth diaper equivalent to a writers block or something, haha. Now, if I could just keep these PFs from leaking poo around the legs.

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #12
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacres View Post
Ok, I set up a changing table in my bathroom and started wiping with the prefold as I take off the diaper and it has helped greatly! I moved my dirty diaper basket to near the toilet so I can just slide it over and drop the soaking diaper after spraying into it. Thank you all for the advice! I was having the cloth diaper equivalent to a writers block or something, haha. Now, if I could just keep these PFs from leaking poo around the legs.
Jelly roll the legs!
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #13
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
Jelly roll the legs!
yes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacres View Post

Yay! I'm glad it's working for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #14
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Also, this might be gross, but you might not have to rinse off as much as you think. I use cloth wipes and basically never rinse them unless they have a large chunk that will shake off. I don't have a sprayer, so I dunk and swirl, but I really only do that for a particularly pasty one. Chunks that fall off get shook off. Most stuff I just let go in the washer and my diapers are white as snow.

Also, when you're out just roll up the prefold, bring it home and deal with it later. Most times that works fine. It isn't very fun dealing with a day's worth of nasty diapers, but it isn't THAT bad.

Also...just when you get it all figured out, his poop will change
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #15
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Also, this might be gross, but you might not have to rinse off as much as you think. I use cloth wipes and basically never rinse them unless they have a large chunk that will shake off. I don't have a sprayer, so I dunk and swirl, but I really only do that for a particularly pasty one. Chunks that fall off get shook off. Most stuff I just let go in the washer and my diapers are white as snow.

Also, when you're out just roll up the prefold, bring it home and deal with it later. Most times that works fine. It isn't very fun dealing with a day's worth of nasty diapers, but it isn't THAT bad.

Also...just when you get it all figured out, his poop will change
When DS started solids so many years ago I tried just washing the poop off anyway.... BAD idea. It does depend what "solids" mean to you. Traditional baby food, yeah you can probably just wash it.

We did baby led weaning - lots of unchewed food was also not getting digested = lots of 'clean' chunks in the washer that are not fun to clean/pick out. Think things like fruit skins and corn all left over in the washer. This happened to me again a few month later after our first real puke in bed. You can't just throw the sheets in the washer either, need to get the chunks off first.

Sorry for the ew factor but if I can save someone else to have to deal with this I'd be a happy person.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 09-18-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #16
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacres
Oh, almost forgot. I also use cloth wipes. Do you spray each wipe also? Sometimes I end up using 5 or 6 wipes for a diaper change and this seems so tedious to rinse each one. I've heard of disposable liners, Would these work with PFs? Are they natural?
This seems exessive. What are you using for cloth wipes. I use grovia and at most I use 2 wipes but that's rare it's usually 1 and done.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #17
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

I would only rinse a poopy wipe if it had visual chucks on it, something that could hide a fruit skin or something that won't disappear in the washer. Five wipes does seem like a lot ...
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #18
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

I use cloth wipes and usually spray the first one only.

My changing table is in his room. I set the diaper down on the floor, finish changing him, pick it up and walk it to the bathroom where I spray it (cloth wipe inside). I use tongs to hold it and spray it down. Then I put it in a plastic wipes container and walk it back to his room.

I just realized that the difference is probably that I use AIOs and that’s why I can set it down.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #19
gheera47
Registered Users

I must be excessive, I hand wash all the poopy diapers in the toilet first with soap.

I'm diapering two, 5 month old and a almost 4 year old (wish he'd potty train, but that is for another post).

The changing table is in our bedroom. I put the baby in the port-a-crib and put the toddler on the changing table, if he is not wet I can usually get him to pee in the potty. Then I do the baby. Wet diapers get walked into the bathroom with baby in tow and dropped into a 3 1/2 gallon icing bucket from the grocery store. The poopy one​ gets dropped on the floor next to the toilet. If I can wash it right away I do, but sometimes they pile up till my husband comes home.

I have a bouncy seat in the bathroom so I can go potty with my eyes on the baby. Toddler isn't to be trusted alone with the baby. Usually he is fine, but wants to pick her up when she cries.

I have a stool I sit on in front of the toilet. I wear dishwashing gloves and use a soft brush meant for dishes and scrub the poo off in the toilet. Flush. Then I use a bar of laundry soap and scrub the stain off. Rinse out the soap. Squeeze as much water out as possible, then drop in the bucket. I also rinse the toddler urine soaked diapers in the toilet, other-wise the ammonia smell builds up. I save everything in the bathroom bucket for a day or two then wash in the machine. Hot wash with Tide or the like and cold rinse with vinegar added.

Works for us. No rashes, no smells, and almost no stains.

I treat the cloth wipes the same way. Sometimes I use a disposable for the first wipe. I just put it in the trash can next to the toilet when I'm rinsing.

Hope this helps. It's not as much work as it may seem. The diapers are practically clean before they go in the washer.

Last edited by gheera47; 10-24-2017 at 01:01 PM.
gheera47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #20
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheera47 View Post
I must be excessive, I hand wash all the poopy diapers in the toilet first with soap.

I'm diapering two, 5 month old and a almost 4 year old (wish he'd potty train, but that is for another post).

The changing table is in our bedroom. I put the baby in the port-a-crib and put the toddler on the changing table, if he is not wet I can usually get him to pee in the potty. Then I do the baby. Wet diapers get walked into the bathroom with baby in tow and dropped into a 3 1/2 gallon icing bucket from the grocery store. The poopy one​ gets dropped on the floor next to the toilet. If I can wash it right away I do, but sometimes they pile up till my husband comes home.

I have a bouncy seat in the bathroom so I can go potty with my eyes on the baby. Toddler isn't to be trusted alone with the baby. Usually he is fine, but wants to pick her up when she cries.

I have a stool I sit on in front of the toilet. I wear dishwashing gloves and use a soft brush meant for dishes and scrub the poo off in the toilet. Flush. Then I use a bar of laundry soap and scrub the stain off. Rinse out the soap. Squeeze as much water out as possible, then drop in the bucket. I also rinse the toddler urine soaked diapers in the toilet, other-wise the ammonia smell builds up. I save everything in the bathroom bucket for a day or two then wash in the machine. Hot wash with Tide or the like and cold rinse with vinegar added.

Works for us. No rashes, no smells, and almost no stains.

I treat the cloth wipes the same way. Sometimes I use a disposable for the first wipe. I just put it in the trash can next to the toilet when I'm rinsing.

Hope this helps. It's not as much work as it may seem. The diapers are practically clean before they go in the washer.
Wow I think I would quit cloth before doing all this! I'm way too lazy - I would never keep up with the pile by the toilet.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote