Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
notsomuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Relocating to Aurora/Centennial So many questions!

Hi, We're moving our family from New Orleans -6 elevation to southeast-ish Denver, 5k+ elevation. Any other mamas out there? We're pretty excited! I'm so nervous. Humidity here is commonly at 70%, and our elevation is actually below sea level. What a crazy change, it'll be. Anyway, we're a pretty normal family - we like to TRY to eat healthy, get outside, and we like meeting people. We're on the nerdy side, as well, playing board games and even dungeons and dragons with the kids! Haha!

In New Orleans, people are relatively nice and strike up conversations at any given time. I read that people in CO do not care much to have passing convo. I can adjust, as long as I can make friends. Anyway, I'd love to hear your relocation experience to the Denver area.

Some of my crazy non-mountain having ridiculous fears are:
1. Bear attacks

2. Mountain lion attacking my toddler and younger daughter (I know, crazy!)

3. Elevation Sickness

4. Skin cancer/dry skin and dehydration

5. Life without central A/C and heat (will try hard to find a house with one),

6. My kids getting bullied at their new school. My kids haven't experienced bullying, yet and I have one who is going into 9th grade. I hope to find a school with both strong academics and a good mix of diversity. I do know the area where we'd live isn't as diverse as compared to New Orleans.

6. My search for friendships and strong connection.

Advertisement

Wife and athlete Mama of the following cluster of girls: 12 year old, 11 year old ,(VBAC), 7 year old (VBAC #2) and my toddler girl, 2 years old
Why on earth is this laundry lady smiling?

Last edited by notsomuch; 07-04-2018 at 11:43 AM.
notsomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Relocating to Aurora/Centennial So many questions!

I use to live in Aurora, CO while my husband was stationed there with the military, so I will go down your list and hit on those points.

Aurora is huge at 300,000+ people and very much a part of the metro city along with Centennial. You will find big city life there with lots of traffic, people, and not very much wildlife. You are about and hour to two hours from the mountain there so no bears and mountain lions. There are coyotes and prairie dogs but they are pretty harmless.

Elevation sickness is real but you adjust within the week. That happens when you go up to high to fast like making that trip in a day and it does not happen all that often.

Your skin will be very dry the first little bit but your body will adjust and you just learn to put sunscreen on when outside.

Most houses have a/c and heat because it is cold in the winter and hot during the summer, they have bot extremes but it will feel like a different heat to you because there is not a lot of humidity.

As far as schools try to get a house in Centennial, Aurora schools are not good and Aurora itself is a poorer suburb in comparison to others but definitely stay away from Commerce City which is very near to there. As far as diversity it is very diverse there, people from all nationalities and walks of life especially with the military base being there.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote