Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #41
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: March Farm/Homesteading Chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by missc View Post
Hey all! We've been super busy around here, but getting things done. Have 2 bottle calves now (that's the limit for this year I believe). The pigs are outside and doing fab.the raw milk from the dairy just stopped, but I'm glad they're outside. Plants are growing - maters, broccoli, peppers, and hops. We put the fence up for the garden today, and will be doing the dog run soon, perimeter fence this coming week.
Looks like everyone else is super busy with spring too!
Amanda, that's awesome on the pig!
Happy Easter to everyone tomorrow!
Aw... I told DH I want a couple bottle feeders right now... must be Spring. He just laughed at me and said with the chicks coming April 10th and hogs in the next couple weeks, milking, plowing, and gardening; I'll be busy enough. He may be right, but I have a farm friend keeping an eye out for me. I do need to halter train our jersey calf, Maizy though so maybe that should come first.

That is neat you were getting milk from the dairy. I'm hoping that BamBam calves by the time we get our hogs so they can benefit from all the whey. I haven't cultured much with milk lately since Rosie gives so little. She is such a sweet cow though and I'm so bummed she won't give more. Dublinup-Have you had any cows that just don't produce much more than a gallon at a time??? It's so frustrating as she is perfectly healthy though her bag is so low (the dairy really worked her hard and they did use hormones so that is why she gave so much for them).

DH has gotten a couple fields plowed. It's hard to believe planting time is almost here. It means we won't see much of him.

This week we have a few appts. and a freezer meal cooking day (need more ready meals for busy days). No playdates planned as we had quite a few last week. So it's catch up around here!

Advertisement

raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #42
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Down staffed at work so I got to come home early, which was fine by me. Got pulled out of a room today to take a woman in labor who painted and came to the ER instead of OB up toOB. Every time they float me up there or I take a lady in labor up I get hit with baby fever pretty badly. Too bad DH has had a V.

One of my he's had gone broody and pulled out her chest feathers. Got some fertile eggs from my mom to put in her nest, we'll see how she does, I also borrowed her incubator and a few more eggs to batch on my own. So glad for spring!!

RCB I'm wanting to go nuts inn the gaming to and having to try and show some restraint, it's hard huh??
Old 03-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #43
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
Down staffed at work so I got to come home early, which was fine by me. Got pulled out of a room today to take a woman in labor who painted and came to the ER instead of OB up toOB. Every time they float me up there or I take a lady in labor up I get hit with baby fever pretty badly. Too bad DH has had a V.

One of my he's had gone broody and pulled out her chest feathers. Got some fertile eggs from my mom to put in her nest, we'll see how she does, I also borrowed her incubator and a few more eggs to batch on my own. So glad for spring!!

RCB I'm wanting to go nuts inn the gaming to and having to try and show some restraint, it's hard huh??
Oh my goodness, I can only imagine that would cause baby fever. I have a bit of baby fever right now. Really trying to be respectful of DH's decision to be done baby making, but couple the baby fever with the fact we both HATE "raincoats"... I'm going a bit crazy.

Oh my goodness, the incubator sounds like a great science project for the kids! How long do you incubate them for and can you buy fertile eggs from stores?
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #44
dublinup
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Hey all! We've been super busy around here, but getting things done. Have 2 bottle calves now (that's the limit for this year I believe). The pigs are outside and doing fab.the raw milk from the dairy just stopped, but I'm glad they're outside. Plants are growing - maters, broccoli, peppers, and hops. We put the fence up for the garden today, and will be doing the dog run soon, perimeter fence this coming week.
Looks like everyone else is super busy with spring too!
Amanda, that's awesome on the pig!
Happy Easter to everyone tomorrow!
Yeah for more bottle calves. That is probably my biggest job/hobby. I'm trying to make myself focus on the garden, but most of my day is spent with 3 kids, a diaper business, and lots and lots of bottle calves. Can you get a nurse cow? What I do is get them started on a bottle, then once I think they are big enough not to die from too much milk intake, I put them on my cows. This totally helps me with milking too. I usually milk out two udders, then leave one for each calf. Then you'd have your own raw milk since the dairy dried up.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #45
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

RCB: hate "rain coats" too! That's how we got#4. though neither of us really wanted him to get clipped we were too poor not to. Every method we tried either failed our was disastrous to my body and we're really had a hard time getting to feed the 4 we had without welfare (no offense to those who have it/need it, it's just not something we were prepared to accept). Now with a couple new jobs (and I'm be going to a fill in on occasion position in August) it really make both DH and I that we can't have anymore. We know it's for things best tho.

You can buy fertile eggs online even and have them sent. I stole mine from my mom, put 3 under my body hen and the rest in the incubator, we'll see how both mama chicken and I do

Greenhouse will be ready next week and hopefully the temps in there will hold well enough that I can start hardening off my seedlings and get them into the desired beds soon, so eager to plant.

DH's project he wants to do this summer is build the girls a tree house which will be cool! Well also be dismantling the trailer on our other piece of property and damaging the wood to build whatever I set my mind on this year such as a lean to for the pigs, I also want to put a coop closer to the house for my laying ladies and turn the existing coop into one for meat birds or just a small barn. And maybe a large dog house and run, not sure if we're going to attempt taking 2 dogs with us across country this summer or build them a snazzy place and have them checked on a couple times a day (my mom will be stopping by to check on the other animals anyway.)
Old 04-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #46
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hey guys I have a quick question about our bottle calves. I'd chat more, but it's super busy right now - we had a house fire Easter Sunday. we're all safe though, praise God, just out of the house for a while. Dh brought home another calf that wasn't 100% well, from the same dairy and all. Now jersey seems sick too and doesn't want to eat. I know they probably need something and NOW - what can we/should we give them? Symptoms: lethargy, holding head to the side, decreased appetite. My husbands aunt was at our house over the weekend and thought ear infection in the Holstein mix before we knew jersey had it too. Holstein is feeling better though.
Good to see ya'll...
Old 04-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #47
dublinup
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Hey guys I have a quick question about our bottle calves. I'd chat more, but it's super busy right now - we had a house fire Easter Sunday. we're all safe though, praise God, just out of the house for a while. Dh brought home another calf that wasn't 100% well, from the same dairy and all. Now jersey seems sick too and doesn't want to eat. I know they probably need something and NOW - what can we/should we give them? Symptoms: lethargy, holding head to the side, decreased appetite. My husbands aunt was at our house over the weekend and thought ear infection in the Holstein mix before we knew jersey had it too. Holstein is feeling better though.
Good to see ya'll...
Before I get my Jersey calves I order two products; one called Resorb which is an electrolyte solution for scours, and I also get First Defense bolus capsules to kill any infection (I order through valley vet supply). I also have a tube/bottle set up. When they refuse to eat because of being sick or have the scours you need to tube them them ASAP with milk or electrolytes. Don't wait to tube them when they are sick and refusing to eat. Since getting that electrolyte solution I've been able to bring them back. Before I got it, if one got to the point of tubing, it was a done deal.
I'm still new to raising Jersey bull calves, so I have a lot to learn myself. Unfortunately I've learned the hard way. I was totally bummed to have lost 5 this past winter. When I went to the dairy to pick up my new milk cow the owner told me he lost 35 heifer calves. Oh dear lord I'd be stroking out. Those are massive numbers for a dairy that only has 400 in milk that is like losing 10% of your future herd.
Keep at it though. You'll either have beef for yourself, a future Jersey bull to do your own breeding, or you can sell him. I'm selling a 6 month old today for $300. I had four offers on CL within 12 hours for him. On the other hand I'm the WORST cattle trader ever. I'm so soft hearted it kills me to sell an animal that I've spent so much time with.

RCB-I can't remember if I told you we ended up keeping half the sheep. I'm going to upload pics of the Uruguayans shearing later today.