Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
greenacres
Registered Users
seller

1 year old.. is it too late?

Now that my 13 month old is eating a lot more solids I am SO sick of rinsing poopy cloth diapers in my toilet. I want to get him going on the potty! I've been 'treating myself' and using disposables a couple days a week to lessen the daily laundry for more time to clean the house. ANYWAYS, We've done some diaper free time and I know his poo cues, (he squats and gets a certain look on his face). I have a Bjorn potty. He hates sitting on it. The few times I've caught him peeing while diaperless, I put him on the potty and make a psssss sound and he immediately stops peeing then stands up and keeps peeing. I have to hold him down to keep him sitting on the potty and that upsets him obv. We have very rough hewn wood floors (think cabin) that aren't exactly wipeable, so I am concerned about poops on the floor and not being really able to sanitize or poop going in between the cracks. Should I just wait longer and try to potty train later rather than EC now? I don't know why he hates the potty so much, he acts like a reverse magnet when I set him on it, pushing away and squirming. Thanks y'all!

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 1 year old.. is it too late?

It's not exactly traditional EC at this point, more like early potty learning. Tt will be tough if your LO already doesn't like sitting on the potty though. I started my first about 9m and my second about 12m - basically just sitting them on the potty when i thought they needed to go. Is there a way you can make sitting on the potty fun? A book or a quick activity with mom (like patty cake or something). I like the idea I read on the other recent post about this... you go in the big potty and see if your LO will go on the little potty too.

Otherwise maybe you LO would prefer to go on the big potty either try out some of the EC holding position or get a seat insert. DS used the bjorn potty probably too long, DD initiated switching to the toilet what I would consider early - we already had the inserts inside the lids from DS (which he never used) so it worked out.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 11-20-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

We started at 12 months. When we started, we spent a LOT of time sitting and waiting. Read books, watch YouTube, drink a juice box, play with a new toy...whatever you can think of to make the potty fun.

I second pixi6s - there might be a potty he likes better. At this point, my DS pretty much hates small potties and almost exclusively uses the regular potty with no insert. Just his current mood. Also, if he prefers and you can handle it, you could just let him pee standing up. But help him aim! Try catching it in a cup or something. Poops will have to be sitting though
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
greenacres
Registered Users
seller

Thanks y'all! Yeah, my husband has tried showing him by going in the adult potty right next to his little potty. Maybe I'll try and insert!
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

The advantage of an insert on a regular potty is that a 12 month old cannot get off the potty.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote