Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
luckyducky77
Registered Users
seller

I'm going for my first natural birth in the hospital. My ob has been quite supportive so I'm very optimistic this will happen. I have no issues with them doing their intermittent monitoring and having the heplock in place. My support team is my husband and our moms. Figure they've done it before they can help encourage us and take care of us, like make sure DH gets food in him.

Advertisement

luckyducky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
SkyeBattest
Registered Users
seller

Me! I'm gonna try for all natural in the hospital this is my first baby so I'm not sure what to expect I keep hearing horror stories but I think I can do it
Skye ~cloth diapering, babywearing, keeping our boy whole, organic loving, crunchy Momma to one cute little boy born 6/22/12 Hunter Wyatt ~ and currently TTC baby #2

ISO: Chelory AI2's

SkyeBattest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
luckyducky77
Registered Users
seller

So far no one has told me horror stories but I did have a patient tell me to take the epidural. I told her flatly that I plan to do it naturally. Why would I take advice from someone I know has poor coping skills?!? Silly patients. I have another patient, one of my all natural ladies, who said to me, "I assume you're going to try for a natural birth.". Guess I'm glad I didn't have to disappoint her by saying, "no, i'm getting hooked up to drugs ASAP." my plan has been to tell women trying to tell me horror stories that I've experienced enough through training, I don't need to hear your story if it isn't positive. I think we can all do it! I'm getting so excited that I'm only 2 months away from my due date.
luckyducky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Aingeru
Registered Users

Re: Natural Birth

I'm planning on a natural birth at a hospital. I had one with DS, this hospital is also very baby friendly.

My first experience was wonderful, of course it was painful but no horror story at all. My labor was pretty fast and I came in almost fully dilated (not knowingly). The nurses were wonderful, no one pushed meds, IV/Hep-lock, epidurals or any kind of intervention on me. My OB was also very hands off and gentle. I didn't have time to get in the tub (you're allowed to labor there, but not deliver), but I was allowed to walk as much as I wanted, I had a rocking chair, birthing ball and everything available to me. I was allowed to lower the lights, play music, etc. I was insanely thirsty so the nurses kept bringing huge cups of juice with lots of ice. Between contractions at the very end of transition I'd start shaking and feel cold, so they brought warm blankets for me. I did have intermittent monitoring, and I did tear because DS was posterior and I pushed for over an hour, I was exhausted from the intense labor and my legs couldn't hold me anymore, so I was in a semi-sitting position and really didn't think of trying other positions.

As soon as DS was born, he was placed on my chest, they dried him off there, they encouraged me to try BF right away. We roomed in, had lots of support for BF. I really had no complaints. I was really pampered by the nurses and all out choices were respected.

This time I may hire a doula but only because there is a slight chance that DH won't be in town close to my due date (I was 2 weeks early with DS) and that freaks me out. My mom has to stay with DS, and I don't want to be alone without a support person. But I'm really hoping for a similar experience, I'll try to get to the hospital earlier so I can take advantage of the tub and I want to try a different position for pushing, and ask for perineal support to avoid tearing.

I did take the childbirth class at the hospital last time. I found them to be very balanced, helpful and reassuring since I had a better idea of what to expect, my choices, etc. This time I'm reading a few books and maybe an online refresher course.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #15
Mom2G&J
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm planning a natural birth in a hospital. My first was a natural birth in a hospital and was so peaceful. My second was medicated birth with an epidural and was less than peaceful. So I'm back to an unmedicated birth and I'm so excited about it. The hospital I'm going to is very natural friendly. My Dr said that as long as everything is going well, she'll let me walk and labor in the tub. I can't deliver there though.
DH and I took classes the last two times so we aren't taking one this time. DH is so good during labor and his mom is a Bradley coach so she's just one phone call away if we need her advice. She lives too far away to actually be there for the birth, but we can call her.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
mariba121
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've had two natural childbirths in hospitals. The key is having an awesome midwife and/or doula
mariba121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

I am planning a natural birth at a hospital more natural-friendly than the one my first two kids were born at. I LOVE my OB, the last thing she wants for her patients is drugs or c/s.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
erkelly
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm planning a naural birth at the hospital. With DS, I arrived at the hospital 1 1/2 hours after my water broke (that's how far away we lived) and I was 7 cm. He came about 45 minutes later. Even if I had wanted the drugs and everything, it wouldn't have been an option for me. I'm cautiously optimistic that this next birth will go smoothly as well (even though it was chaotic with all the doctors scrambling to get their sterilized supplies ready for me!) DS came out in just a few contractions of pushing. I am afraid that if his birth went so fast, this next one, being my 2nd, will likely be even faster. We live only 30-45 minutes from our hospital now (a different one) and I hope that's enough time to get there. We considered home birth (I was born at home), but DH is so scared of it. And quite frankly I was treated like a queen at the hospital and wouldn't mind a couple days of pampering. It also helps that our insurance (tricare from the military) covers 100% of delivery...our sons $9,000 hospital bill cost us $32...probably for an extra blanket or soda lol.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #19
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hoping for a natural VBAC in the hospital as I have no midwives locally to do a homebirth.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Homebirth. My first was a c/s, second a HBAC. I can't wait. I am having a doula. I had one with the first, not with the homebirth (because I had 2 midwives) and really felt I missed out. Even with having a not so stellar hospital experience and a not so stellar home experience, we'll take the home any day. The c/s rate at the hospitals here in Memphis run between 35% and 40%, no way would I try to VBAC in them.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote