Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:
Really Need Some Prayers

I'll explain our situation because we need some miracles right now...

DH is currently the only one working - he works 60 miles away as a "tech agent". I used to also work there, but our second car has so much wrong with it, it can't be driven 120 miles round trip anymore - we probably shouldn't even be driving it to town and back. Anyways, we are expecting a daughter February 15th, and we plan to cloth diaper and breastfeed. I've been having a lot of anxiety about breastfeeding because I'm afraid I won't be able to do it for some reason (a lot of bad dreams about not being able to do it). Also, we are struggling to get all the cloth diaper supplies we need. We still need things like a pail, a liner, newborn diapers, and a nighttime solution. We recently got our propane tank filled up, so we currently owe over $300 to the propane company for the propane and we aren't sure how we are going to pay for it....we thought we'd be able to get energy assistance, but we make literally $40 too much (gross pay)...we actually are right above the cut-off for most assistance, which really sucks because if they looked at our net instead of our gross, they would see how much we are struggling (DH pays $400 in child support each month and the state wont reduce it because it hasn't been 3 years since we last tried to get it changed)...Meanwhile, we fired up the propane furnace, and we found that there is something wrong with it...it'll run for a little while but then it goes completely out for no reason...we've had someone look at it, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, and we can't afford to hire a "professional" to look at it...so I guess we are going to just keep relighting it every time it goes out. It has me really worried because it gets really cold in here really fast (it's a mobile home)...and with an infant in the house soon...ugh. We are hoping it miraculously just starts working. We thought about asking our church for assistance, but it would feel inappropriate to me because my father is the Youth Pastor there...we just really need some prayers because we are unsure what to do....we really need some miracles because it seems like our whole world is falling apart lately...

Advertisement

B's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Really Need Some Prayers

Have you looked into the cloth diaper network? I think they used to be called miracle diapers - they might be able to help you out.

And I've never dealt with a furnace but a friend of mine said most problems are from the sensor glass needing to be cleaned. If that means nothing just ignore it - he might have been talking about something internal that is easy to fix if you're a pro.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
B's Mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
Have you looked into the cloth diaper network? I think they used to be called miracle diapers - they might be able to help you out.

And I've never dealt with a furnace but a friend of mine said most problems are from the sensor glass needing to be cleaned. If that means nothing just ignore it - he might have been talking about something internal that is easy to fix if you're a pro.
I've never heard of the cloth diaper network...do you have more information about it?

As for the propane furnace...I'm not sure what a sensor glass is (or if ours has one)...we switched out the thermocouple, which is what tells the furnace to cut off the gas supply if it gets too cold (thinks the flame is out and stops propane from pouring into the house)....and the propane guy who looked at it for us said everything "appears" to look perfect...there isn't an "obvious" reason to why it's doing it...it's pretty baffling...
Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That sucks about the furnace. I wish I could help you out more - my answer to most stuff like that is google and youtube. Guys I work with taught themselves to weld using youtube - maybe there is "how to tune up your furnace" or something lol.

Here is the link for the Cloth Diaper Foundation: http://www.clothdiaperfoundation.org/

Basically you fill out an application and if you qualify they'll loan you cloth diapers (you aren't allowed to sell or trade them). They have all the details on their page - I think some mamas here donate their dipes that are in good shape to them.

HTH
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
B's Mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
That sucks about the furnace. I wish I could help you out more - my answer to most stuff like that is google and youtube. Guys I work with taught themselves to weld using youtube - maybe there is "how to tune up your furnace" or something lol.

Here is the link for the Cloth Diaper Foundation: http://www.clothdiaperfoundation.org/

Basically you fill out an application and if you qualify they'll loan you cloth diapers (you aren't allowed to sell or trade them). They have all the details on their page - I think some mamas here donate their dipes that are in good shape to them.

HTH
Thank you for that link. I'll have to talk to the DH and see if we'll be able to do the shipping (I can probably save for it because I have to wait about a couple weeks before I can apply anyways to be within 2 months of delivering). In the mean time, I am making as many dipes as I can outta old clothes. As for the furnace I think we've googled all we can. For right now, we have a big box of matches, so we'll keep relighting it...but once the baby gets here we might have to all stay in like the living room with a space heater - it should start getting warm in March/April, so we won't have TOO long after Brooklyn is born to worry - I think I need to start praying for a short winter. lol
Old 12-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
hi_lily
Registered Users

Hi Virginia90, would you like some Thirsties Fab Fitted small and Green Mountain prefold fitted (need a snappie, which I will give you too)? I will also give you the diaper pail liner. Sorry I gave the covers away already. the diapers were only used for 1 month. PM me if you want them - I don't check this site often. -Lily

Last edited by hi_lily; 12-14-2010 at 05:53 PM.
hi_lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
rondo515
Registered Users

May all be well for you all.
rondo515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
MiriamAlissa
Registered Users
seller

I'm on the vestry at my church, and I think that if children of a staff member needed help we would be even more willing to help. The church might know a furnace person.

And many mothers get nervous about breastfeeding, but you can do it! Compared to giving birth it is a piece of cake. Our hospital distributes phone lists of local women willing to take phone calls about breastfeeding, there are La Leche Leagues.
MiriamAlissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
B's Mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For some reason, I am not worried at all about giving birth - I think I've prayed enough about it that God's given me a calm and I know to just trust my body.

I meant to update sooner, but things have been crazy around here. The furnace problem *seems* to be sorted out for now - at least temporarily. There was a place where the exhaust exchange was disconnected, and I guess the exhaust wasn't getting out right. My DH put metal duct tape around it, and it hasn't blown out since. We aren't sure how long it will last, but we've been looking into converting an old metal water tank into a wood-burning stove since there is plenty of wood on the property that we could use. Propane is SO expensive and we now owe the propane guy over $600 (we had a leak that luckily my dad smelled when he came over one day, and the propane guy found it and fixed it...but by then all our propane was almost gone).