Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Dont usually ask but... UPDATE

We need prayers and thoughts. Last monday my husband put in his two week notice, (with a new job starting on the 17th) They told him to turn in his van and go home on the spot. So there are two weeks with no money and no job. Next is the hard part. Waiting two more weeks for a pay check. That puts us at four weeks with no income at all. I have been going to the food pantries in my area to try to help us get by. They can only help so much. Feeding a family of 6 can be difficult even if there werent the need to go get food from someone else. We dont even have rent for January let alone the normal bills. I have no idea how we are going to put gas in our truck for him to get to and from his job for two weeks.
Ok, now Im crying.. So I guess I will end this. Just please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

So, he goes back to work on Monday. Only two weeks left. He applied for unemployment so hoping for that check to come in sometime this week. Also I have an appointment at the local foodstamps office tuesday. Crossing my fingers we get approved. (Made my grocery list and it is super long just with the must haves on it.) Planning on doing soup and sandwiches all weekend. ODS will be at his fathers house and dd will be at her friends so that just leaves me, dh and yds to feed. Only have 3 4lb chickens and 1 meal of porkchops left in the deep freeze. Got the feeling we will be doing a ton of chicken soon. Tonite is breakfast for dinner. Still praying nightly for God to help us thru this awful time. The cut off notice has come for the electricity. Thank Got heat is propane. Just keep us in your prayers.

Advertisement

Last edited by blane,j,&morgansmom; 01-13-2011 at 02:19 PM.
blane,j,&morgansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
FairyBeautifulMama
Registered Users
Formerly: j***imm
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dont usually ask but...

That just doesn't sound right to me. Like they shouldnt be allowed to do that. Have you looked into getting WIC? Maybe call them and explain what happened and that you hope to be starting a new job in the next month. Or someone at the unemployment office? I am soo sorry mama.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Spikettes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Call your bills. See if they can make an arrangement or if you can schedule a payment for when he will start getting paid. Talk to your landlord as well, they may be willing to wait. Local churches may be able to help out other ways than just food. Gas cards, etc.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am on wic, and unemployment told us the soonest they could get money to us would be two weeks, since they dont do paper checks anymore. Im kinda at a loss.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hadnt thought about the churches. And our landlord is being very helpful, they let us pay only 400 this month and pay the next 350 out. But even then we are still out a ton on the first of everymonth. the 15th is the cut off on our electricity. Cable is a given to be cut off. But thats okay- we have propane to keep us warm.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
MiriamAlissa
Registered Users
seller

Oh, what stress! Praying for you!
MiriamAlissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
tasbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Any chance the new job can start sooner? Can he call them and let them know his availability changed?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I agree that maybe dh can call and find out if he can start sooner as his other job let him go on the spot and he has no income like he planned. Otherwise I would just keep doing what you're doing. Also make payment arraingements with the electricity company. We got into a bind and I had to make payments for a few months to catch up and could have extended it longer if I needed. Almost all utilities will do that to avoid cutting off service to you and perhaps not getting any payments at all. I'm not sure what your other assets include, but if you qualify for WIC maybe you can see if you can get emergency food stamps or cash aide until you're husband gets paid. Good luck and you're in my prayers...
Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They are letting him start one day sooner. However that still puts his first paycheck (31st) with only one day on it, and we are still in a bind for a week longer. We are a paycheck to paycheck family, so the assets are little to none. We have had to sell our 3 wheeler and the extra tires for my van. But other than that we are still struggling. But his spirits are still up and that helps me a little.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
Spikettes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are also paycheck to paycheck family. I left a job in August and then lost my new job mid-November. (I was an independent contractor for a state service provider, so I am still waiting formoney from October and November.... ahh fun times.)
Here are some of the things we have been doing to get by.
1. Talked to our bills and landlord
2. Stopped eating out
3. Cut back on non essential things, cut back on the cable channels we had, got rid of home phone, just use cell phones.
4. If we are going crazy and want to do somethin.. we rent a redbox movie.. $1.07 for one night rental. It's one of our few splurges.
5. I started going to the library again once or twice a month.
6. Check into government agencies; WIC, Food Stamps, etc.
7. Get a listing of local food banks... you can find this on the internet.
8. Lowered our gas heat settings. I keep it set on 68 at night.. we have a big house. We also blocked off the registered in unused rooms.
9. Went through all the toys and kid clothes and took several things to Once Upon a Child. I'm going to do the same thing with my clothing since we have a women's clothing resell shop.
10. Buy generic as much as possible.
11. Use all leftovers... remae them into another similar meal.
12. Check into local agencies that might be able to help with utility bills.
13. Sold or trying to sell my smaller diaper stash... new theory is.. if DS isn't wearing it right now, then I'm going to try to sell it!

During this time I am so thankful that we chose to do cloth diapers and wipes. I truly don't know how we would have been able to buy disposables right now.

Last edited by Spikettes; 01-11-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Spikettes is offline   Reply With Quote