Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

have you heard of sewing a granny square blanket onto a fabric blanket?

Hi,
I recently discovered that the granny square blanket I am crocheting I didn't calculate any drape length, so for the yarn I bought it's basically going to be the size of the top of a twin mattress. Sigh

So while I CAN buy more yarn (if I do it now because its discontinued and not easy to get) I'm not sure I want to both for the cost (turn the $200 blanket into a $350 blanket) and even more for the time! - rather than taking one more year-ish to finish it will likely take 2 years to finish (already been working on it for 2ish years). (BTW DD is 4 and still in a toddler bed so I did plan ahead at least)

I really do want to make this blanket for DD. And I don't want it to look bad when I'm finished - I'd rather spend the money and time then have something I'm not proud at all of. (but I also want to finish because I really want to learn to knit socks next)

My husband had the idea of using fabric for the edging drape. I've been toying with the idea and googling and I have seen examples of people backing a crochet blanket with fabric but not exactly what I am thinking. I'd want to add about 6inches on the sides (so not as ton of drape but more than adding a 2inch satin edging which is the largest edging I've been able to find)

Thinking of making the granny square blanket as I was planning and then attaching it in the middle of a good quality a twin size blanket with the drape I am looking for.

What do you think of this idea? Does it sound like it will look stupid? I tried putting the squares on a blanket to try and visualize it more but its tough.

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 05-16-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: have you heard of sewing a granny square blanket onto a fabric blanket?

What about doing a yarn border that is a looser crochet? It might at least go faster. Something like this? http://ellenbloom.blogspot.com/2009/...again.html?m=1
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
What about doing a yarn border that is a looser crochet? It might at least go faster. Something like this? http://ellenbloom.blogspot.com/2009/...again.html?m=1
interesting idea! thanks!!!!

I've been thinking about splitting the different and maybe just adding 2 more long rows of squares for just 38 more squares (vrs 111 more that I was considering). Maybe that plus a fancier boarder would give it enough drape
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 05-17-2018 at 03:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

I was going to suggest alternating with material quilt blocks, but I like both of your ideas much better! Thatíll be a special keepsake for her, thatís so sweet that youíre making it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsaremyheart View Post
I was going to suggest alternating with material quilt blocks, but I like both of your ideas much better! Thatíll be a special keepsake for her, thatís so sweet that youíre making it.
Thanks!
Old 05-19-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

I decided to get enough yarn for 2 more long rows and do a more elaborate edging. I choose this edging. I did a sample to see how much I needed on 2 squares of the blanket. Thanks for your help!!
Old 05-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

have you heard of sewing a granny square blanket onto a fabric blanket?

Thatís going to be really beautiful, Pixi! When I read granny squares, I imagined the typical granny squares, which is pretty too. This is stunning though! The edging is going to make it even more beautiful. I think it will give it a finished look, and goes really well with the flowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mykidsaremyheart; 05-19-2018 at 10:57 PM.
mykidsaremyheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Thank you!!
Old 06-03-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
Cdowell
Registered Users

That blanket is really nice! I am a beginner at crochet and I love how creative and flexible you can be with it. Thanks for sharing the picture!
Cdowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:19 AM   #10
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I decided to get enough yarn for 2 more long rows and do a more elaborate edging. I choose this edging. I did a sample to see how much I needed on 2 squares of the blanket. Thanks for your help!!
I don't know how I missed this earlier, but that looks great!
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote