Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
Moonbeam123
Registered Users

Onesies / bodysuits

What's your thoughts on toddlers in bodysuits with snaps ?

I think if the kiddo is still in a diaper they keep everything in place and look fine but I've heard some moms say they are only for young babies.

What do you think ?

Advertisement

Moonbeam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Onesies / bodysuits

I don't think they are only for young babies but once we start working on using the potty we don't use them anymore.

That said, I am babysitting a 2 year old today who has on a onesie. He is potty trained and it's annoying for bathroom breaks. I don't think he's too old/big/whatever for it, I just prefer not to mess with crotch snaps when I take him potty.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
Moonbeam123
Registered Users

I cant see why his mum would put a onesie on if he is trained.

To be honest I think a onsie if fine so long as they are in a diaper
Moonbeam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam123 View Post
I cant see why his mum would put a onesie on if he is trained.

To be honest I think a onsie if fine so long as they are in a diaper
He doesn't have a mom in the picture but I wondered why his dad did. Maybe because they are cheap shirts? Idk but I dropped the back end of it in the toilet when he was going pee. Thankfully he is the same size as a couple of my kids so it wasn't a big deal.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
He doesn't have a mom in the picture but I wondered why his dad did. Maybe because they are cheap shirts? Idk but I dropped the back end of it in the toilet when he was going pee. Thankfully he is the same size as a couple of my kids so it wasn't a big deal.
you might want to mention it to him. Usually onsies survive fine if you cut the snap flaps off if he has a bunch, so he can still use them.

This is sorta an amusing story, the one time I actually took the time and got my son a whole new quality set of clothes was 18m size which was about 1y old for DS. Soon after that I felt like he was too old for onsies (fyi DS started walking about 10m). A whole set of quality brand, brought new by me tops basically was wasted. I used them for backups and such but not regularly. Since then all my kids clothes that don't come from family are generally from ebay/craigslist/consignment. I learned my lesson. DD ended up using wool from about 6m so we stopped onsies early because of that. I think around 1y or when they start walking if later is a good time to stop.

When dropping DD off at daycare today I noticed an almost 2 year old in a onsie and jeans. He looked okay but I did notice and thought "eh, also though is was long sleeve it didn't look very warm either.

Clearly just an opinion though.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. Everything must go! Check Lots: CV, TR, WL

Last edited by Pixi6s; 03-21-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
Kelley76
Registered Users
seller

I think some people like the tucked in look, so a onsie works for that. I personally don't use them that long, but I also don't tuck shirts in.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #7
kristinajura
Registered Users
seller

I switched from onesies to regular shirts when my sons started standing a lot / walking. Don't remember exactly why, but I did have some sort of logical reason at the time, & I did the same thing with both so idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kristinajura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
akclimbergirl
Registered Users

Who cares?

They make "onesies" for adults, they're just called bodysuits instead.
akclimbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akclimbergirl View Post
Who cares?

They make "onesies" for adults, they're just called bodysuits instead.
Haha, good pt
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. Everything must go! Check Lots: CV, TR, WL
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #10
zorabete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Onesies are great on older kiddos who are still carried a fair bit--if you are carrying a small child, almost invariably their shirt/coat will ride up over their round little bellies (likewise, pant legs ride up around knees a lot). A onesie is great for preventing that and keeping bellies covered and warm. When my first was old enough to start trying the potty, I just pulled the crotch pieces up and snapped them over his shoulder to keep them out of the way as I removed his diaper and got him situated. His onesies were rarely snapped in the crotch, anyway, because we used disana soakers over prefolds and nothing would snap over that, but his head was so big that the lap shoulders were a huge plus for ease of dressing and not many shirts over 12 months were available with lap shoulders at the time.
zorabete is offline   Reply With Quote