Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #11
againsttheoddsmom
Registered Users

Re: Implanon?

I've had it in for a little over a yr. The first yr was almost nonstop bleeding, but no cramping or other side effects. On yr two now ive stopped bleeding constantly but I still have periods, sometimes I ovulate and sometimes I dont, but they are pretty regular (more regular than off the pill anyways lol). Thus far no babies tho *knocks on wood*

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
Tiny Trousers
Registered Users
Formerly: Knits4Noah
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was on implanon for almost 2 years. I was on the mini pill before that and had good results. They are the same hormones, so I got the implanon. The first 20 months or so were great - normal/minimal bleeding every month around the same time.

Then weird stuff started happening and all the early pregnancy signs I had with my son started showing up. Every month for 3 months I thought I was pregnant, until I would start. It was emotionally taxing to say the least plus I had lower back pain and nausea, so I took the bar out. Now I practice fertility awareness method and have no artificial hormones in my body, thank God!

My good friend was on implanon and bled almost non stop for about 6 months. She got off because it was hurting her marriage, and now does the rhythm method. She hasn't gotten pregnant yet

Last edited by Tiny Trousers; 08-02-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Tiny Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #13
mariannewynn
Registered Users
seller

So here is my story:

We decided to use implanon because I can't take a pill everyday to save my life, let alone prevent a pregnancy, and DH doesn't like condoms. We needed a reliable method because I was still in nursing school and we were living off one income so a baby would definitely not have been a good idea at the time. I was using the nuvaring, but at $40/month it adds up. The insurance covered everything for implanon, so we were looking forward to spending nothing on birth control for the next three years.
The insertion procedure was no big deal. The lidocaine shots were the worst part. It only left a tiny scar, that still continues to fade. After a while, you really don't notice that it is there.
The entire time I had implanon my bleeding was very irregular. I bled for about two weeks straight the first month, a week of no bleeding, then another week of bleeding. After 4 or 5 months, I started bleeding only a couple days once or twice a month, but there was absolutely no pattern. (I also gained 20lbs since I got implanon, but lots of things have happened in my life, so I can't say for sure that it was the hormones, but I imagine they played a part.)
The reason we finally decided to have it removed was the effect it was having on our sex life. Implanon really dried up my body. I had zero vaginal moisture. I talked to my gyno and she gave me a prescription for some estrogen cream ($100 for one tube!!). It was super messy, and I didn't notice any improvement. We had gone from having sex about every day to two or three times a month, and I hardly ever got off. I never wanted to have sex. For the longest time, I blamed the issues on my stress level and my emotional state. I kept telling myself that it was all in my head, and it would be better if I just made it better. Then I thought, maybe the newness of the marriage is wearing off, and this is how it is now. We suffered through this for a year and a half. I was afraid to get implanon removed, because if it wasn't the hormones, then I just wasted the next year and a half of free birth control. When we decided that we were in a better place in our life and that it wouldn't be the end of the world if I did accidentally get pregnant, we made the decision to have it removed.
I got implanon removed about 3 months ago, and the difference is night and day. I didn't realize how much the hormones had messed with my body. Sex actually feels good again. I am the one initiating now instead of DH begging.
Implanon is a very cost efficient and effective method for preventing pregnancy, but I'm not sure that I would recommend it. My advice is that if you have implanon, or any hormones for that matter, just pay attention to your body. If things aren't going so great, it may not be your fault.
mariannewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #14
Tiny Trousers
Registered Users
Formerly: Knits4Noah
seller
seller

My Mood:

One more thing. The implantation scar faded, but I have had it out for 6 months now and the taking out scar is very noticeable. Just fyi.

Tiny Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
mrsmusic
Registered Users
seller

I used it. No problems. I have a couple tiny scars. it got encapsulated and they kinda had to work to get it out, but they numb you up good. It's about the size of a match stick. you don't feel it unless you push on it. I didn't have any break-through bleeding or anything... but I also did well on the depo
Bri helpmeet to Chaise (9/10/11). Attachment parenting, no circ, no longer vaccinating, pro-life, Christian, homesteading preemie mama to K (27wks on 2/17/07) AIH Type 1 with PSC overlap and M (33wks on 3/4/09) Gluten Freeand A (37 weeks! on 2/3/11) T (37 weeks at HOME in my bed on 7/11/16)
Follow my Facebook Page: Music Family Farmstead and IG: @MusicFamilyFarmstead
mrsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
placidgreen
Registered Users

I had it in for 2years and it was great. I did not have any spotting or anything. The beginning of the third year, I got my period and it did not stop. I had to get it removed. Thy told my it was common in the last year of the Implanon.
placidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote