Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My "stop testing" PSA...

Ok. I'm not sure what was possesing me to keep testing (well, my chemical last cycle had a lot to do with it). My m/s should be indicator enough that I am, indeed, preggo. But on Thursday I tested and my test was lighter than all my other tests. So I kind of freaked. I was going out of town but said I would test again on Monday (today). But then I came across the Hook Effect from the December DDC:

Quote:
3) A very rare cause of false negative results occurs when very, very, high concentrations of hCG are present. This is called the high-dose hook effect. The hCG assays works by forming a so-called "sandwich" with two different antibodies as the "bread" and the hCG molecule as the "meat." The hook effect occurs when the hCG concentration is so high that it saturates both antibodies and there are so many molecules that the antibodies don't actually form a sandwich. This is rare because women don't normally produce enough hCG to saturate both antibodies. The hook effect should be of concern in a hospital setting, but most women should not be concerned about a hook effect with their urine. A hook effect can be confirmed if testing shows a positive result after sample dilution.

4) Finally, the other reason for false negatives was only recently described and is referred to as the "variant hook effect." This is much more common than the hook effect. As pregnancy progresses, there are actually different variant forms of hCG that begin to appear in the urine. After about 5 weeks of pregnancy (i.e. 3 weeks after the expected period) concentrations of hCG beta core fragment are higher than all other forms of hCG. This is perfectly normal. Unfortunately, the concentration of hCG beta core fragment can saturate one of the antibodies used in the assay in certain pregnancy kits, and the other antibody doesn't recognize the beta core fragment. As a result, no sandwich forms and the test is read as a negative. The farther in pregnancy a woman is, the more likely that this false negative will occur. Similar to the hook effect, the variant hook effect can be confirmed if testing shows a positive result after diluting the sample.

http://www.pregnancylab.net/2011/05/...ncy-tests.html
So, here are a few of my tests. You can see my 20 & 23 DPO tests are still dark. Then, uh oh, 27 DPO is lighter (this was Thursday's test). Then, OMG!!, today's test is super light!! Oh no!

BUT, then I decided to try out this Hook Effect and majorly watered down my urine. And this is what I got. While it's not as dark as the other tests, it's definitly darker...(top one is undiluted...bottom is after dilution)

So, let that be a lesson: YOUR TESTS WILL START TO GET LIGHTER! I'm just confused as this isn't supposed to start happening until around 8 weeks. Oh well.

Advertisement

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Please take my diapering cost survey!
BldrArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
jelybean333
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My "stop testing" PSA...

That is Amazing thanks for sharing!

Kristina, wife to J, mom to G, and OYYMN available! Ask about yarn for woolie trades!http://www.flickr.com/photos/35826128@N02/
jelybean333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
sk8nut
Registered Users
seller

Maybe you are having twins Isn't the hcg usually higher then?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nut View Post
Maybe you are having twins Isn't the hcg usually higher then?
NOT FUNNY yeah. My beta at 10 DPO was 55 and 157 at 12 DPO...I'm really not trying to read into it since I've heard progesterone is more an indicator of twins and mine was 20...I think 30-40 range is twins?? LOL!

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Old 06-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Didn't I tell you to stop testing like last week?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I was preggo with DD my test at 8wks was light and I freaked out. Thank Goodness I had a ultrasound that day and everything was fine!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby
Didn't I tell you to stop testing like last week?

Sent via iPhone using DS Forum (yes, I'm that addicted)

Red Dog | Studio

Etsy | Free US Shipping