Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Smelly armpits

sorry to hijack.
Is there something that could be used in place of tea tree oil? I don't care for how it smells.

Advertisement

LA RN and Mom to J '00, S '03, P '05 (CLW at 37 months), G '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & M '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme View Post
sorry to hijack.
Is there something that could be used in place of tea tree oil? I don't care for how it smells.
That's why I mixed TTO with Thieves' oil for my first attempt at a concoction. If making the solid deodorant suggested, I wonder if a teaspoon of GSE would do the trick for you, perhaps with two drops of Thieves or lavender for a slight fragrance (Thieves is antibacterial as a bonus)?? I don't know... I'm just guessing.

Btw, the oils do burn sensitive underarm skin. I made mine too strong at first and had to double the powders to dilute it.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
That's why I mixed TTO with Thieves' oil for my first attempt at a concoction. If making the solid deodorant suggested, I wonder if a teaspoon of GSE would do the trick for you, perhaps with two drops of Thieves or lavender for a slight fragrance (Thieves is antibacterial as a bonus)?? I don't know... I'm just guessing.

Btw, the oils do burn sensitive underarm skin. I made mine too strong at first and had to double the powders to dilute it.
What does theives' oil smell like? I'm not familiar with it.
LA RN and Mom to J '00, S '03, P '05 (CLW at 37 months), G '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & M '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thieves combines cinnamon, lemon, rosemary, cloves, and eucalyptus. I bought mine on amazon. It is named thieves because of a legend that some thieves used this mixture to protect their health while stealing from the dying rich during the bubonic plague. Unlike some essential oils, it really must have a carrier oil for any skin application, so it is one of the stronger ones. Thus you must count every drop if trying it in deodorant!!!

I bought mine off of Amazon instead of using the expensive Young Living brand. I smell the spices more than anything... which is nice this time of year!

Last edited by debcita429; 12-21-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Occasionally I use coconut oil on my pits. I have premade coconut oil with a few drops of Lavendar thatI use on my face and hands regularly and just that little whiff of scent in my pits once in a while works. Not really a deodorant per se, just a little scent.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
pioneergirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i agree with other posters. poly is not a natural fiber and its just better for more than one reason to just get rid of it. i also like the recipe maria posted for coconut oil deoderant. i love any excuse to use more coconut oil lol! personally i use straight baking soda right now, but if you are not having issues stinking with natural fibers, i wouldnt worry about it anyways!
pioneergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
After posting this I went to undress my baby and found red chafe-like areas under her pits too. Just so happens that the sleeper she was wearing was a poly one. So I think I'm just going to ditch poly for all of us. Might just be a coincidence. I know it just doesn't breathe like cottons.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Elizabeth, there are some polyesters that chafe me as well.

Deodorant update: My powdered experiment still has too much skin bite. I'm thinking that the solid version is the way to go if using any essential oil b/c coconut oil can act as a carrier. I made a tiny batch of solid deodorant today that I can't wait to use tomorrow. (I used 2T coconut oil, 2 t corn starch, 1 t baking soda, 3 drops thieves, and 12 drops GSE.) Unfortunately, I don't have any parchment paper or anything like that, so in order to get the solid out of its little container, I had to run enough hot water over the back of the container that a lot of the "deodorant" thawed before it would slide out. Impracticalities aside, thanks to those here who are bringing out my "inner chemist" and perhaps starting me on a healthier course.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #19
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpie View Post
Yes, polyester clothing will hold odor and and can be difficult to get fully clean. That's why a lot of athletic clothing is antimicrobial. I've thrown out some workout clothing, not because it was worn out, but rather because it stunk. It wasn't worth the extra work to keep them stink free.

I don't wear deodorant either, not even in summer time. As far as I know, I don't stink. Trust me, my co-workers would let me know. The only time my pits stink is when they need a good exfoliation once a month or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
After posting this I went to undress my baby and found red chafe-like areas under her pits too. Just so happens that the sleeper she was wearing was a poly one. So I think I'm just going to ditch poly for all of us. Might just be a coincidence. I know it just doesn't breathe like cottons.
Yes yes yes... Polyester always makes me (and my kids) uncomfortable and stinky!!! In fact I notice I have more 'smell' anytime I wear an unnatural fabric. Kind creeps me out.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
Janet4
Registered Users
seller

I have also had MUCH better success using the coconut oil, baking soda, corn starch deodorant - as compared w/store bought "natural" deodorants. You can use any essential oils you'd like for a scent. It really doesn't take much. Also, application is easier if you just use your fingers to get it out & rub it on. Every other "natural" deodorant left me stinky. This also leaves me w/super soft armpits!
Janet4 is offline   Reply With Quote