Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Please help me have a healthier home.

I am in the process of trying to to our diets off all processed foods and our cleaning and bath products of all toxic chemicals. My challenge really comes with the fact that money is beyond tight. So far for bath products our whole family has started using only castile soap for hair and body. I use vinegar to rinse my hair. I am doing most of my other cleaning with vinegar and baking soda. Really doing everything as cheap as possible. I would love any ideas or tips from others who have a chemical free home on little money. I can't afford products like California baby.

Thank you.

Advertisement

jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
beansie19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please help me have a healthier home.

I think what you're doing is great! Castile soap, vinegar, bs are the staples in our house. Borax is great for cleaning the bathroom too. Dump a small mound in the tub and cut a lemon in half. Use the lemon as a "sponge" and the tub will sparkle. We also use soap nuts for our clothes. A pound of soap nuts lasts forever and is very economical. I also love the concentrate by NaturOli.
Mary, SAHM and DW to DH, Jay Proud parents of Emma Bean! :: 08/19/11. We had a med-free VB and are CDing , BFing, NVaxing, BFMing (baby food making~made that one up), part time ECing, sometimes BWing and ex-CSing ! Pleased to meet you!
beansie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
beansie19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, if your hair needs more moisture, mix honey and aloe (the alcohol free kind) with an inexpensive, silicone-free conditioner. Try VO5. Let sit as long as you can and rinse.
Mary, SAHM and DW to DH, Jay Proud parents of Emma Bean! :: 08/19/11. We had a med-free VB and are CDing , BFing, NVaxing, BFMing (baby food making~made that one up), part time ECing, sometimes BWing and ex-CSing ! Pleased to meet you!
beansie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
PajammaGramma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You have to start out small when on a tight budget. Vinegar, baking soda, Borax, peroxide and rubbing alcohol are cheap and great for disinfecting everything. I make my own cleaning wipes with old cut up t-shirts, regular Dawn dish soap, vinegar and rubbing alcohol. Awesome! I love Dr. Bronner's but it is a little expensive. I usually wait to buy it when my son is going to GNC for something. He uses his discount card and buys me a couple bottles. I make my own laundry powder, saves me a ton of $$ and is better than store bought stuff.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajammaGramma
You have to start out small when on a tight budget. Vinegar, baking soda, Borax, peroxide and rubbing alcohol are cheap and great for disinfecting everything. I make my own cleaning wipes with old cut up t-shirts, regular Dawn dish soap, vinegar and rubbing alcohol. Awesome! I love Dr. Bronner's but it is a little expensive. I usually wait to buy it when my son is going to GNC for something. He uses his discount card and buys me a couple bottles. I make my own laundry powder, saves me a ton of $$ and is better than store bought stuff.
Thanks. Can you please share your laundry detergent recipe?
Old 06-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

If you are already using castile soap, baking soda, and vinegar, that is really all you need to wash yourselves and your entire home. Way to go!
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

So I have tried for the last three washes to not use bleach on my sons diapers. It's my last major toxin to get rid of. His diapers smell horrible now and have home red bum. We have very hard water. Do I just need to admit that bleaching his diapers are the lesser of two evils or has anyone figured out how to keep them clean without harsh chemicals and hard water. I use all flats, you wouldn't think it would be that hard but I have tried many many combinations if wash routines and so far bleach is all the does it.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
PajammaGramma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sure. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a good, tight lid.

1 - 4 lb. box Borax
1 - 3 lb. 7 oz. box Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 - 4 lb. box Arm and Hammer Baking Soda
1 - 3 lb. container Oxy Clean Versatile
1 - 55 oz. container Purex Complete Crystals Laundry Enhancer (optional)
5 Bars Zote Soap or Fels Naptha

With my husband and I both working on it, takes us about 1/2 hour to make enough for several months. And it costs about 7 cents per load. Shred/grate the bars of soap very fine. I mix everything in the bucket in layers, makes it easier to stir around if you do a layer of everything, mix...add another layer, mix, etc. I use the Purex Crystals for the smell. There are a couple of different fragrances so I just use whatever I fancy at the time. Be careful when you pour the Borax and Soda in the bucket. The dust puffs up some and can be overwhelming. I store some in an empty OxyClean container for on the washer and store the rest in the 5 gallon bucket with the lid snapped on tightly. You only use about 2 tablespoons per load. It does a good job on everything, except the tough stains, spaghetti, ketchup, etc. Plus, there are no additives or chemicals to put back into the environment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie714 View Post
Thanks. Can you please share your laundry detergent recipe?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

More help please. More ?s.

Now that we have been doing this awhile my kids and I are all getting very itchy skin even though we use coconut oil for moisturizer after every bath. The coconut oil is not the problem we have been using that for years. The only new thing is the castle soap. I don't think it's going to work for us. What other options do you think are good with no toxins but more moisture?

Thank you.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #10
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

I've started to get dry skin and I'm not sure if it's the weather, my perimenopausal hormones, lol, or just getting older. Anyway, I like using olive oil on really dry areas. It seems to work a lot better for me for some reason than coconut oil. I only use coconut oil as a hair conditioner or hand moisturizer now (but still use it plenty in cooking). I even try to take a moisturizing bath with a cap or two of olive oil every week or two.

That doesn't help much in whether or not to use castile oil but I thought it might help you with the dry skin anyway!
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote