Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
Casie629
Registered Users
seller

Smile Breastfeeding and pregnancy

I just found out that I am expecting. One of my first thoughts was "oh no, what if I can't breastfeed Blake for as long as I planned??" He is only 7 months old.

So, I need advice on breastfeeding whlie pregnant. I didn't have any problems with PTL last time... I never really had contractions at all til right around my due date (he was 8 days late). I have noticed a slight dip in my supply which is part of what urged me to test... but I have also been slacking on my water intake this week.

Advertisement

Expecting a rainbow in August 2016
Casie629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Breastfeeding and pregnancy

My ob told me that I needed to eat an extra 500 calories a day, and drink as much water as I could. Ds was 9 months old when I got pg with dd1. I ended up weaning him at 13 months, but didn't have any problems while nursing him, and I have high risk pgs (but nothing to do with ptl). I was suprised she was so supportive, but she told me she nursed her first until she was 7 months pg with her second. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our DS was 9 mos. old when I found out I was preggo w/ this little bun. My OB just wants to make sure that I am gaining weight and that the "bean" is growing and thriving. I am not high-risk or anything.

Just like the PP stated, you will have to eat extra calories (you'll feel it!), drink a TON of water, and need a bit more rest.

OH.... and it can be pretty painful. YOWCH! I just grit my teeth when DS latches on and after a bit, it's okay. My milk has changed now. For a while, my supply went down so low that he was only swallowing once or twice on each side, 4 times at the most. Well, last week (24th wk), my milk began to change to cholostrum/milk. So, it's a bit more, and he is still nursing.

I borrowed a book from my friend titled Adventures in Tandem Nursing. It has some really good information on nursing while pregnant and nursing 2.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Casie629
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies! I will have to look into that book. He still seems to be nursing fine. Have you had to supplement since you had a dip in supply? I got the normal amount when I pumped today, so maybe upping my water intake helped. I am going to have to work on getting those extra calories! Any suggestions for healthy snacks?
Old 11-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
MammaNilsson
Registered Users
seller

Some women don't actually have a dip in milk supply (my mother didn't), so you may not necessarily have to worry about that. Nipple pain varies among women too. Most women who do experience nipple pain only have it during the first trimester. to the pp who obviously isn't one of them. I had ever increasing nipple pain until what must have been the exact last day of the first trimester (both milk supply and nipple pain are hormonally induced that's why it varies a great deal between women just like PMS).

I second the pp's suggestion of that book. I found it VERY helpful.

Healthy snacks...I often ate boiled eggs because they want you to eat protein and w/ a toddler running around I could get a bunch ready and use them all week. Of course, that didn't do so well after a while (stomach didn't agree w/ it). Baby carrots worked well and watermelon was a real winner when it was in season. I know those aren't high calorie, but my midwife was more concerned about 80-90g extra protein daily than a certain number of calories so I didn't pay attention so much to calories as I did protein intake and more or less constantly nibbling on something (so I chose things that weren't too filling since I kept on eating more) and the liquid intake (watermelon helped w/ both, of course).

Congratulations!
MammaNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
MammaNilsson
Registered Users
seller

Oh, I forgot to mention. I didn't choose to wean my nursling during pregnancy so I'm still nursing both kids (had the second one last spring). In the aforementioned book they stated that although 67% of nurslings wean during pregnancy, only 25% of those weanings are initiated by the nursling and those are typically among older toddlers so if you don't choose to, chances are very high that your toddler will be nursing when your baby is born. My LO's are 17 mos. apart so my nursling was only 8 mos. old when I found out I was having another one. She hadn't even tasted solids yet when I got pregnant!
MammaNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
Casie629
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! That is so encouraging. I would really love to tandem nurse.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
upcycle mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was just coming here to post the same thing! DD is 7 months and everything. I just posted about wanting to keep nursing on another parenting site and got totally flamed by someone about how dangerous this is for mt baby blah blah blah! I really enjoyed reading these responses
upcycle mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
KaelsLiz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd was 13 months when we found out we were preggo with #3. We continued nursing until 17-18 months when she self weaned. I did have nipple pain but it wasn't horrible. My ob was very supportive. I haven't had high risk pregnancies but 3 c/s and no one was worried. Congrats and remember to take care of yourself. Carrot sticks with ranch was a favorite snack. Preggo pops were awesome for m/s too.
KaelsLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
fergiesgirl86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my doc is trying to force me to wean dd. she is 15mos old, i'm 7wks with bean #2. i don't really wanna wean her (she loves it SOOO much), before i became preg she was nursing like 8times a day (during night too) and i was getting tired of it. since then i've gotten her down to 2ish times a day (mostly for snuggles since i have like NO milk). there are times that it makes my toes curl when she latches, other times it's normal. i'm not high risk or anything, so should i quit?