Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding and pregnancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergiesgirl86 View Post
my doc is trying to force me to wean dd. she is 15mos old, i'm 7wks with bean #2. i don't really wanna wean her (she loves it SOOO much), before i became preg she was nursing like 8times a day (during night too) and i was getting tired of it. since then i've gotten her down to 2ish times a day (mostly for snuggles since i have like NO milk). there are times that it makes my toes curl when she latches, other times it's normal. i'm not high risk or anything, so should i quit?

If you aren't facing a high-risk pregnancy, I wouldn't wean your DD. Besides, can your Dr. really force you to wean? What you do at home is your business. Just be sure to:

- take your prenatals
- drink a TON of water
- get in extra calories
- eat healthfully

Also, educate yourself on the "risks" and benefits of bfing while pregnant. Get some ammo ready for those who don't understand it or are "against" it. I've run into several people who have told me to "Just wean him already!! He doesn't need it anymore!!!". Ugh... I've been able to defend my decision. It also helps to have a good support system around as well. My DH and parents are WONDERFUL at supporting me and our decision to BF DS (he's 16 mos., and I am over 28 wks. preggo).

Advertisement

Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My doctor told me it was ok to nurse my ODD while pregnant with ds. However, she started losing weight and my milk disappeared by the time I was 3 months pregnant. She also got the flu during all that and lost even more weight. I would have loved to nurse her longer, though, and even tandem nurse. After ds was born I tried to nurse her again, but she looked at me funny.

Good luck! I hope you're able to nurse the whole time!
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #13
msmommywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes water is so important to breastfeeding. I drink a cup for the baby before each meal or I will be left on E without. I was pregnant and nursing also and I made sure to drink the water, take the prenatal vitamin and I ate lots of foods to encourage lactation and everyone was fine (me baby and dd). Im sure you'll be okay too
msmommywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:19 AM   #14
AundAPenner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm prego with #2 and still nursing DS at 30 months! Yup, that's 2 1/2.

I am high-risk (not due to PTL though).

For me, the decision is personal. Our nursing relationship has been the pivotal point of my survival as a mom. I've survived preeclampsia and then post-partum depression. Without nursing (which I hated BTW), I seriously question my where I'd be today. The decision came down to quitting my management job (I made more than DH) or taking care of my son. He won.

I didn't ask any of my docs about nursing while prego (and since I found out I was prego, I've seen a doc every 2 weeks ... I'm now 24 weeks). Rather, when the subject came up, I told them I was still nursing my 2.5 year old. No one commented or mentioned anything (which honestly surprised me!).

My milk has decreased. I think it's changing back to colostrum now. Sometimes it still hurts like you-know-what, but we go back to the basics - we work on his latch and that helps BIG time!

My motto in most of being a momma is this - trust yourself.

If you are enjoying your relationship, if it's something you want to continue, and it's something your child is also enjoying and wants to continue, you can find a way to make it work.

And as for the naysayers - I don't argue with them. I just say yep, uh-hunh. I know what you mean. And then continue on my merry way. (And honest, I'm a fighter so that's big for me!) The way I see it is they are not the ones having to explain to my son WHY he can't have mama's milk in the middle of the night when he has a nightmare or during the day when he wants to snuggle. I cherish our time together and that to me, is more valuable than other's opinions.
AundAPenner is offline   Reply With Quote