Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #11
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else have a 10 month old who nurses twice through the night?

My DS nursed 2x a night until he was one and we started to give him milk. I dont advise giving milk but maybe trying to thicken your milk supply. I didnt know that fenugreek thinned your milk and I think its milk thistle that thickens it. So you might try that and some Omega 3's.

Advertisement

thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 28 month old still nurses 1-2x a night.

Sorry, but your pedi is totally clued out....there are many babies who still nurse at night at 10 mos, and probably there would be many more if there wasn't that societal pressure to nightwean so early. You're probably right, that your LO is making up for missed nursings during the day when she's distracted by walking/exploring. My DD did that. If you're happy, then you're doing great, don't fix what ain't broke!

Last edited by cheygirl; 11-25-2008 at 10:11 AM.
cheygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
fieroangel
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS is 9 months and nurses at 9pm 3am and 5am and he is also on the small side (16lbs) and my ped said to keep doing that so he gets the extra calories. He nurses much longer at night then during the day cause there's just to much other stuff he'd rather be doing LOL I say keep doing whats your doing.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #14
mlandorf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD (now five) was still nursing 5-6 times a night at 9-10 months. She was also petite. Where they are on the curve really doesn't matter, what matters is if they cross more than 2 lines (for example a LO who was 50% all along and then drops to<10% - they crossed the 25% and 10% lines). If you LO was always <25% and are 8% now...it is all ok.
DS1 was nursing 1-2 times a night (at least) until about 34 months.
DS2 is only 4 months and still nursing a lot at night
As long as you are both happy wiht it, it is fine. Also, night time awakenings are common at 9 months because they are learning and mastering object permenance (?sp). Before 7-8 months if you hide a ball under a blanket, it is gone - GONE. Object permenance allows them to know the ball still exists and to look for it. SO when you 10 month old LO wakes and you aren't in the room, she calls for you, just to "prove" you are still there. It is also why they cry when you leave the room or follow you into the bathroom at this age.
HTHs.
mlandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #15
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
At 10 months, DS2 was nursing a lot more than twice a night!
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
lisad1
Registered Users

My dd still nurses 2-3 times a night at 14 months old. They are so busy learning stuff during the day at this age that I really think they need the night nursings to catch up. Your milk supply is the most plentiful during the night and early morning and she is probably taking advantage of those extra calories!

You don't need to take anything or worry about the quality of your milk - your body and your baby both know what they are doing! lol
lisad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #17
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd did twice a night until a year or so, then it was once a night until weaning at 17 months. I really didnt mind since she was all business and then back to sleep. I ignored the ped too.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #18
mom22girls
Registered Users
Formerly: jenmarie
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandorf View Post
My DD (now five) was still nursing 5-6 times a night at 9-10 months. She was also petite. Where they are on the curve really doesn't matter, what matters is if they cross more than 2 lines (for example a LO who was 50% all along and then drops to<10% - they crossed the 25% and 10% lines). If you LO was always <25% and are 8% now...it is all ok.
Both of my girls started out in the 80-90th at birth and are now in the 15th and 8th. Their pedi has never really shown any concern about where they are on the charts. Her concern wasn't with her size/weight, but rather that she was up twice a night in general. She made a comment about the baby sleeping through the night, so I think it was more about sleep than anything else. My first didn't sleep through the night until she was about 18 months, so it doesn't seem to be a big deal to me.

Thanks for all of the encouraging words! At least I know I'm not the only one!
mom22girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #19
22momma22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lol, yeah, our pedi said the same when I told her dalila was nursing 3 times a night at 6 months. My pedi's exact words were "she is playing you mama, she should be sleeping at least 8 hours straight at night". Like a 6 month old has the capability of "playing". Anyway, here we are at 8 months and she is still nursing two times a night. She's also on the petite side as well, just hitting 16 lbs at 8 months.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #20
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm an all night diner. We co-sleep after she wakes up for the first time and then she nurses throughout the night, and most of the time I don't even notice. I just wake up to her latched on, lol!
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote