Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #11
Jenney17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: neep help quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofcloth View Post
How old is your baby? I'm assuming very small?

Remember that the best indicator of getting enough to eat is her number of wet diapers. Young babies need to nurse 8-12 (or more) times per 24 hours, and typically won't go more than one 2 hour stretch/day without nursing (timing from the beginning of one feeding to the beginning of the next). Be sure you keep her on one side til she comes off herself, then start her on the second... and then on the next feeding, start on the side you didn't start on before.

You're looking for 5-6 really wet diapers/day for a young baby (likely more for cloth). Urine should be clear, not yellow. If she's alert & diapers are good, odds are that you're making enough milk!

Is the crying just at the end of a feeding? How long does she typically nurse for and how often? Does her position seem to matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjsmom View Post
sorry you're having a rough time...I would just try some breast compressions when you're nearing the finish of each breast..this may also stimulate more let down, if you think its a not enough milk issue.
Another great suggestion.

I went through the same thing with one of my twins. Just keep the breast available. I went through a patch there where I barely wore a shirt. For my LO swaddling helped a lot. He just loved being snuggled up and having marathon nursing sessions.

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
bodiejake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenney17 View Post
I went through the same thing with one of my twins. Just keep the breast available. I went through a patch there where I barely wore a shirt. For my LO swaddling helped a lot. He just loved being snuggled up and having marathon nursing sessions.
If that is the case, I am ready. I will happily pop her on there and sleep sitting up just to make sure that she is getting all that she needs.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #13
mrjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

aaaahhhh I miss the marathon sessions, my 18mth old doesn't have time to nurse for that long anymore...too busy...hope all goes well for you mama
mrjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
taaudy5
Registered Users

My lc says that they have a growth spurt at 3, 6, 9, and 12 weeks. That;s what I went through at 6 weeks too. It gets better after a couple of days.
taaudy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #15
lotsofcloth
Registered Users
seller

6 weeks is a very normal time for a growth spurt. Expected growth spurt times are three weeks, six weeks, and three months. DO NOT continue with the formula... baby will nurse almost constantly for a few days to build your supply, and if you're supplementing, she can't build it up. After a few days it will slow down.

You don't need to actually see the urine -- if diapers look normal, you're fine. If you can see yellow in the diaper, then you need to worry about dehydration. But given the amount she's nursing (and you sound like you're doing a great job with that), I don't think you have anything to worry about.

It sounds like a very typical growth spurt. Keep her close (sling??) and keep nursing, and let everything else go for a few days.

Oh, and last thing --you don't need to drink extra to keep up your supply. Drink to thirst, no need to do more than that.

Hang in there mama, it should pass soon.
lotsofcloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #16
mama2logan&evan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would also guess growth spurt. My lo is 6 weeks and doing the same thing. Don't do anymore formula and let her nurse as often and as long as she wants. That will build your supply up to suit her needs.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #17
mrjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For those screamin her head off fussy times what about a sling...I used to nurse my dd all the time in the sling, when she was fussy, or to chase ds (2 yr old) around. Its really easy and there are lots of videos online that show how to get positioned. I used to get comments all the time at the park...Are we ever going to see her??? She's always in there, sleeping, nursing or just HIDING LOL Good luck hope it goes well
mrjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:16 AM   #18
bodiejake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjsmom View Post
For those screamin her head off fussy times what about a sling...I used to nurse my dd all the time in the sling, when she was fussy, or to chase ds (2 yr old) around. Its really easy and there are lots of videos online that show how to get positioned. I used to get comments all the time at the park...Are we ever going to see her??? She's always in there, sleeping, nursing or just HIDING LOL Good luck hope it goes well
I have a sling, but I don't think it fits us. When I put her in there she looks all cramped up and there is no way she can nurse well. She is way to smashed. I need to find a new sling. What kind do you recommend?
Old 11-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #19
SazBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try a Hot Sling! We love ours, snuggles well, can still nurse, very comfortable. www.hotslings.com
Old 11-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #20
Lynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely sounds like a growth spurt, and the best thing you can do is keep her at the breast as much as she wants. It's tough, but it will pass and all that nursing will have done its job to increase your supply.

I like ring slings for nursing, so you can loosen it to get the baby into position and then tighten it back up around her. A Moby wrap would be good too, but maybe more complicated than you want to deal with right now.

My knitting patterns|Licensed knitters
Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote