Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
literacylaunchpad
Registered Users
Formerly: acw1

Should I Pump?

My DS is almost 5 months, and we have been experimenting with solids. My ped. recommended it as "speech therapy" for babies, explaining that there's not much nutritional benefit at this point for a breastfed baby.

Anyhow, he is taking to the baby food and cereal (if it is mixed with baby food), but for a while now (even before we began solids) he hasn't been nursing as much. He's pretty consistent with only nursing on one side per feeding, and only for a few minutes. He seems happy between feedings (which are every two or three hours). I am so worried about drying up though. Should I be pumping or will my supply just adjust to his needs without aid?

He eats solids once or twice a day, but often doesn't eat much at each feeding (MAYBE a half a jar per feeding).

Advertisement

literacylaunchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wink Re: Should I Pump?

Oops, I misread your post... I misunderstood what your doc meant!

Have you tried any tea that helps boost milk production?? Also, oatmeal & OJ are supposed to help too. Your body will adjust, but solids can also cause your supply to drop.. I have never had a supply issues except when pregnant, but I do know many mamas who had issues w/solids & BF.

Last edited by daddyn4wisechix; 11-28-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: read post wrong ;0)
daddyn4wisechix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I Pump?

That is alot of solids for a 5 month old baby. My babies don't get solids until close to 1 year because breastmilk has everything they need until they are 1.

I am not sure what your question is.

IF you are worried about supply and want to continue nursing I would stop the solids and jsut nurse him for another few months and then start back with solids about 9-12 months.

ANd yes your supply will just adjust but he should always be nursing first before any solids as the milk is what he needs to grow brain cells.
Wife for 20 years to Lance Sr. SAHM, homeschooling mom of 7, 4 boys and 3 little girls, Christian 22 , Lance 18 , Philip 12 , James 10 , Princess Princess Catherine 8 Rainbow Baby Reagan 5, Molly and baby Abigail due in March
cupcakewright is offline   Reply With Quote