Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #21
NikkiP
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Raw milk

I can get it delivered for about $5 a half gallon. I liked it, but the kids didn't - they say it is "gritty" LOL I get it occasionally for myself, but we typically just go Organic. Cheaper too.

Advertisement

NikkiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #22
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

3 $ a gallon here... from a "co-op". We buy in for 45 dollars, because you cannot buy raw milk, instead we are simply "getting milk from our own cow" and paying someone else a "collection fee".

Its great.
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #23
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We pay $4 - $5 per bale of alfalfa. :P Cinderella and her cohorts reside in our "backyard" and the milk is technically free. The Amish will generally (at least here in Iowa) sell straight to the consumer too. Just drop by their farm sometime and ask. When Rebecca was little, we bought milk from the Amish at about $1 per quart.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #24
jandk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought the raw milk I got was cheap... guess not!!!
I pay $16 a gallon!!! But it is Jersey cow milk, which has the best flavor... maybe that's why!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #25
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom View Post
Of course there are farmers who slack in any industry so my personal thought is to go see the cows and the facility yourself - any farmer running a clean operation would let you come in and see the barn, the animals and milking parlor.
Really good point.
Even more importantly you'd watch them milk... Watch to see if they check for mastitis (strip cup) and if they clean/sterilize the udders before milking. A clean goat/cow will still lie in poop and get her udder dirty, pretty much daily. They'd also be clear of TB or any other disease and have had their entire herd tested.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #26
nicoleandmax
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just looked into the realmilk.com thanks to a mama here. I got in contact with a woman who coordinates a group of people who share driving to Sarasota to buy the milk from a lady who gets it from a place in North Florida. THen I would have to go to Ft Myers from Naples. It costs 7$ a gallon and comes in plastic jugs which is fine. Well I am not going to be driving to Sarasota once every 5 months and I am not going to Ft Myers every other week. So I calculated how much I charge per hour when I do private therapy, I'm a speech pathologist, and $12 a gallon is way more worth my time and energy!!!! But I would much prefer buying from a plac ein Florda vs the carbon footprint shipping from PA. I may talk to the store owner and find out why he does not source something more local.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #27
MomOfSJandL
Registered Users

My Mood:

Stupid question here... when you get the milk, do you "skim" it? I have been interested in raw milk, but one of the reasons I have not purchased any yet is because I wouldn't know how to handle it. My mom tells me when she was little, you had to let it "sit" then "skim" it, but she's all the way out in Texas and therefore cannot show me how... LOL She's not very good at explaining it. Do you guys do that?
Come Visit My Blog!
MomOfSJandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #28
MommyMarshall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All we drink is raw milk. We pay $5 per gallon here in Missouri. We are actually from Wisconsin and get our milk from a great family farm and they charge $25 for 7 gallons! Great deal! You just get your gallons and tally them up and when you reach your 7 you pay.

Also, to answer some of the saftey during pregnancy questions. I say ABSOLUTELY SAFE! I mean as long as you are getting it from a good source. There is bacteria in it, but it is good for you. If there is any harmful stuff, the milk itself, actually takes care of that. I saw that the realmilk.com site was already posted on here, but look under their pregnancy section. I wouldn't waste my money and deplete my good nutrition with pasturized milk, esp. when I am pregnant.

Last edited by MommyMarshall; 05-10-2009 at 07:37 PM.
MommyMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #29
MommyMarshall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just saw the skimming of the milk post.

I let mine sit a day or so (mainly b/c I'm busy and can't get to it right away LOL) Then I take a soup ladel and just scoop off the cream and put it in another bottle or container. I keep my milk in big gallon jars with wide mouths so that scooping is easier and then transfer it to a jar that is easier to pour. It is really easy to do and then you have great cream for whatever you want. I usually make butter (which is much easier than it seems and oh so yummy and good for you!), sometimes I keep it for my coffee, one week I made creme brulee and oh my that was delicious!
I used to just keep shaking up the milk and keeping the cream in there with the milk, but there are so many good uses for cream I skim it off now. Besides pasturized heavy cream in the store is so expensive and now I'm getting two products out of my one gallon of milk.
MommyMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #30
Cindyh
Registered Users
seller

Thank you so much for the butter/cream/coffee tip! I just signed up to join a milk group and my husband was giving me a hard time. But pointing out that we'll save on half-and-half that he puts in his coffee EVERY DAY and that we can make butter was good convincing! Thanks much!

Oh! And it's $5/gallon in upstate NY.

Last edited by Cindyh; 05-11-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Cindyh is offline   Reply With Quote