Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dentist says not to night nurse?? WHAT??

Ok so I just got back from DS's first dental visit. They said that we shouldn't be night nursing because of the sugars in the milk will rot baby's teeth. (no signs of anything yet, DS is 16months old). The Dental Assistant said that we were lucky and most babies that come in where the moms say they night nurse already have tooth decay What did cultures do 1000 years ago? I highly doubt their babies' teeth rotted out. How would they have gotten baby to go to sleep or sooth in the middle of the night? Do you think diet has to do with it? I am on a very low grain diet (paleo diet) so my eating habits should be pretty consistent with cultures of old (ok maybe except for all the dairy I eat). Sorry this is a bit of a venting rant, I just don't know what I am supposed to do for bed time routine then, I don't want tooth decay for sure, but I am pretty sure if DS falls asleep nursing and I then get a washcloth and rub his teeth, it probably wouldn't be the most relaxing experience prior to putting him to bed.

Advertisement

m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dentist says not to night nurse?? WHAT??

Umm...that sounds like a load of baloney to me....I really don't believe that the sugar in breastmilk is going to make your babies teeth rot. Show me some research!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

ok, so I just found this:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

which makes me feel so much better, but I am still concerned about the Dental Assistant's comment that most babies that do come in that are night nursed do have decay issues already. --what are those mammas doing that I can avoid? OH, and why is my dentist retarded in not knowing the above???

I don't really give DS juice or dried fruits (dried fruits like raisins etc can get stuck in the molars)
Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Smalls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They are probably giving you a blanket statement about nursing or bottle feeding before bed.

It's true that sending a baby to sleep with a bottle can cause tooth decay. However, those bottles usually have cow's milk, juice etc in them.

I'm not sure the same rules apply to breastmilk.

Just a case of dentist trying to give you advice without really asking (or thinking) about your situation. No harm/no foul. If there's no issues yet, I doubt there will be in the future. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my DD had severe facial damage at 14 months....the dentist knew i nursed her....never said a word about it....every visit he would ask if i was still nursing (she had to be seen every 6 months) and i was always honest....he never ever had a problem with it, even when i told him i was still nursing her at 2.5 years old....he was perfectly fine with it....even night nursing.....my pediatric dentist is 'old school' so i dont know if that has anything to do with it
Old 10-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do suspect diet may have something to do with it actually - I've read a few times about gluten causing tooth decay. Also, that the sugar problem is not so much the sugars in the milk but rather when it mixes with sugar in other foods.

I don't think night nursing is always bad or always leads to tooth decay, so I don't agree with your dentist at all. You have to nurse at night if your baby is hungry! No way would I think of night weaning a baby that young!

Last edited by mel j; 10-26-2010 at 04:53 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also call shenanigans.

I do make sure my DS doesn't eat anything after he brushes his teeth before bed, nursing doesn't count.

And your dental assistant sees it "all the time", where do you live that you have more than 2 people nursing at 16m?!

I was really concerned about my DSs teeth because they seemed really yellow, come to find out DS will let DH brush his teeth where he just battles me and bites the brush. Now that DH is brushing his teeth better they seem fine
Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ITA with others, it's probably a blanket statement. Nursing actually puts the nipple past the teeth, so milk doesn't touch their teeth anyway.

Any bottle (containing Formula, milk, juice, whatever) can cause tooth decay though, because the bottle causes the liquid to pool in their mouth.

Chances are they've never seen another person who has nursed at that age, only moms still giving bottles in bed, and they don't realize that there is a difference.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
And your dental assistant sees it "all the time", where do you live that you have more than 2 people nursing at 16m?!
LOL, I live in Bellingham, home of the hippies! 16m is nothing around here
Old 10-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzbear View Post
ITA with others, it's probably a blanket statement. Nursing actually puts the nipple past the teeth, so milk doesn't touch their teeth anyway.

Any bottle (containing Formula, milk, juice, whatever) can cause tooth decay though, because the bottle causes the liquid to pool in their mouth.

Chances are they've never seen another person who has nursed at that age, only moms still giving bottles in bed, and they don't realize that there is a difference.

This is what I am thinking too. This is what I also gathered from the article that cited the studies that dentists are basing all this info on anyways.