Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #31
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Homebirth increases adverse outcomes and death

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
Kinda my thought too. There are plenty of bad doctors as well and no one is suggesting thier stats not be counted.
Because presumably they received training and are doctors. I would never suggest including births by people who claim to be doctors but have little to no training.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #32
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post

Because presumably they received training and are doctors. I would never suggest including births by people who claim to be doctors but have little to no training.
Right, but part of what is making home births more risky are those with little to no training, and thats kinda the point. That is why we are saying we can't compare our stats with other countries because they have more regulations surrounding home birth. So here, for the average person, their is more risk involved because there generally isn't anyone checking in on who is and isn't qualified to attend these births.

FTR I have no issue with home births for low risk pregnancies that are attended by a truly qualified midwife with legitimate training.

Last edited by s@hmommy; 02-05-2014 at 01:50 PM.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #33
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Right, but part of what is making home births more risky are those with little to no training, and thats kinda the point. That is why we are saying we can't compare our stats with other countries because they have more regulations surrounding home birth. So here, for the average person, their is more risk involved because there generally isn't anyone checking in on who is and isn't qualified to attend these births.
I would see that as a reason to introduce regulations regarding midwifery, not reasons to scare people off of home birth.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #34
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy24babes View Post
I'm in Ontario Canada, and there has never been a single home birth death.
Really? (ETA: that is fantastic news, if so! I'm hoping for my 2nd homebirth in another 6-7 wks) I'm also in Ontario and have to admit I'm surprised to hear this. I do agree that the midwifery standards are strong and they have great systems in place (ie local Ambulance services are posted on alert when a midwife heads out to a homebirth, etc). I'm just surprised that some babes haven't been lost in a homebirth scenario - ie previously undetected unviable babes, etc

I, too, am glad to see studies done though. I haven't looked at any recently in Ontario, but the stats my midwifery group gives us only compares low-risk pgs under GPs/OBs to low-risk pgs under midwifery care, and they were clear about that.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #35
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
This is true, which is why we need it regulated. However, if you looked at planned homebirths with a educated and trained midwife, and planned hospital births with a doctor, both options would be relatively safe.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #36
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post

This is true, which is why we need it regulated. However, if you looked at planned homebirths with a educated and trained midwife, and planned hospital births with a doctor, both options would be relatively safe.
Ha, I just added to my post agreeing with just this.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #37
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post

I would see that as a reason to introduce regulations regarding midwifery, not reasons to scare people off of home birth.
Abolutely, regulations need to happen. I think that showing real statistics for the current situation though is more likely to make it happen though versus saying if you use a good midwife (because how can you know if no one is overseeing them?) its just as safe as the hospital.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #38
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGiggles
Really? (ETA: that is fantastic news, if so! I'm hoping for my 2nd homebirth in another 6-7 wks) I'm also in Ontario and have to admit I'm surprised to hear this. I do agree that the midwifery standards are strong and they have great systems in place (ie local Ambulance services are posted on alert when a midwife heads out to a homebirth, etc). I'm just surprised that some babes haven't been lost in a homebirth scenario - ie previously undetected unviable babes, etc I, too, am glad to see studies done though. I haven't looked at any recently in Ontario, but the stats my midwifery group gives us only compares low-risk pgs under GPs/OBs to low-risk pgs under midwifery care, and they were clear about that.
Yes. I looked into this after an OB went off on me about " all the dead babies" after finding out I was planning a home birth.

Not a single death relating to home birth in all Ontario.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #39
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGiggles View Post
Really? (ETA: that is fantastic news, if so! I'm hoping for my 2nd homebirth in another 6-7 wks) I'm also in Ontario and have to admit I'm surprised to hear this. I do agree that the midwifery standards are strong and they have great systems in place (ie local Ambulance services are posted on alert when a midwife heads out to a homebirth, etc). I'm just surprised that some babes haven't been lost in a homebirth scenario - ie previously undetected unviable babes, etc

I, too, am glad to see studies done though. I haven't looked at any recently in Ontario, but the stats my midwifery group gives us only compares low-risk pgs under GPs/OBs to low-risk pgs under midwifery care, and they were clear about that.
Maybe they are not including non viable births in their stats? I would understand that one as it doesn't matter where a baby births if baby is not viable. The death will happen either way.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #40
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy24babes View Post
Yes. I looked into this after an OB went off on me about " all the dead babies" after finding out I was planning a home birth.

Not a single death relating to home birth in all Ontario.
A quick Google disagrees.