Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I want to get some to make a couple body products, use them for cleaning, etc. But I really don't know all that much about them. I know you can't just use them all willy nilly so I want to learn more about them. Also learn things like needing a carrier oil, the best brands, how to use them properly, which can be dangerous, etc.

Anyone want to give me some advice, tips, tricks, site links, or book recs? I'd also love to know how you personally use them and your favorites to keep on hand.

Advertisement

Last edited by MothyrGrimm; 01-22-2014 at 05:21 PM.
MothyrGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Lets talk essential oils.

I use peppermint the most (headaches, sinuses, other general nastiness).

Lemon or TTO are sometimes applied in cleaning, and my hand soap has lemon in it (a good nerve balancing sort of smell). Some of my friends use eucalyptus for all cleaning (laundry, bathroom, etc., but that is an EO that overwhelms me and gives me headaches if I expose myself too much or too often; I'm that way with lavender too, although I can use small amounts of lavender in recipes that mix EOs).

I use clove fairly often for pain. It is one that typically requires a base oil b/c it is carminative, but I find that I can use it straight in small amounts.

Bergamot and any citrus oils really are great for deodorizing. I've started to make my own "Poo Pourri." I only use it if I know I am about to have company or some such (as I do like to be sparing with essential oils), but I have a squirt bottle filled with witch hazel and the aforementioned EOs that I can shake and spray into my toilet before dropping some. Much nicer than spraying something (even something natural) into the air, IMO, b/c it eats the smell at the source.

Despite using all different sorts of EOs in my deodorants, I am quite sparing in my in home use. I don't want to overexpose myself to these concentrates.

I buy a cheap version of thieves called germ fighter from Amazon (use a base oil for this one). Otherwise I like to get quality, organic oils from Mountain Rose Herbs.

Last edited by debcita429; 01-22-2014 at 05:52 PM.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have a whole bunch of them. I have a full compliment of the eos used in insect repellant. Three of them are useful for other things - peppermint, eucalyptus and geranium. When I am stuffy, a bit of peppermint and eucalyptus in the bath and let the steam permeate.

I make coconut lime lip balm, so I have lime. I made postpartum pad spray so I have marjoram and rosemary (instead of dreaded lavender)

I have tto. For scent, I have sweet orange, bergamot, lemon. I make lotion so I scent it differently depending upon the application.

I think you need to start slow. My entry was the insect repellent. I think I bought 5 or 6 at the time.

I'm very happy purchasing Aura Cacia from the Frontier co-op.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh that reminds me too! Which ones do you like best for the scent?

I just saw the co-op is over.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is always another Frontier co-op. I run them every other month, starting on the 21st of the month. The next one will start on February 21. Before you know it.

I really like Bergamot for scent, paired with patchouli and geranium. Bergamot and patchouli go well together and you can tamp that earthly scent down by adding in geranium and going easy on the patchouli. I am definitely not the best person to ask though, because I am seriously lacking in floral essential oils. Ylang ylang, rose, jasmine, neroli, lavender, all missing from my collection. All I've got really is the geranium. I've really been wanting neroli but it's very expensive.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
There is always another Frontier co-op. I run them every other month, starting on the 21st of the month. The next one will start on February 21. Before you know it.

I really like Bergamot for scent, paired with patchouli and geranium. Bergamot and patchouli go well together and you can tamp that earthly scent down by adding in geranium and going easy on the patchouli. I am definitely not the best person to ask though, because I am seriously lacking in floral essential oils. Ylang ylang, rose, jasmine, neroli, lavender, all missing from my collection. All I've got really is the geranium. I've really been wanting neroli but it's very expensive.
Yay!!!

And I saw some were super spendy like the rose and sandalwood too.

Another question - what is an absolute? I noticed the rose is a rose absolute.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
gehagge
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have found Plant Therapy (planttherapy.com) to have very reasonable prices (free shipping) and excellent advice on their Facebook page if you have questions. I'm just getting started myself, so I don't have a whole lot to add other than you should use a carrier oil with pretty much any eo for safety.

A great resource is learningabouteos.com and the Facebook page for Using essential oils safely. Both are great resources.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
gehagge
Registered Users
seller
seller

An absolute is usually obtained using a chemical distillation technique instead of steam (I can't remember the right words) and is spendy usually because it takes lots of roses to make it.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Best carrier oils?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sorry, I hope this isn't crashing and something you might be wondering anyway, but why do you need to be careful with essential oils? What makes them "dangerous"?