Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Breastfeeding difficulties out of nowhere...

Isaiah is having a hard time nursing lately.

It started a few days ago, I think, but he won't nurse really once my milk lets down. I think it's from oversupply/too much too fast, but it's REALLY frustrating. He gets SUPER ANGRY and stops/cries/roots around/cries... And I don't know what to do!!! I offer it again, but then my milk will let down AGAIN, and we're back to square one again.

I'm afraid since he's really only getting foremilk that he's going to stop gaining and my supply is going to disappear...

What do I do?!

Advertisement

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Malakaiii
Registered Users
seller

Re: Breastfeeding difficulties out of nowhere...

Hang in there, mama!

The La Leche League has lots of great info on oversupply!

Off the top of my head, can you pump a bit before a feeding? That'd take the edge off for him and not overwhelm the little dude.

I'm sure the experienced breastfeeders will have more useful ideas. I just have lots of hugs!
Malakaiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 AM   #3
greeneyedambe
Registered Users
Formerly: comfycozydiapers
seller

My Mood:

I have had this same problem with both of my little guys. I would definitely consider pumping off a little first to try to relieve that first let-down. I understand how you feel though because I have multiple letdowns as well. We are blessed to have an oversupply but darn it sure can come with a set of challenges on its on. You may already be doing this but you could try to make sure he is upright when you start nursing so it is easier for him to swallow and/or reject some of the milk. I have also had to lay down and let baby get on top to nurse (mouth down) to help keep the milk from overwhelming him.

This is just a little hiccup on the breastfeeding road. It will work out. No need to worry about supply or baby. Check out this link as well:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
Old 10-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
Formerly: MrsMommy0805
seller

My Mood:

I had that problem too. What I would do is I would go into the bathroom and suck a little out of my breasts (I can't pump or hand express, it doesn't work)... Just enough that he wouldn't get a mouth full as soon as he got on. I had to do that for 1-2 weeks but now my milk supply is perfect. I did worry about having too much milk, expressing it, and my body thinking I had to still make that much milk, but it worked itself out!!

My DS still chokes on my milk though I have a really strong let down I guess. But he'll grow into it. I had the same problems with my DS and it worked out, too. Just hang in there. And try to express just a little milk (like 1/2 oz to 1 oz) before you nurse if your breasts are too full.

Oh and now if DS goes too long without nursing, my breasts will be full and I will put DS on it still. He will latch, suck, unlatch, swallow a couple times, latch, suck, unlatch, swallow, etc. for a few minutes until he can finally stay latched without a problem.

You'll get through this momma! I KNOW it's frustrating. Just try to be patient and it will work its way out!
PatchworkPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
luvmyfam
Registered Users

My Mood:

i also try to lift the baby and my breast so iyts not like pouring down into her mouth. maybe the football hold an sitting baby up rather than laying dow. lots of pillows. hang ion there.

I have been married to my marine for 10 wonderful years and spend my time knitting and happily homeschooling our 9 yo girl, 6 yo boy, 18 month old girl and our newest addition arrived 30 days early on Sept 23 at 1:05 pm weighing 5 lbs 11oz.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Lucysmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am having the same issue with Beau but we are slowly working it out as we adjust to one another. The only other word of advice that I have that seems to help us is to "block nurse"; I will nurse on only one side for 2-3 feedings. Then I will pump the other breast and switch to that side. This really helps and then you don't have to worry that baby isn't only getting foremilk It gets better but I totally hear you that it is soooo frustrating! The laying on top of me position does help sometimes too. And in bed at night when we side-lay nurse I have to put my arm under his little head so hes upright some and this really seems to help a lot too. He still chokes during feedings though. The hardest part about it now is that it's causing him to get gassy because he is gulping so much air and that causes discomfort and he also throws up after feedings a lot because he's getting too much too fast. Like I said though, it is getting better as he gets older and my milk adjusts to him. Good luck and have faith Mama, its gonna get better!

Kellymom has some great tips and advice on he subject too...http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
Old 10-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas!
Leann - I started block feedings yesterday morning and things are already getting a lot better, at least for Isaiah.

Today he spit up, but it was a fraction of what he normally spits up and looked undigested/broken down (normally he was spitting up curdled/digested milk). So, I'll take that as a good sign that he's not overeating/getting overwhelmed by the amount any more.

I haven't pumped any milk off the side that he's not nursing on during the blocks. I just unhook my bra, put a diaper underneath the boob, and it catches whatever comes with the letdown. That's also useful for when I pull him off at letdown and he's overwhelmed.

Man, I don't remember spraying milk like this with my DD.. I did a little, but not this much.. LOL.

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
BerryBlues
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could also try leaning back while you nurse, like in a reclining chair. That way gravity is on your side and the milk isn't going directly to the back of babies mouth. I block feed and lean back to nurse, I think it helps when my DD nurses. She doesn't choke as often.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
Zpatrol
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryBlues View Post
You could also try leaning back while you nurse, like in a reclining chair. That way gravity is on your side and the milk isn't going directly to the back of babies mouth. I block feed and lean back to nurse, I think it helps when my DD nurses. She doesn't choke as often.
I second this! We haven't been dealing with supply issues but we did have a latch issues for a little while and this was the only way I could get her to take more into her mouth. Hope you find something that works soon!
Old 10-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
luvmyfam
Registered Users

My Mood:

Man, I don't remember spraying milk like this with my DD.. I did a little, but not this much.. LOL.[/QUOTE]

LOL me too, baby was choking on the milk last night so i had to pull her off and my milk was spraying everywhere, including all over her face.

I have been married to my marine for 10 wonderful years and spend my time knitting and happily homeschooling our 9 yo girl, 6 yo boy, 18 month old girl and our newest addition arrived 30 days early on Sept 23 at 1:05 pm weighing 5 lbs 11oz.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote