Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #61
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Re: Homemade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellybellybuttons View Post
Hmm, I couldn't get the butter to absorb the evaporated milk, will anything else work better? Should I add salt to break it down? or ?
I had to mix it forever to get it absorbed. Initially I liked this recipe, but after putting it in the fridge, it hardened back up pretty bad. I think I'm going to get a butter bell, and just keep my butter out of the fridge.

Advertisement

myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #62
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfrugalfunlife

I had to mix it forever to get it absorbed. Initially I liked this recipe, but after putting it in the fridge, it hardened back up pretty bad. I think I'm going to get a butter bell, and just keep my butter out of the fridge.
I swear the butter bell goes against logic lol you like turn it but it doesn't come out. I don't understand it!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #63
bellybellybuttons
Registered Users
Formerly: boobybaby
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found this, add olive oil to butter, hmm I will try it as soon as my butter gets back to room temp and is not a solid rock.

http://www.cheap-and-easy-recipes.co...oft-butter.htm

Update, decided not to wait and heated it on the stove, now it has 3/4c of evaporated milk, 1/3 c of olive oil, cooling in the fridge now. Update you in an hour. lol

Last edited by bellybellybuttons; 01-20-2011 at 08:58 AM.
bellybellybuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #64
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Buttermilk substitution recipe-cheap!
http://frugalliving.about.com/od/con...ermilk_Sub.htm

Make your own powder sugar
http://frugalliving.about.com/od/con...ered_Sugar.htm

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 01-23-2011 at 08:16 PM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #65
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh I love recipes like that! The kind to make ingredients that you can buy. I'm really interested in the homemade yeast I found. Did I post that link? lol if not here it is.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #66
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So I want to make my own yogurt, but the process seems to intimidating. any suggestions? Does a yogurt maker simplify thing?
hsleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #67
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not the best baker, but I need to get on top of making healthier snacks... I make good meals, but our snacks aren't the greatest. For some reason baking bread is always intimdating to me, but I'm gonna try some of the cracker recipes and see how it goes!

I did mix up the cream of anything soup mix today and was pleasantly surprised. The smell of powedered milk is (maybe because I'm preggo...) but it tasted wonderful. I didn't have dried onion, so I left that out and will add it tomorrow... I have enough mix to last a while! Today I just sauteed up some fresh onion and a can of mushrooms with some butter and garlic, I also added dried porcini mushrooms and it was fabulous lunch! I felt better about making such an easy lunch for the kids because it wasn't from a can with a bunch of junk added to it that's my kind of lunch, easy and healthy, and the kids will eat it! lol

thanks for this AWESOME thread!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #68
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok, possibly silly question here... why bother making homemade sour cream? From a frugal standpoint it's more money for me to buy cream and buttermilk... a small tub of sour cream is like $2 where I shop. From a healthy standpoint, I don't see any wierd additives in store bought sour cream... am I missing something

thanks!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #69
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar_booger View Post
ok, possibly silly question here... why bother making homemade sour cream? From a frugal standpoint it's more money for me to buy cream and buttermilk... a small tub of sour cream is like $2 where I shop. From a healthy standpoint, I don't see any wierd additives in store bought sour cream... am I missing something

thanks!
It could be as much for a substitution standpoint when you are making something and realize "oh darn, I forgot the sour cream." Then you can make your own (assuming you already have cream and buttermilk).

For us, I make my own yogurt and strain the whey off until it is very thick and we use that as a sour cream replacement. And that is a lot cheaper than a tub of sour cream.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #70
mfernandez
Registered Users
seller

Subbing!