Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #11
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone have homeschool questions?

Once you choose a curriculum and look it over and get started it will be much easier! I used Abeka books growing up and I really recommend them! Try to relax and have fun with it and things will go well.

Advertisement

Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #12
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Oh and as far as what you were talking about with being "mom" and "teacher" and how your kids respond to you, it could be partly their learning style that they like to discover things themselves. You can facilitate that by going on adventures together (ie field trips) or just by modifying your approach to allow them to figure things out on their own for a few minutes then you show them, things like that. Teaching (HSing) is kind of like an adventure that you go on with your kids, do science experiments together and see what happens, that type thing. You can disguise the fact that you are teaching them. Hope that helps a little...
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering

Last edited by mercy589; 10-02-2006 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling error, lol
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:36 PM   #13
naturegirl7
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am thinking about HSing DS - although I know DH will fight me on it.

I do have a few specific questions. I was not HS, but do know people who were. Honestly, it was not a good experience and gave me a very bad first impression of HS. I am actively trying to change my construct regarding HSing.

Here is the background.
In middle school, several of my friends were pulled out and HS. Their entire church decided to HS. They were only allowed to socialize with kids from within the church. Later on in HS, my BF (the only public school attending kid of the church) convinced me to attend some youth group meetings and friendships were temporarily rekindled (until I stopped going to the church).
I found that my friends were very sheltered and socially rather stunted. All were very naive, very immature, very fearful of the outside world. None (except my BF) had any plans to go to a college, university, or trade school. One girl was thinking about going to a missionary college in Florida to learn missionary skills and then traveling to some needy country (she got married instead).

Looking back, I think it was more the church isolation than the HSing that affected these kids and stunted them socially and emotionally. I think my then BF got to see a different side of the world by going to public school and associating with all us bad non church members...

BUt like I said, this clouded my opinion of HSing rather negatively until recently. I don't want to judge all HSers based upon this group.

So my questions:
1. Did you go on to complete any secondary education? Do you hold a degree or certificate in anything?
2. What line of work are you in?
3. Do you feel like you can "hold your own" when with a group of your peers (nonHS peers that is)? when around strangers? People of different age groups?
4. What sort of activities were provided to you to encourage social and emotional development?
5. What do you feel was personally the biggest advantage and the biggest disadvantage of your being HS?
6. as a kid - did you like being HS or wish to be back in public school?
7. do you know of any HS programs that are NOT Christian based?

thanks!! I really look forward to your reply
naturegirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #14
Merisong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well.. I feel very bad.. I started this thread on Sept. 4th with the intent of watching it and responding to posts! Then I decided (slightly haphazardly) to launch the testing phase of a new cover/soaker and I basically got knocked over with the overwhelming response! One very vague post on one yahoo group yielded 35 people interested. I have been sewing and tweaking my heart out for the past month on my design with the help of the 15 or so testers. It looks like I will be even pursuing a patent in the next 6m to a year.

So I will try to respond to the best of my ability (and memory) to eveyone's questions and keep up with this thread a bit better now

Thanks for your understanding and patience!

Cindy
Merisong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #15
Merisong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
Yes but they're just so general. My dh thinks our kids will be freaks and uneducated and not be able to get into college... the usual stereotypes. We don't know any adults who were hs'ed through high school, can you just tell me about it?
Does any public school that you know of ever turn out freaks? uneducated? dropouts? kids not college bound?

My thoughts are, you as the parent, are ultimately responsible for your child's education. If you homeschool to the best of your knowledge and ability and your child is still a "freak/uneducated/not college bound/etc" then you can say I did ALL I could... if you send them to PS then you are leaving their education (and future) in someone else's hands.. along with the 30+ odd students in that classroom. Some could say that you would be absolved from educational responsibility.. but are you really?? In my humble opinion, you are still ultimately responsible but in the PS you have very little you are able to control/change/improve to effect the end outcome.

Who truely has your child's best interest at heart?

Keep in mind that just because you homeschool doesnt mean you will always have to... I actually attended PS and private school at some point in my 12 yrs of grade school.

From my experience, homeschooling changes as the child ages just like elementary changes into middle and then to highschool.. complete with different expections, challenges, goals, requirements, joys, etc.. Starting in 8th grade, I took weekly supplimental classes because my mom did not feel like she was able to effectively teach the upper levels of English and Math. I also took several Art and Science classes because of the opportunity to try new mediums and use expensive equiptment that we were not able to have at home. Then starting my senior year of Highschool I started taking college classes at my local community college. When I graduated from Highschool I had even more college credit classes than the advanced PS student that also took dual credit classes (different names in different states but the gist was that you got Highschool and College credit for the same class because it was taught on a first year college level) Also, starting in 9th grade (I think) I started taking the SATs as my legally required standardized test. The last time I took it I believe I was in the low 1400's. (Which in my family was 2nd from top out of 5 girls - 3 of who were homeschooled)

Having been homeschooled through highschool, my mom did a superb job of finding groups/activities/sports for me to participate in and I would have to say out of the huge variety of people I knew (everyone from highschool dropouts to college bound at 15, socially inept to the adept, etc etc the "range" in the homeschooled seemed to average higher/better than their public school counterparts. That isnt to say that I didnt know PS kids that were taking 2nd year calculus and HS kids that struggled with their GED but the average was higher.. in my mind that equates to a better chance at a better outcome.

Other thoughts... between two of the styles of teaching "learn how to learn" and "memorize facts"... ask yourself which skill would you wish to have in the work place? which do you wish your co-workers were better at? do you think society as a whole is lacking in one or the other? Now.. which style is prevalent in the PS?

Out of thoughts for the moment.. moving on to next post

Cindy
Old 10-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #16
Merisong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmom2chris View Post
I would love to HS. However, I am totally not patient and usually unorganized. I also am not creative and wouldn't know where to start with the whole process. My SIL HSs and I think it's awesome!
My mom swears to this day that she is not patient, nor is she organized (you should SEE the house I grew up in) and she hasnt a creative bone in her body... because she wanted to and kept trying and was always trying to educate herself on how to be an educator she IMHO, was a smashing success!! Basically, she didnt let any set back keep her back for long! I think one of the best skills to homeschool with is perserverance. Although patience sure is a plus!!

Where to start... well... ask your SIL a zillion questions! Most homeschoolers can atleast point you in the right direction to find more pertinent info. Aside from that marvelous resourse... find other homeschoolers in your area.. yahoo has a bunch of groups and there are support groups most everywhere.. and atleast my state (NC) has a legal group that protects teh legal right of homeschoolers and also (I think) has a comprehensive list of support groups in the state. Go to a homeschooling conference - usually in mid spring that provide classes and workshops.. also an opportunity to browse through curriculm and sometimes even talk to the author! Find out the legal requirements for your state. remember homeschooling can be anywhere, anytime.. my mom started in July of my 2nd grade year sayin that we were going to try it for 1 month and see how it goes (that way I could still start on time in a regular school if we couldnt get our act together..) that 1 month turned into 10 years (with a break in the middle) ...

cant think of anything else atm..

I hope soemthing I said has been helpful!

Cindy
Old 10-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #17
Merisong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy589 View Post
I was homeschooled too. Most of the HS moms I meet are like "Oh, thank goodness, and you turned out okay?" lol. I think just the fact that I'm a semi-normal adult is a huge relief. lol I'll try to check back to this thread when I have more time... (I am going to HS my own kids as well.)
I get this ALL the time too! I plan to HS my own kids and my sisters are (or planning to) homeschool their kids