Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2006, 06:48 AM   #1
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Letter of intent to HS?

Ok, I have 2 letters typed up, one for each child in PS right now. Does this just go their principal or do I have to send this to the superintendant?

Do I also send him information on what we plant to teach during the year? Gosh that is going to take some time but what else do I need besides this right now?

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #2
stellar225
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Letter of intent to HS?

I know when I was homeschooled my dad was supposed to let the superintendent know.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar225
I know when I was homeschooled my dad was supposed to let the superintendent know.

Ok, I think I may send a letter to both the principal and the super. just in case
Old 09-25-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

It depends on your state. Here is the link for the HSDLA for Virginia.
http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/VA/default.asp
As long as you have a HS diploma, all you have to do is file the letter with the superintendent and then give them the state tests, or if you have religious reasons you can file the exemption and not even have to do the regular testing. I think you can get copies of previous years tests online so you can administer them yourself. You would have to check. Happy Homeschooling!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
luckyduckies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

here is the form to fill out in Virginia

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/noi/NOI_form.doc

here is a step by step list

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/guide/#MidYear
luckyduckies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
Ima_to_6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in MA and send the letter of intent and a list of materials that we intend to use to the superintendant; he then forwards the letter to the principal of the school that my children would attend if they were going to PS and a grade level teacher looks over the materials list.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:51 PM   #7
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I have the letter and I went and got the curriculum according to what they both needed to learn in their year of schooling. Can I legally make THIS Friday their last day and start schooling them myself on Monday?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Nevermind Found it! VA laws states that I can take them out at anytime just as long as I am within compliance with the laws within 30 days. Meaning, I have to send the super. the letter of intent AND what curriculum I plan to use for this year within 30 days of withdrawl!

My girls are so excited and are totally onboard with this!

Plus, it's wonderful for Tiffany, who's got Asperger's Syndrome, this type of schooling will be perfect for her learning! I am just so SICK of the PS's exuses of why they lost my children after school, why their cafeteria STILL isn't open for lunches (they get crappy, lunchables type lunches EVERYDAY!), school dances for 11 year old children (sorry, too tight in our household LOL) and such. That is just a START of our grief!

Thank you all for your help! I am working on setting up their "learning" area with their new curriculum books and tools!
Old 09-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

Congrats mama!! It is so liberating and exciting when you are finally able to do what you know is right for your kids!!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
mamato5angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I pulled my dd out of school all I did was didn't send her and sent a letter saying that I was HS'ing that year and a list of books I was using. This is for NY. I didn't have to have anything special to do this.
Good luck to you.
mamato5angels is offline   Reply With Quote