Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2006, 05:58 AM   #1
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Homeschooling reimbursement from the state?

In talking to my cousin in Idaho, (she doesn't HS) she knows parents who HS around her and they have told her that in Idaho since they HS that the state reimburses them for classes their kids take. (dancing, music, art, etc.)

Where can I find info like that? I am SO hoping Virgina does that because we cannot afford diddly squat!

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2006, 06:02 AM   #2
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

Re: Homeschooling reimbursement from the state?

Wow! That would be awesome...nothing like that here in RI....you have to pay no matter what schooling you use and you don't get any reimbursements.
Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Ack, just checked and VA is NOT on that list I don't know how to get my children into sports or activities I hope I haven't made a mistake cause now my kids have no sports, music or art.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

where can i see that list? link please
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

Your local group can have art get togethers and there is music curriculum that you can get and they can teach themselves or you can learn along with them. I am not familiar with it but I have seen it. Some of them even have DVDs to show them what to do. Also, many kids can play with an instrument and learn how to play without any training. look out at yard sales and freecycle for free or very cheap instruments and let them try them all! Sports shouldn't be that much, my son's football is only $80 for the whole season (5 months) and if you know ahead of time when it starts you could save up for those things. Usually the parks and recreation dept. has things for very little and if you have a local polica activities league that is an option too. Once they get older, some schools (not everywhere) will let your kids take a couple classes there and they can be on the sports teams. HTH
Old 09-29-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Does the school system you just left provide the sports and dance classesfor the children at no cost? Around here they sure don't. Even the kids in the public schools have to pay for their dance lessons, baseball, and soccer. I think even the school teams have to pay a fee to join. That helps up keeps their uniforms and equiptment.

I have 3 of my girls in dance, (Lyndsay is 2, toolittle this year), and in the spring 4 or 5 of my kids will be in soccer again. All of this is paid by my hubby and I and everyother parent that signs their kids up. So even IF my kids were in public school we would still have to pay for these.

My boys also want to be in baseball and football. Fottball is very expensive, my cousins boys are in it and it is nearly $100 per child and their boys do go to ps. Baseball I think is about $25 per child.

The sports aren't as expensive, except for football....but dance is $28 per child per month, plus dance shoes, tights, and leotards. Then we pay for the recital outfits.

Here the soccer is privately owned, so is dance, and for the little ones baseball and football. They are not school affiliated.

I do not think there are any homeschooling reimbursements here in Indiana either, but I would still be interested in seeing the list!!

Also, as a pp suggested, save up for it before the time comes...and think of this maybe...if your dd's were still in ps would you be paying for breakfast? lunch? milk money? book orders? Maybe take that money you were used to paying and add it to your homeschools funds. If you dont have one maybe start one and each week take that amount and out it in a jar or something. You can use it for sports or dance and even field trips. You can even do some fund raisers for your school. Home Interiors has a candle sale your girls could do and you would get the profits! Just a thought for ya!!

HTH!!! Hugs!!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:56 PM   #7
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annes_cottage View Post
Also, as a pp suggested, save up for it before the time comes...and think of this maybe...if your dd's were still in ps would you be paying for breakfast? lunch? milk money? book orders? Maybe take that money you were used to paying and add it to your homeschools funds. If you dont have one maybe start one and each week take that amount and out it in a jar or something. You can use it for sports or dance and even field trips. You can even do some fund raisers for your school. Home Interiors has a candle sale your girls could do and you would get the profits! Just a thought for ya!!

HTH!!! Hugs!!!
We didn't eat school food but packed so that isn't different as they still eat LOL and we didn't do the book orders as we already have 100's of books at home so there isn't anything to save there But I may be interested in the candle sale! How do I get that set up? I need to have things like this to fund our schooling! Any links or numbers?

Oh the reimbursement is not through the PS, it's county run.

Also, I went to the community center and they can wave the fee's for activities and classes if your income to family member ration is whatever their cut-off is. Does that makes sense? So each family member can take 1 free class per issue, so that is 4 free classes per member for a total of 24 free classes for our particular family I just found this today so that made me feel great!
Old 09-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #8
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. My kids will use worksheets I hand write on newprint before I will take anything from the state. It wasn't too long ago that everyone had their nose in homeschoolers' business. There's not much to stop it from happening again.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegans_mommy View Post
We didn't eat school food but packed so that isn't different as they still eat LOL and we didn't do the book orders as we already have 100's of books at home so there isn't anything to save there But I may be interested in the candle sale! How do I get that set up? I need to have things like this to fund our schooling! Any links or numbers?

Oh the reimbursement is not through the PS, it's county run.

Also, I went to the community center and they can wave the fee's for activities and classes if your income to family member ration is whatever their cut-off is. Does that makes sense? So each family member can take 1 free class per issue, so that is 4 free classes per member for a total of 24 free classes for our particular family I just found this today so that made me feel great!
Just find someone in your area that sells Home Interior.

You may try locating one by going to their website and clicking on locate a distributor. I dont know the website but you could try www.homeinterior.com . lol hope that works...

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #10
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I know my town sends out booklets at every season and in the back there is a rather large selection of classes the town offers really cheap. I've looked into some of the toddler ones and plan to enroll Riley in a toddler dance class next season when shes a bit older and it's like 10-40 bucks per class for like 9-11 weeks or something. they have drawing classes, sports, kid/teen yoga, dance, gymnastics, oil painting, etc...etc...
something to look into.