Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #11
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: To Circumcise or not to Circumcise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I always thought that if in the future they wanted to they could see a plastic surgeon and get altered but they could never put the foreskin back. So I finally just let it be after traumatizing myself reading everything on the net.

I saw a Jewish circumcision up close and personal once and wonder if that eventually did come back to me when it was time for my second.

That's so funny.

For anyone reading and is afraid to ask: At attention they can look the same.

I wasn't sure if DH was or wasn't when we first got married!!!

Advertisement

MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
It used to be that you couldn't even ask the question here without being called a mutilator. I remember there was one dad in particular who would appear out of nowhere to argue with whoever was asking about circumcision.

I'm glad your getting some answers without judgement.

I remember those days.
It really bothers me that people attack each other so thoughtlessly. I got jumped on for asking a vaccine question here. Someone said I didn't know anything about vaccines. Um. Exactly. That's why I asked....

It also bothers me that there are men on this forum sometimes. Weird.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post

Well I can say I haven't seen enough to compare. I don't know that I would have known either. I can't remember ever discussing it or when I did know. It's just not the sort of thing you ask grown men!
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #14
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I was blushing typing that which made me laugh at myself. But I bet someone out there is wondering and certainly doesn't want to go and Google it.

Quote:
I remember those days.
It really bothers me that people attack each other so thoughtlessly. I got jumped on for asking a vaccine question here. Someone said I didn't know anything about vaccines. Um. Exactly. That's why I asked....

It also bothers me that there are men on this forum sometimes. Weird.
People are already stressed about these decisions no sense heaping some insults on there.

My dh and I went back and forth on this issue and he basically asked me for data and information. If I had approached him with insults and criticism it would not have gotten us anywhere.

Men on here are interesting. I think they fall into different categories. Some are in charge of this aspect of parenting, some really can't ask other guys the questions that can be asked here. Others like being the lone male surrounded by women. (Have you encountered a lone male in a playgroup? Usually they get fawned over for being great dads. Why does doing what everyone else is doing there earn them a pat on the back I will never know.)
Others used to come to specifically argue certain points. I think it really depends.

I do know that irl I don't know any man that would come here. Well maybe one and he fit one of the above categories. I'm not saying which. Lol!
Old 10-08-2017, 01:28 AM   #15
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ex was circed and is a huge intactivist. He absolutely hates that he was circumcised and also has circumcision injury.

Dh is intact without issue so he of course wouldn't want to circumcise his children. He said the whole "locker room" scenario never happened and if it did he'd just be like "why were you looking at my junk?"
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #16
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my first DS circ had a bit of penile adhesion, he's 6 yo and we're giving it time to detach, no medical issues. my second DS also circ now 6 mo, no adhesion, no medical issues. we consider ourselves pretty healthy-thinking/loving family, we'll talk with DS as he grows more aware, and if it's a cosmetic problem he can handle that as an adult with an amazing self-esteem re: awesome parenting.

my parents family is against it, has their own traditional reasons, hubby's fam is for it, again, tradition.

i had the most enlightening conversation with the doctor who did 2nd circ, history of practice and most common surgery for circ --- definitely worth talking to them prior to delivery to understand it more
Old 10-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #17
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
My two boys ages 18 and 12 are both intact and have not had issue. I would NEVER circumcise my child. IMO it's a personal decision that an adult man should choose for himself
I do agree that a cosmetic surgery is something my children should choose for themselves, and at a time in life in which they can get anesthesia for the pain.

I always assumed I would circumcise my children. My husband's father is a pediatric surgeon. One evening when we were meeting for dinner he showed up late after being on call. He explained the reconstructive surgery he had just performed a 1 day old to try to reattach the head of the newborn's penis that had been removed in a botched circumcision and that did it for me.

I have 2 sons and neither are circumcised (and neither is my husband). We have never had any issues... my husband taught my son to clean his penis when he takes a shower (and we helped him clean it after the foreskin naturally retracted when he was 4ish).

There is a part of me that has to wonder why we are changing a part of our children's bodies that they were intentionally made with. I'm not religious, but my husband is, and he doesn't feel like we should mess with God's mold.

Just my two cents on a very sensitive subject and the reasons why we chose not to circumcise. Sounds like at least you are considering using a surgeon - I think that certainly makes more sense than a pediatrician not trained in surgery. I wish here in the States that is what insurance would cover for those who choose to circumcise.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:14 AM   #18
Lindobebe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine are intact if they decide to have it done we are fine with that but I want it to be their choice not mine.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:11 AM   #19
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby's mom View Post
There is a part of me that has to wonder why we are changing a part of our children's bodies that they were intentionally made with. I'm not religious, but my husband is, and he doesn't feel like we should mess with God's mold.
Interesting way of looking at it, since most people who do it for religious reasons do it because God commanded it be done.

Around here OBs typically do it, not peds, and OB is technically a surgical specialty.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #20
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby's mom View Post
I do agree that a cosmetic surgery is something my children should choose for themselves, and at a time in life in which they can get anesthesia for the pain.

I always assumed I would circumcise my children. My husband's father is a pediatric surgeon. One evening when we were meeting for dinner he showed up late after being on call. He explained the reconstructive surgery he had just performed a 1 day old to try to reattach the head of the newborn's penis that had been removed in a botched circumcision and that did it for me.

I have 2 sons and neither are circumcised (and neither is my husband). We have never had any issues... my husband taught my son to clean his penis when he takes a shower (and we helped him clean it after the foreskin naturally retracted when he was 4ish).

Just my two cents on a very sensitive subject and the reasons why we chose not to circumcise. Sounds like at least you are considering using a surgeon - I think that certainly makes more sense than a pediatrician not trained in surgery. I wish here in the States that is what insurance would cover for those who choose to circumcise.
That poor babe. Can you imagine the anguish of those parents?

The locker room situation never happened for my boys either. My dh is circ'd and it never really made a difference that the boys weren't.