Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pregnant at 44!

I found out today I am pregnant. Totally not planned. My oldest is almost 20 and my youngest is 7. Any other old ladies wind up pregnant? I know the chances of miscarriage are really high but I've never had one before so who knows? Just wondering if I'm not alone?

Advertisement

Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pregnant at 44!

Congratulations!!!! How are you feeling? My friend had her son at 45. It does happen.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I feel very pregnant! I'm a midwife so I really should have known better! I'm nauseous and my boobs started hurting 9 days post ovulation. I'm not even 5 weeks yet.
I'm excited but I know my older kids are going to freak out a little. I'm worried that I will miscarry and that's scary since I never had. But on the good side I won't have to pay for prenatal care😂
Old 03-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Signs can get confusing in the forties. I think even if the older ones freak they'll come around.
Do you have an irl support person you can tell about your surprise? Maybe someone who has undergone a loss? Maybe a conversation in preparation with a possible game plan for assistance if needed wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited by Agla; 03-14-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #5
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have told a couple people. They haven't had any losses either. I guess if I do have a loss it will just make me a better midwife. And I will be able to support women that much better.
I'm planning on doing genetic testing at around 9 weeks. I figure if I'm still pregnant then I can have a better idea if the baby is viable. Of course I'll be looking for a heartbeat at like 7.5 weeks even though I know it will prob be too early to find with my Doppler.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #6
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Congratulations Elizabeth! We live in NY and lots of mamas have babies in their early 40's. I'm so happy to hear about your pregnancy. It's fair to be so worried, especially at this beginning critical time. Youve got a friend here <3
Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you! I'm in NJ so I definitely see older moms but I guess I assume they did IVF or something. I mean 44 is seriously old!
I'm really excited about it and just want to get through the first trimester and then maybe I will feel safer.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:21 AM   #8
qiaraau
Registered Users

Congrats! Just stay healthy! You can take supplements like probiotics so you and your baby will have extra protection and immunity. Probiotics is great for pregnant women like you.
qiaraau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow congratulations! My midwife has kids aged 26-2years, she's in her 40s as well.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:51 AM   #10
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7 View Post
Thank you! I'm in NJ so I definitely see older moms but I guess I assume they did IVF or something. I mean 44 is seriously old!
Reconsider that. 44 is NOT “seriously old”. Fertility is different for everyone. There are 21 year olds that need IVF treatments for premature ovarian failure, etc. You have been granted the gift of fertility at 44. You’re not the first. Throughout time, mamas of your age have unexpectedly become pregnant and carried to term. No, it’s not as common as a 20y or 30y being pregnant. But it happens. And like all pregnancy- it’s a gift. Congratulations again. Consider reframing your feelings as you continue through these critical early day. You are strong. You ARE healthy. You are perfectly capable to carry this baby healthily to term. Hugs.