Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
lilyjoy21
Registered Users

Meds during pregnancy

Seeking support from anyone who has experience taking nausea and anti-anxiety/depression medication during pregnancy. I’ve always been against medication while prego, but this is my third pregnancy and I have a 2.5yo, 1yo, and my husband has complex mental health issues.... plus my nausea is much worse this time (I’m 15w along and vomiting is still so intense I cough up blood). I’m already taking Zoloft for postpartum anxiety, and my midwife just prescribed Zofran for my persistent nausea. Anyone have experience/thoughts/advice? I’m nervous to take both...

Advertisement

Last edited by lilyjoy21; 06-16-2018 at 01:46 PM.
lilyjoy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Meds during pregnancy

I weaned myself off my anxiety meds during my first pregnancy so I took them for the first trimester or so. Pregnancy is known to improve womens mental health so I would try to maybe wean yourself off if you are comfortable with that.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
lilyjoy21
Registered Users

I’m glad that worked for you of course I wish I didn’t need medication, but I tried tapering off the anxiety meds and found myself becoming deeply depressed and unable to care for myself or my family. I also tend to become depressed as my pregnancies progress. My husband implored me to go back to my regular dose.

Last edited by lilyjoy21; 06-16-2018 at 06:05 PM.
lilyjoy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyjoy21 View Post
Iím glad that worked for you of course I wish I didnít need medication, but I tried tapering off the anxiety meds and found myself becoming deeply depressed and unable to care for myself or my family. I also tend to become depressed as my pregnancies progress. My husband implored me to go back to my regular dose.
I totally understand not wanting to be on medication. I am currently on it for ppd.

I would just make sure to double and triple check that whatever you are on is safe for pregnancy (and nursing, if applicable). Your family needs a happy mama (and you need a happy you!) so dont let people make you feel like you are wrong for being on medication for that to happen. Just need to find that balance between taking care of your mental health and taking care of your pregnancy.

If you ever need to talk feel free to PM me. I know mental health is a hard thing to deal with alone but also hard to talk about with people that have never been there.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

It's a balancing act of risks. If the risks of not being on the meds are worse than the risks of being on them, which for you it sounds like they are, then you have to do it and hopefully can feel comfortable knowing this is what is best for your family and your baby. Good luck throughout this pregnancy! We all can do only the best we can, and Hopefully find peace in that. Hugs, mama!
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote