Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #41
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

Re: What to do when your family thinks you're nuts...

I said something the other night about my 6 month old having been born at home and I immediately got the post L & D nurse "I could never do that and take that much risk."

My stepmom is a L&D nurse and I had to listen to her berate me for 30 minutes because we chose to bypass the bloodtesting for Down's and all that. I just told her, the results will do nothing to change the facts, so why bother? She also was angry because they didn't check the size of the baby by ultrasound before delivery, she said I should have been required to have a c-section! I was irate because she simply thinks the medical staff can just tell me I must have a c-section because my baby is over 8lbs...ummm NO. My body, my baby. I am so very tired of medical professionals trying to control every little thing in life.

Advertisement

abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #42
4ShoreRN
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2seth&trey View Post
this post makes me laugh! I am a nurse myself so when things come up at work about vacinations, CD, EBF extended I stand my ground and explain the research I have done. I have never said anything about using family cloth or mamacloth because I don't even want to explain that to a bunch of nurses that are germaphobes. It is differnt at home... I don't have Cdiff, VRE, MRSA or any other resistant organism and we clean each item after use. I also never use bleach except at work because of the chemicals. I said something the other night about my 6 month old having been born at home and I immediately got the post L & D nurse "I could never do that and take that much risk." I gently explained that throughout the pregnancy I was assessed and would have been ruled out if I had any issues, that the MW during labor checks for decelerations ect... It was funny when vacinations came up. I got looked at like I had 3 heads. But an intact penis wasn't so bad.
High five from one nurse to another! My sister says to me crap like you're so educated why would you go against your own occupations' suggestions. I tell her because I don't blindly follow like a sheep.
4ShoreRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 AM   #43
aemarques
Registered Users
seller

Isn't it so funny that we don't go an preach to them about how disposables are disgusting, or formula is so gross, or pushing baby in a stroller is terrible. But they feel the need to preach to us about what we are doing.

I've tried explaining facts and research i've done, but they normally don't care to listen, or don't think its true. So its just pretty much in one ear out the other. Family hasn't been a problem but I have a friend, well more like DH's friends wife, OMG you can't shut her up about vaccines, or cloth, or breastfeeding and her opinion is ALWAYS right, no matter what, no changing her mind. I avoid her at all costs.
aemarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #44
mama2seth&trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemarques View Post
Isn't it so funny that we don't go an preach to them about how disposables are disgusting, or formula is so gross, or pushing baby in a stroller is terrible. But they feel the need to preach to us about what we are doing.

I've tried explaining facts and research i've done, but they normally don't care to listen, or don't think its true. So its just pretty much in one ear out the other. Family hasn't been a problem but I have a friend, well more like DH's friends wife, OMG you can't shut her up about vaccines, or cloth, or breastfeeding and her opinion is ALWAYS right, no matter what, no changing her mind. I avoid her at all costs.
. Ikwym
mama2seth&trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #45
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all the responses, but DH was against cloth when I started. I did research into why, cost benefits, etc etc etc. Nothing convinced him. Finally I just told him "you are more than welcome to take over the diapering and laundry. When you do, you are more than welcome to make those decisions as you see fit." After that he has only good things to say about cloth