Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

Re: Just had a 32 weeker...establishing supply....Please help!

mama. Just keep doing what you're doing, you're doing great. And remember your making preemie milk right now, and every drop is so precious!! Your body should catch up. I was on mag for 5 days PP (Doc didnt catch my problems till it was too late) and DS was born at 31 weeks. Your doing great Try to get some rest, and pump as often as they feed him, which was every 3 hours for us, and I pumped for 30 minutes, one side at a time unless I had time restrictions. I did have supply issues and ended up on Reglan for a year ( to side effects) but My body almost entirely shut down and i was in severe liver failure. I also didnt know then what I know now, thanks to this forum. again, you're doing the best for your LO

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
bulkybummom
Registered Users
seller

Coming from an NICU nurse... you have to do the night pumpings!! It's crucial to getting your supply... once your supply is more adequate then you can space your night time pumps to once every 5 hours... but don't skip them Sounds like you're doing great! Malt beer can also help production... if you have one right after pumping it won't affect your milk!
bulkybummom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am pumping evey 2.5 hours around the clock. Things are better and I am trying to be patient. I know it will come. Thanks for all your words of encouragement.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
laura_mae99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WAY TO GO HONEY.. hang in there stuff will get better. Just an idea take a photo of the baby as well and put it next to the pump or little video if u can and watch it while u pump. I did it and it totally helped me... u can take a new photo every couple of days to keep u going. Also hot shower before pumping is also wonderful. But i agree with the NICU nurse, night pumpings are a must. hang in there honey and let us know how it goes... ((Hugs))

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurkeyp View Post
I am pumping evey 2.5 hours around the clock. Things are better and I am trying to be patient. I know it will come. Thanks for all your words of encouragement.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Good going with the pumping every 2.5 hours! I was very frusterated when my twins were in the NICU. I was getting .75 ounces per pumping total for the first week. I broke down crying because I figured that was all I was getting and I'd never be able to provide an adequate amount of breastmilk for my twins.

It took a lot of pumping like you...but now that my twins are almost 3 months old, I'm able to provide almost all breastmilk (I still exclusive pump). Some days I do have to supplement with 1-3 bottles of formula.

With preemies and especially C-section, it takes our bodies a little while to get the production going. I know it's frustrating and can be slow, but give it time and pump/nurse as often as possible
Old 07-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #16
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: **UPDATED**Just had a 32 weeker...establishing supply....Please help!

Updated.