Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
aquariummom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
lactation consultant telling sister not to pump

My sister just had her daughter on tuesday the one side is very sore so she called in the lactation consultant to try to help. While there she told her never to use a breast pump at least the first three months. I never heard of it. My youngest I have feed on one side and pumped the other since he was born(he didn't lacth for the first month due to them taking him away at first so took awile to get him on boob) And now at almost three months he nurses perfect and I still pump the one side he just perfers it.
SO I guess what I am asking is advice for her she has problems with her one hand so it is very hard for her to manover the baby on that side. It seems the lactation consultant had a lot of negatives for her. So I did recomend her to mine I love my lactation consultant. Other then confusion is there a reason not to use a pump?

Advertisement

aquariummom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
mumsark
Registered Users
seller

Re: lactation consultant telling sister not to pump

WHAT???? The LC gave the wrong info to your sister,are you sure she wasn't an educator or counselour,I can't see a IBCLC giving that kind of information. I could see suggesting not pumping if she had an over supply of milk,possiabley,something isn't right.It would benefit her getting a second opinion and even calling her local LLL leader.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
aquariummom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no over supply she was just born tuesday by c-section I can't wait for her to get out and get some real help
Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I would think that using a pump while still establishing your supply might tell your body to make too much milk and then you could have oversupply. While many may think that oversupply isn't a problem, it certainly can be. I was advised not to pump for the first 4-6 weeks while I am establishing my supply. 3 months seems a little extreme. If she is feeling super engorged, I would say that the classic advice is to express just enough to feel comfortable if she feels she must pump.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry your sister is having pain on one side no fun at all. So here is my input on pumps before 3 months. A lot of time pumping can interfere with the breastfeeding relationship related to supply( not always, and not for everyone). It can cause an oversupply issue which for lots of babies can become problimatic ( as in my case, and a friend of mines). When your baby nurses it demands what it needs and then your body produces that amount for each stage and age of life. If you pump and increase that supply you can run into problems. My lactation consultant told me not to pump and I didn't listen and then ended up with way more issues than I started with. Hope you find a solution...just thought I would share me story.
palsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
mamaBex
Registered Users

My Mood:

As PP have mentioned, pumping before your supply is properly established can confuse the whole "supply and demand" thing and cause problems down the road. Your baby is the best pump!

Obviously, if there are problems with B****** (premie babe who can't latch, very sore nipples, etc.) or you have to go back to work after 6 weeks and can't be there to BF round the clock, pumping is preferable to FF. But what the LC said is actually good advice for protecting the B****** relationship under optimal conditions.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
aquariummom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks I think she is just wanting to pump the one side she can't get her to lacth on. They don't seem very pro breastfeeding as she was already told to suppliment with formula. I may be just bieng overprotective sister as the hospital I go to and the one she went to are night and day as far as personal care and all together experience. She was born on tuesday she has lost 7 ounces she was 8 10 and now is 8 3. I think my sister is like most of us and just wants to make sure she is getting enough.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #8
mumsark
Registered Users
seller

I still say the advice she was given was wrong and I am a lactation counselor, personally I would never give that advice. Let your sister know that if she tucks a pillow under neath her side, lays baby on the pillow in a football style hold, it's great for side-line nursing, it makes latch on,and nursing after a c-sec much easier for both Mama and baby. This was great advice given to me by my English midwife( I had my first five children in England, I was able to BF on the operating table after my c-sec).
* It's common for c-sec Mamas to experiance a delay in their milk coming in , sometimes milk doesn't come in until days 7-10 after delivery.*
Old 07-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a fast normal birth- baby born early Friday morning and my milk didn't come in until Tuesday. Claire lost about 10 oz (and she was only 6 lb 13 oz) before the milk came in, so what your sister is experiencing doesn't sound that unusual. I can see both opinions- pumps can cause problems for the breastfeeding relationship, but it seems like pumping is better than quitting, also. I hope she is able to continue breastfeeding!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes and no. I think the occasional use of a pump is okay, but regular use so early on can def. interfer with supply. I would say the lc is just being cautious with the 3 month timeline, wanting to make sure your sister establishes a good nursing relationship before bringing in outside tools. Since milk is made by supply and demand, early use can lead to oversupply which leads to a host of other issues (fussy baby, foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, discomfort). I think once your supply is established and a good nursing relationship has been formed, the occasional extra pumping is fine.
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote