Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
aran_knitter
Registered Users

Extended hospital stay and bfing newborn?

I'm expecting #2 in Feb. We know that the baby has spina bifida, and will be going through surgery soon after birth to correct it. I am anticipating that the baby will be in the hospital for a length of time, and am trying to figure out how to breastfeed by pumping. Would hospitals store breastmilk? Is this even an option?? (I will be asking the Drs and hospital about their policies on this.)

Has anyone had experience with a similar situation, that you may be able to give me tips/suggestions/recommendations? Or do I allow formula feeding, and then switch when baby comes home? (not the best for baby, I know)

Advertisement

http://bruisedreed.wordpress.com/
aran_knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
averysmom
Registered Users

Re: Extended hospital stay and bfing newborn?

Your baby will probably be in the NICU and they do accomadate for nursing moms. My ds stayed in the hospital for 10 days after he was born and the gave me all the pumping supplies, I had access to the pumps in the pumping room. They also had several freezers and I had my own section with my name on it for my milk.

I would call you hospital and talk to the NICU and see what they will provide for you.
HTH
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

When I was in the hospital for my gallbladder removal they put me on the women & children floor (L&D, recovery, nursery) because that's where the fridge for breast milk was at and I was pumping like a mad woman so my boyfriend could have it for DD#2. So yes, I imagine the hospital should have the same thing. The hospital gave me a sheet of stickers with my info on it and I had to initial it and put the date and time (that was more for a "use this first" kind of thing for my boyfriend). They were very good about the whole thing I was impressed.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmom View Post
Your baby will probably be in the NICU and they do accomadate for nursing moms. My ds stayed in the hospital for 10 days after he was born and the gave me all the pumping supplies, I had access to the pumps in the pumping room. They also had several freezers and I had my own section with my name on it for my milk.

I would call you hospital and talk to the NICU and see what they will provide for you.
HTH

DD1 was in the hospital 6 weeks (congentital heart problems and surgery) and they let me pump in the NICU (had screens and everything) and they had a BM fridge. Our hospital was very BF friendly and they would remind us to pump often and let us know when the supply was low so we could bring some from home.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Braggarmywife28
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my first son was in NICU for 10 days i went several times a day to nurse him..he did have to have pumped milk in the bottle middle of the night etc. but when he came home we exclusively bf without a prob
Braggarmywife28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds1 spent 9days in the NICU and they gave us storage containers and I would just take them with me to the NICU and the nurses would store it for me/ds
Old 10-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
aran_knitter
Registered Users

Thanks! It's encouraging to hear that may have had success in this type of situation.

That's one concern that I will now be able to set aside for a while.

http://bruisedreed.wordpress.com/
aran_knitter is offline   Reply With Quote