Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
jellybelly37
formerly J*****e
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding while pregnant

Hi Mom
There is no reason to stop nursing UNLESS you are at risk for premature membrane rupture/ early labor. Plenty of people nurse through pregnancy. I have been trying with my toddler but at 18 weeks, last night my 19 month old told me 'milk finished'. Sigh. It's very frustrating as I tried but my milk did start drying up pretty quickly as soon as I became pregnant. The last few weeks she has really been comfort nursing and I will let her continue if she wants to. With such a young baby you will really have to watch it drying up, there are supplements and medications you can take to help (reglan?). Also if you have good supply start pumping now to build up a stash just in case your milk dries up, so that they can get the benefits for as long as possible.

My advice is: switch OBs to somebody who is supportive of BF. Switch pedi's too. Your pedi sounds like an idiot, if they wanted you to wean due to low weight gain. Obviously don't know anything about breastfeeding and are not up to date with current medicine.

Advertisement

jellybelly37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #12
JuliaMaite
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariummom View Post
So now just got a message from my ob and he wants me to stop nursing any ideas why? I did have gestional diabetes with my others. It just seems where we are located the wic office is the only place that wants you to keep nursing as long as you can. My peditrician had wanted us to wean her off a month or two ago due to low weight gain she was gaining just wasn't as big as some of the other babies..
any ideas why? Yes, he doesn't know what he's talking about.... get a second opinion. Did you ask him why? Also, some peds will tell you to nurse MORE when they lose weight. Or to seek advise from a lactation consultant. Or to supplement... not just to 'stop'.

You should insist your OB give you concrete reasons that are backed up by research. And then take that to a second opinion.

I have not heard that GD would be a reason. However, this is what I have found... is this true for you?

"This was a topic of debate many years ago. It used to be felt that breastfeeding while pregnant can steal important nutrients from the fetus and can increase the risk of miscarriage. Now we know that this is not true. Many research studies have demonstrated no nutritional risk to the fetus, and no increased risk of miscarriage. I encourage pregnant moms to continue to breastfeed as long as they want to.

There is, however, one situation where breastfeeding during pregnancy is NOT considered safe. For moms who have a history of miscarriages or preterm labor (labor beginning before 37 weeks gestation) with previous pregnancies, breastfeeding may increase the risk of these events occurring again. Why? Because breastfeeding releases a hormone into mom's bloodstream that can cause the uterus to contract. If a mom's uterus is especially sensitive to this hormone (i.e., if a mom has had preterm labor or miscarriages before) then breastfeeding MAY trigger the uterus to contract.

However, most women's uteruses are NOT sensitive to this breastfeeding hormone. It is therefore safe to breastfeed during pregnancy."
http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/pr2.asp

Mama to Julia Maite 1/27/08 and #2 on the way - due January 2010 (Green Team)
JuliaMaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
JuliaMaite
Registered Users

My Mood:

thought you would find this link interesting:
http://www.myntoddler.com/comments/i...cat=preg/pgres

there are six 'points' and a quick read... basically, the only thing you have to worry about is your little one getting enough if your supply declines.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
JuliaMaite
Registered Users

My Mood:

and this from la leche league... sorry, it just irks me when doctors tell you to stop breastfeeding when they HARDLY know the first thing about breastfeeding and don't care to educate themselves:

"....health care professionals may express doubts about breastfeeding while pregnant. Their concerns might include that you would be risking the health of your unborn baby. It may be reassuring to know that in a normal pregnancy there is no evidence that continuing to breastfeed will deprive your unborn child of necessary nutrients. In addition, according to the La Leche League International BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, 3rd Edition 2003, page 407. "Although uterine contractions are experienced during breastfeeding, they are a normal part of pregnancy. .. Uterine contractions also occur during sexual activity, which most couples continue during pregnancy." Also, according to the BAB, page 408, "Currently, no specific medical guidelines exist that define in which situations it may be risky to continue breastfeeding during pregnancy, and prenatal caregivers vary widely in their recommendations." The materials listed in the "Additional Resources" section of this FAQ will help you address the fears others may express."
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bfpregnant.html

Old 08-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
aquariummom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks all. I wish more docs would get educated on breastfeeding. If it wasn't for my peditricain my son wouldn't be here today so I do value his opionion on most subjects. When I had called him back he was more concerned on my benifit due to the amount of stress that I was going thru and the lack of handiling to put it blunt. After I had called him back we did talk and he realized that it was going to stress me more to wean her then to keep on nursing. And now I am fine things have settled to a low chaos which with my family is great.

Now the ob I hate and I am not supposed to be seeing him I am supposed to only see the female there. So why he has gotten involved I don't know. At the end of my last pregancy I despised him so much that I let my husband and my support team know if my doctor (the female) that I do like was not able to deliver for some un known reason that they were to take me to a different hospital I refused to let him near me. Unless there was a emergency of course. But out of three labours none have been less then 12 hours.

So I guess my big decision is to stay with the female doctor knowing at some point I may have to deal with the guy doc I can't stand. Or drive a hour to try to find a doc I can agree with. I love the female doctor she gave me the perfect labour I couldn't have asked for anything more.

Thanks so much everyone especially the ones who bookmarked stuff for me I am going to print it all out and take with me. I have two weeks before my appt. I don't plan on stopping now and the more people I talk to it seems that alot of people do it and are fine. She loves it she wants to fall asleep eating. And nurses really well. She just starting learning that she can sit up and eat which is so cute she will do it when daddy comes home so she can wacth him while eating.

I understand if there were other health reasons but all my babies had to be helped even to start labour so I don't think preterm labour should (Knock on wood) affect me.
aquariummom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow mama I am ss so many ppl are against you! As others have said.. lll and kellymom both say it's fine to bf while pg and when your milk comes in with your second baby there's usually a LOT I'd hang in there and ignore your ob. Also size is such a funny thing. All of my kids are small i am small (4'11) dh is small. As your parents/your dp's parents about how you both grew. If she is growing like you or your dp did I wouldn't worry about it!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote