Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2014, 11:24 PM   #1011
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Lets talk essential oils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm View Post
It was the thicker CO2 Madagascar vanilla. It's not that thick but it's gritty almost. I accidentally got a glop on my finger and what I couldnt scrape back in the bottle was rubbed into my skin easily enough. I also got peppermint on my hands - both together smell amazing. Lol If I make salves and such I'd use it in them. It smells good though and they said it's their fullest vanilla scent but I thought it seemed a bit chocolatey. I'll have to smell it again to see. I had just smelled the peppermint not long before too. I'll probably get a sample of the other vanilla next time too so I can see which one I prefer. I need to figure out how I want to use it.
Thanks so much for the info. I'll be interested to see what AA says in response to my question, but it sounds like even if they give me the answer I want to hear I may need to pause over the actual smell. Since vanilla itself is a known entity that is one I would have hoped to simply purchase in a small size if/when able provided they said it was oil soluble. Vanilla sure is tricky, and yes, vanilla mint does make for a nice blend !

Advertisement

debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:43 AM   #1012
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am totally, completely new to essential oils. I know nothing about them and I've yet to be totally convinced they do anything, BUT I'm trying for a VBA2C soon and I'm trying to help myself out any way I can. Even if its just placebo, I'm trying it all. I'm interested in finding some sort of massage oil DH can use while rubbing my back in labor. In my perfect world, it would be something with calming and focusing properties, with huge bonus points if it has pain relieving properties as well. Does something like this exist? What oils would I likely be looking for? Where should I be looking? Is this something I should plan on making/concocting myself or would something like this be available for purchase somewhere?
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:07 AM   #1013
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim
I am totally, completely new to essential oils. I know nothing about them and I've yet to be totally convinced they do anything, BUT I'm trying for a VBA2C soon and I'm trying to help myself out any way I can. Even if its just placebo, I'm trying it all. I'm interested in finding some sort of massage oil DH can use while rubbing my back in labor. In my perfect world, it would be something with calming and focusing properties, with huge bonus points if it has pain relieving properties as well. Does something like this exist? What oils would I likely be looking for? Where should I be looking? Is this something I should plan on making/concocting myself or would something like this be available for purchase somewhere?
You should try Arnica oil. When I got RLP so bad I couldn't move it got me upright & walking. Good luck!
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #1014
gehagge
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
Here's what I found on a safe recipe group on facebook...

-Lavender essential oil you can use throughout your labor to help assist with pain and help you relax. Add Lavender to a carrier oil and use as a moisturizer while in labor.

-Frankincense is an amazing essential oil for labor. It can help calm you by simply inhaling it during labor. Add to a carrier oil and massage on lower back and stomach to help relieve pain.

-Jasmine, although should not be used while pregnant, can be great during labor. Add to a carrier oil and massage on stomach. Jasmine will help make the contractions more effective.

-Helichrysum is great to use on your perineum during delivery to help prevent trauma and tearing. It can also help prevent swelling. Add a small amount of Helichrysum to a carrier oil and rub it directly on.

Also I've seen several places that Clary Sage can help things move along. As far as helping calm/focus, I'm not sure. They say above lavender and Frank for calming. Focus...I'm not sure.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #1015
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehagge View Post

-Frankincense is an amazing essential oil for labor. It can help calm you by simply inhaling it during labor. Add to a carrier oil and massage on lower back and stomach to help relieve pain.
Frank helps you breathe deeply and get into a more meditative state in addition to being a great pain oil. So that makes a lot of sense to me. If for some reason it doesn't work for the one thing, it will help with the other.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #1016
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post

Frank helps you breathe deeply and get into a more meditative state in addition to being a great pain oil. So that makes a lot of sense to me. If for some reason it doesn't work for the one thing, it will help with the other.
Ananda has great frank! I just got mine yesterday.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #1017
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

The AA peops indicate that the CO2 vanilla blends fine. But they will not send me a vanilla sample w/o the 4.95 shipping fee. I thought it was worth asking b/c I had made three orders in one month, you know? Oh, well. MG, keep us updated on how the vanilla smells when you have re-smelled it without the mint. Ty.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #1018
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok, so if I wanted a lavender and frankincense massage oil or lotion for labor, do I need to buy the EOs and carrier oil myself, or is there a way to buy something already made?
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #1019
gehagge
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
Ok, so if I wanted a lavender and frankincense massage oil or lotion for labor, do I need to buy the EOs and carrier oil myself, or is there a way to buy something already made?
Probably you would need to buy the two oils and a carrier yourself and blend it. I'm not sure if there's a blend already made that would be just those two oils or those two plus some other useful ones. I'll look around and see what I could find. I know Plant Therapy doesn't.

Eta: This one has vetiver, frank, lavender, and cedarwood. It's supposed to calm and focus. I'm not sure if vetiver or cedarwood is OK for pregnancy/labor. From what I can tell from Essential Oil Safety the vetiver and cedarwood should be OK. http://www.nativeamericannutritionals.com/attention-assist.htm You would still have to dilute this with a carrier oil.

Essential Oil Safety also said this: Roman chamomile, lavender, frankincense, mandarin or clary sage were used in labor.

Tisserand, Robert; Young, Rodney (2013-12-02). Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals (Kindle Locations 10632-10633). Elsevier Health Sciences UK. Kindle Edition.

I don't know if there is a blend that exists with those oils either. I'll see what I can find.

Last edited by gehagge; 03-10-2014 at 04:17 PM.
gehagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #1020
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mama Kim, I was PMing with you earlier but thought I would share what two aromatherapists and an aromatherapy student had to say in response to my question.

First off, hormones can change the way we respond to a scent, and so you might get all oiled up with EOs that you chose before the day and then react negatively to them and not be able to wash them off mid-labor. So it may be preferrable to work with inhaling EOs instead of a rub down, since an inhaled EO can always be put away.

Doulas will use different EOs depending on how the labor is going--different ones for long labor, short and intense labor, relaxation, an overly tired mom, or pain relief. So they were hesitant about recommendations. They might put some of these on the body (like clary sage to speed things up as anecdotal evidence might suggest) but would not be determining that until in the moment. Presumably with a bottle of carrier oil and a couple of EOs beside you, you could determine that in the moment too if you did want your DH to apply a pain EO (my thought).

Anyhow, one agreed with PP that for sheer pain (but not really for pleasant aromatherapy properties) some arnica-infused carrier oil might be a nice alternative to EOs, and then you could have a couple of EOs around for inhaling.

HTH!

Last edited by debcita429; 03-10-2014 at 05:20 PM.