Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I had a Chevy express it was the size of a 12 pass but didn't have the last row of seats. So it seated 8 with tons of space for sports equipment, Costco trips....cross country trips were a dream bc of all the cargo space. And the seats are much wider. My kids are big teens and fit great with lots of legroom. I lost the van in the divorce and I miss it every day. I now have 6 kids in a mercury villager. I have to stand on the back ledge to buckle the babies in and one of the boys has to wedge himself next to them in back. I also don't have enough space for dh when all the kids are with us.
You don't have to get a huge van, you can get a used astro or something and they are easy to drive and seat 8.

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Should I get a bigger van?

We only have three and are looking for a 12 pasenger. I wouldn't feel one bit silly!! With two RFing and one FFing in our mini van, we don't have room for anyone to ride with us and it's really frustrating!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
alphacyg
Registered Users

We're currently driving a Honda Pilot, and it works well for our (smaller-than-average) six children. We have the two smallest in the middle with the oldest, then the rest in the back row, all in car seats.

We will be looking for a 12-passenger van in the next few months before #7 comes. We weighed all the options and in our price range there is only the van. My husband wanted to get a Suburban or Expedition, but they only seat 8. Plus, it would be nice to have a teeny bit of extra room sometimes.
alphacyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

I'm due with my sixth any day and will be maxed out when baby is here with our 8 passenger econoline. It is SUPER tight and I have 5 in car seats so I know how you feel. My hubby is in denial about needing something larger! Lol.... Even though we would love and need more room we aren't gonna get larger until its an absolute necessity.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq
ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so since baby is due soon I'm guessing OP has already decided, but I saw this and re-read my post on this thread and thought I'd give an update...

We ended up having 6 kiddos, all in carseats in the 8 pass suburban. 2 FF harnessed, 3 RF convertibles, and an infant bucket. It was doable. I was kinda proud that we actually made it to capacity and used it like that (DH was ready for a bus the first time he had to buckle FOUR back there lol). It wasn't easy, took a lot of patience. Mainly because I was used to loading everyone in through one door and climbing in to buckle them all. With the 6 I had to pop the infant seat into the front passenger seat to wait in bad weather (door #1), let one kid in one back door (door #2), pile middle 4 kids in through other back door (door #3) and buckle the ones I could reach while climbing on top of the infant base installed by that door, then go back to the front and get the infant bucket (reopening door #1) and pop him in then run around and go in through the back cargo doors (doors #4 &5 because of course the stroller has to be on the one side so I can get to the kid I can't buckle from the front which of course means I happen to have to open both cargo doors because of their direction) to buckle the RF kid I can't reach. But 2 of the kids I buckle from on top of the infant seat base, I'm hanging balanced by my chest over the top of the 2nd row seats with my feet hanging out the door and yeah it kinda hurts! Oh and if I'm going somewhere I need my 4 seat stroller, it goes on a hitch on the back and I cannot open the cargo doors without taking that off so if I'm not taking it off at one stop then that adds another complication. To sum it up, total pain! But...

Then we find out #7 is on the way so big Van shopping commences and I'm not happy about that. I love my suburban. In fact, I was very relieved to call of the van search now that our two foster babes left the other day. So we'll have 5 in the suburban and I won't even consider a big van til absolutely necessary! We were looking for used and even then the price is a big downer.