Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #31
dncegrl's Avatar
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,723
My Mood:
I had the vaccine and got no side effects except for tenderness of the shot area.
Men give hpv to women, so if you only have one partner, there is still a chance you could get hpv from your one partner.

Advertisement

dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #32
lydoomizelaine's Avatar
lydoomizelaine
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,060
My Mood:
Re: Gardisil vaccine

Soo glad I didn't end up getting this vaccine back in high school when it first came out!
__________________
Elaine Mama to DS E (4/12) and DD (4/14)
lydoomizelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #33
AfWife8405's Avatar
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,595
Re: Gardisil vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueswirl View Post
So basically, if you have sex and contract something, you deserve to die. Yeah. That's freaking awesome.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
I really don't think that is what she meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom View Post
This is exactly us right now. I have declined it for my oldest for a few years now. She will be 15 in a couple of months, and this year we sat down together and researched what the vaccine is, what it does/doesn't do, possible side effects, what HPV is, etc. It was a really great bonding time for us. She was pretty overwhelmed by all the info and wanted another year to think about it. So we'll revisit the issue later.
I really like this approach.

I have not had it personally, do not have HPV and have no intention of ever getting the vax. My daughter is only 3 yrs old, so we have a bit of time before this is an issue in our family. I am just now hearing that it is being considered for boys as well, my oldest boy is 6 so that would still be down the line several years.

I really don't think there is an obvious right answer and I would have a hard time being critical of person's decision either way. I think its up to the individual to weigh the risks against the benefits. Personally, if I had to decide tomorrow, I would not have my daughter get the vaccine. I can see both sides and understand the risks/benefits, but my gut reaction is no.

I am keeping an open mind though and will be watching to see how things pan out with this vax over the next 8-10 years before I have to start making a decision for my daughter. Up until now, my kids have all been vaxed on schedule and no reactions have occurred.
__________________
Wife to An Airman Mama to Nicholas Benjamin (9) Jack Ryan (7) Brooke Isabella (6) our Great Dane, Matilda and St. Bernard, Lucy

Last edited by AfWife8405; 06-19-2012 at 12:09 AM.
AfWife8405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #34
LittleClaraLove's Avatar
LittleClaraLove
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 947
My Mood:
We do not agree with giving vaccines for STDs.

And just as an aside to whole sex and morals debate brewing, my husband and I married as virgins, and we will teach our children to abstain until marriage. There are still those of us out there who DO believe sex is a moral and spiritual decision for adults to make, not young teenagers. So my young teenagers will not be handed condoms, and they will not be vaccinated against STDs.
LittleClaraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #35
ktmelody
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,289
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac & Cheeses mom
Ok sooo what your all saying is..... There is no way my teen is going to have intercourse before they are 18, and there is no way it will be unprotected..... And there is no way they could get an STD!

I don't know about you but I was no angel, and I did get HPV! If I was able to not have gone through what I did because my mother turned the "there is no way" eye I would have done it.

And don't get me wrong but what if, heaven forbid, your teen is at a party, and get raped.... or random rape and gets it! Those are things you can't control.

I don't know about you but if I can prevent a worse outcome I will!

ETA: I do not mean any discontent in my statements this was the reasoning behind why I got the vaccine for my DD. I do not mean you all in the above statement as a bash or negative. It bothers me that as parents we (in general) tend to under play how we were as terms and children. We (again in general) tend to forget as humans we make mistakes and teen hormones tend to be part of that.
Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
First of all teenagers need opportunities to have sex or be in a situation to be raped. I dont plan on my girls being in those situations until they are old enough to decide with my help if the gardisil vaccine could help them. My girls are never without an adult present. They dont attend school, have never been alone with boys, and dont go anywhere alone. I think their risk is very low. Now when and if they do venture out with boys and attend college we will discuss the pros and cons.

My girls have a much higher rate of dying in a car accident than contracting cancer from hpv. With regular paps and gynecological visits hpv can be caught early and treated. We have no family history of female cancers.

I think the vaccine can be a good thing for some families based on how they raise their kids, what their kids are exposed to etc. but since we are low risk we are skipping it for now. Of course there is always the small chance it could happen or my girls could be raped in their beds at night but for US the risk is so low that a reaction to the vaccine is much more likely at this point of their lives.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #36
AfWife8405's Avatar
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,595
Re: Gardisil vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleClaraLove View Post

And just as an aside to whole sex and morals debate brewing, my husband and I married as virgins, and we will teach our children to abstain until marriage. There are still those of us out there who DO believe sex is a moral and spiritual decision for adults to make, not young teenagers. So my young teenagers will not be handed condoms, and they will not be vaccinated against STDs.
I think that is fabulous! This is our goal for our children as well. DH & I never had sex with anyone besides each other, but it was before marriage. Looking back, I realize that it would have been better to wait. My parents never encouraged me to wait for marriage and didn't even bring up the subject for that matter. I wish I had been pushed in that direction because by the time I got their on my own it was too late.

I am lucky things worked out the way they did so I speak from experience when I tell my children how significant it is to be each others one and only. Even if you take morality out of the equation, waiting until marriage is the safest option for your body. I wish my parents would have taken the time to sit down with me and have a real discussion about it.
__________________
Wife to An Airman Mama to Nicholas Benjamin (9) Jack Ryan (7) Brooke Isabella (6) our Great Dane, Matilda and St. Bernard, Lucy
AfWife8405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #37
mcpforever's Avatar
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bama
Posts: 11,740
My Mood:
Re: Gardisil vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
My girls have a much higher rate of dying in a car accident than contracting cancer from hpv. With regular paps and gynecological visits hpv can be caught early and treated. We have no family history of female cancers.

I think the vaccine can be a good thing for some families based on how they raise their kids, what their kids are exposed to etc. but since we are low risk we are skipping it for now. Of course there is always the small chance it could happen or my girls could be raped in their beds at night but for US the risk is so low that a reaction to the vaccine is much more likely at this point of their lives.
The bolded is key. If you (general) are raising your daughters to go in for regular paps and they actually do, then cervical cancer is not a huge deal. It isn't an agressive cancer, is easily detectable, and easily treatable by your obgyn. Usually, the biggest issue that results from cervical cancer that is detected at an annual (as in, they are NEVER skipped) pap is a cervix that doesn't "hold" a pregnancy as well. (and there are things that can counteract that)

I will say that those who end up in an oncologist's office with full blown cervical cancer tend to be older women and/or women who fall into lower income brackets that do not get annual paps. For some it's a financial issue. For others it's a matter of assuming that since they are past childbearing age, they don't need to worry about paps. So for lower income girls, getting the vaccine is a much, much bigger deal.

The gyno oncologist I saw for my molar pregnancy was quite passionate about the vaccine, because he sees these women every day. I had a lot of questions about HPV at the time because my DH's ex was dealing with it and freaking out on him. And he was the only guy she'd been with!

Anyway, all of this to say that another risk factor to take into account is whether or not your daughters will get annual paps. This board has a lot of anti-medical sentiment and it seems that some may encourage their girls to forego pap smears.
__________________
Melissa-Wife, mother to DS 4/02 and DD 4/07, DS 7/08 DD 7/13
ISO: my lost shaker of salt
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #38
isaacsmum's Avatar
isaacsmum
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,054
Re: Gardisil vaccine

OP, if you're concerned about side effects, have you read the post-licensure surveillance information about the vaccine? There was a huge article published in JAMA in 2009 investigating the VAERS reports and clinical trials to reanalyze the rate at which side effects occur and which of the serious side effects reported to VAERS could be causally related to Gardasil and which were occurring at the background rate. You can read it here:
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article....sue=7&page=750

My kids aren't old enough yet, but I will strongly encourage them both to get this vaccine. I like the idea of discussing the pros and cons, what HPV is, etc before hand and letting them come to a decision with something like this, so I can't say yes definitely.

As for side effects, the most common serious side effect is fainting which occurs at a rate of about 8.2/100,000. Before the vaccine became available, your lifetime odds of contracting cervical cancer ranged from 7-14/100,000. So if my daughter gets a dose of the vaccine, she's about as likely to faint afterward as she would be to contract cervical cancer without the vaccine. Headaches after the vaccine were reported at a rate of about 4/100,000 - which is pretty close to your overall risk of dying from cervical cancer before the vaccine was introduced. I'll risk a headache over risking dying from cancer. That's what I'd want for my kids, too. When I read the VAERS surveillance data, it seems pretty clear to me that the vaccine wins out.
__________________
Jenifer ~ Cloth diaper lovin' scientist mom to Isaac (09/08) and Evelyn (09/11)

Last edited by isaacsmum; 06-19-2012 at 08:11 AM.
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #39
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,169
My Mood:
Re: Gardisil vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleClaraLove View Post
We do not agree with giving vaccines for STDs.

And just as an aside to whole sex and morals debate brewing, my husband and I married as virgins, and we will teach our children to abstain until marriage. There are still those of us out there who DO believe sex is a moral and spiritual decision for adults to make, not young teenagers. So my young teenagers will not be handed condoms, and they will not be vaccinated against STDs.


I've been to two weddings this spring of friends who dated and were engaged and remained virgins until they married (both partners). It's not impossible and they are pretty much at 0 risk for STDs as long as they remain faithful to eachother. Side effects and weak science aside, I don't believe in vaccinating against consequences of bad decision-making, even if the vaccine did work 100%.

I really think that this vaccine is a big money-making scandal, though. It hasn't been studied nearly long enough to be mandated and pushed at such an incredible level, for a disease that is easily diagnosed early through routine pap smears and generally has a low incidence and mortality rate.
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and Corbin (10/14) and someone new (11/16)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #40
DalesWidda's Avatar
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Delavan, WI
Posts: 5,902
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody

First of all teenagers need opportunities to have sex or be in a situation to be raped. I dont plan on my girls being in those situations until they are old enough to decide with my help if the gardisil vaccine could help them. My girls are never without an adult present. They dont attend school, have never been alone with boys, and dont go anywhere alone. I think their risk is very low. Now when and if they do venture out with boys and attend college we will discuss the pros and cons.

My girls have a much higher rate of dying in a car accident than contracting cancer from hpv. With regular paps and gynecological visits hpv can be caught early and treated. We have no family history of female cancers.

I think the vaccine can be a good thing for some families based on how they raise their kids, what their kids are exposed to etc. but since we are low risk we are skipping it for now. Of course there is always the small chance it could happen or my girls could be raped in their beds at night but for US the risk is so low that a reaction to the vaccine is much more likely at this point of their lives.
My girls are low risk right now as well. So for now we will skip this one.
__________________
Tanya, mama to four wonderful girls, wifey to my favorite guy
DalesWidda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.