Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
chelle0518
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
22 month old driving me batty

I'm at my wit's end with my son. He's become a wild man in the past few months, I don't doubt that it's because of the new baby, but I don't know what to do with him.
He does things that are dangerous to himself, and others. Bites, scratches, pinches, pulls hair, kicks his siblings, DH and I. Climbs on absolutely everything. Can't be contained by a playpen or crib. If he gets ticked off at dinner, he starts scattering everything within reach. The cabinets have locks that he pulls on like the Samsonite gorilla. He'll hang on the fridge with his head back if he can't have what he wants (we have ceramic floors in the kitchen, if he goes back, uh-oh).
I generally use positive discipline with my other guys. Also the 'naughty square' a la Supernanny. He's too little for that, there's no way short of duct tape to keep him there. He doesn't respond to stern No's, redirection, removing his hands and holding them for a second. Time outs in the playpen are 5 seconds, until he climbs out. I don't believe in spanking little ones because it just seems to reinforce hitting when you're not getting your way.
I feel like an idiot because he's my third! I should know what to do, but he's leaving me at a loss. I know it's partially b/c he can't do everything his big brothers do, can't communicate his needs fully, etc.... But knowing why isn't helping me with what to do with him to teach him boundaries.
Please don't flame for anything I've mentioned, I'm already at the bottom of the barrel on this....I'd appreciate any ideas, good books, or just an "I've been there too, and it will pass!"

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 22 month old driving me batty

im there now dd doesnt scratch/bite or anything but she will get in moods-especially if dh is at work too long or busy-and will do EVERYTHING i tell her not to do and nothing i tell her to do (including peeing in my bed when its nap time and i tell her to go potty ) i wish i had some advice for you, but the only thing that works for dd is if i tell her she will have to sleep by herself in her room and that only works half the time
totally OT but i would love it if she did sleep by herself
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
pernillep
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to say .
I already know I will be where you are now when DS gets a little older.
Also, bumping for you hoping to get some good recommendations for later on.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

I've noticed that when my dd starts acting up (the 2nd of four) it's usually because she's in dire need of one-on-one attention. And let him "help" you as much as possible...with everything. He's not too young for special tasks (please throw this away for me, please put this fork on the table, etc.). That way he'll be close to you and he'll feel like a big boy. I know it's difficult...hang in there!

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaliff View Post
I've noticed that when my dd starts acting up (the 2nd of four) it's usually because she's in dire need of one-on-one attention. And let him "help" you as much as possible...with everything. He's not too young for special tasks (please throw this away for me, please put this fork on the table, etc.). That way he'll be close to you and he'll feel like a big boy. I know it's difficult...hang in there!
No real help from me, but this sounds good! And the other thing that helps when dd starts having awful days is to get outside and run her around for an hour. Hugs, mama!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
tiffanyamanda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been through this with my DS and it will pass. It definitely takes a lot out of you and it takes time but all I can tell you is persistance is key and do whatever you can to get a break from it so you don't go insane. Even if you can get 2 minutes away from him or whatever, take it. It will help so much. I hope he stops soon for you. Some take longer than others and my DS was one of the long ones.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am so right there with you right now. The screaming and crying is the worst. My other kids were not like this. I too am at a loss. I have been using the the naughty corner though, I sit there with him, it's very short, but he doesn't like being there and knows what its about as he has seen his brothers there, and realizes it is not a good thing. This is sorta working, now I just say next time you do "whatever" you will go in the naughty corner, and he has been stopping. Normally I wouldn't recommend this at this age but he understand as he is the youngest of 3. Big hugs to you.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Right there with ya... although DS is still an only child--we've had a few family issues come up in the last few days and he's not had a ton of attention like always. Sigh.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote