Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thoughts on Kid "Leashes"...

We have a puppy backpack & use it. My 2-year-old used to turn & run off at full speed around the nearest corner & thought it was the funniest game ever, the chase game. Even in the street or the parking lot. And even now she still does that "squirrel!" thing where she will turn & run off at whatever she sees. When we are going to a very noisy or big & busy place, esp if it's me 7& the girls without dh, we use that. I loop the handle over my wrist & hold her hand like normal. The leash part only comes into play if she takes off at top speed & then it naturally catches & stops her, & then we go back to holding her hand, or pick her up if she's decided it's full-on chase game time & won't stop running.

Advertisement

Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!

Last edited by dragondance; 06-05-2010 at 09:36 AM.
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
er517
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was in the grocery store w/ all 3 kiddos. They wanted to ride in that stupid car grocery cart, and I thought it would keep M busy for a little while, so I agreed. She was naughty throughout the store, and when I came to the checkout line, we had to wait. There was a lady in front of me unloading her items, and M got out, and RAN out the automatic doors!! The d@mn car cart was so huge that I couldn't get around it, and there was already someone else unloading their cart behind me. I was trapped, and all I could do was holler her name. THANKFULLY, a lady outside heard me and brought her back in before she got to the parking lot.

After that day...she wore a backpack harness for a while. I did get a few dirty looks once in a while, but most people thought it was a cute backpack, and would comment on what a great thing it must be or how they wished they'd had one when their kids were young.

You do what you gotta do. It's better than the alternative, isn't it??
Hmmmm.....keeping my child safe and near me?.....or letting her run crazy, possibly getting hit by a car or getting lost?.....
No hesitation, I'll take the dirty looks and comments on why I treat my child like a pet.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
skybluepink02
Registered Users
seller

I'm thinking seriously about them. I've got two new runners who apparently have no common sense. They go running in different directions and I have to make a split second decision about who I think is going to get in the most trouble and follow that one. Then go back and get the other one.

And the stroller is torture, apparently.

Wombmates born 2/21/2009
skybluepink02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD has one, I am not a fan of the "handcuff to the wrist" type leashes, but I love the harness backpack ones. DD loves to be off on her own, she loves to explore and in big crowds it can be nerve wracking. For me, it gives her the space to explore a little and me the peace of mind that if she gets out of my arms reach she won't get out of my sight.

I am NOT a fan of using them to drag kids around by...if I have to start "tugging" on it, she gets picked up, it's not a leash to drag her by, it's a harness to make sure she doesn't get lost amongst a crowd. We use ours in the mall when it's busy or the festivals where she can slip through legs easily.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #15
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I loved my kid harness with all the kids for crowed areas or places where they could get lost or run over.
With holding a baby at the same time I think it would be an excellent idea to use on for those times when the child decides to bolt.
We always held hands at the same time as using the harness, they still didn't run to the end, but they would slip out of my grip and bolt and so it stopped them from disappearing.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #16
2Pinks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another big fan. My oldest didn't need it, she was content to sit quietly in the stroller or hold my hand if she wanted to walk, now at almost 6 years old, she is still content to walk next to me and hold my hand. But my second was not like that as a toddler and now at 4 1/2 it can still be a fight to get her to hold my hand when crossing a street. She was/is a bright and curious kiddo and would take-off without warning to follow something to caught her eye. She was never openly defiant (except to resist holding hands with anyone!) but wouldn't think before just taking off and when she was 2 or 3 years old, I wouldn't expect her too without some training. The harness certainly helped with that!

We had the monkey and the puppy and would let her choose which one she would wear. Sometimes we even put a "prize" inside - like a granola bar or a box of raisins - and if she was well-behaved and listened, she would get the extra treat at the end of the allotted time. Since she is creeping up on 5 years old, it doesn't feel right to keep her in the harness, but boy there are days when I wish I could! We are still working on the "don't take off without asking first" and "hold my hand when we cross the street".

~*~ My Biz ~*~
2Pinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
descrstn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always thought it reduced humans to dogs (no age discrimination here LOL) but after reading your post I realize I have never actually needed one So I guess I have no idea. DD is a great hand holder and by the time this one is born she will be almost 5.

I had previously seen kiddos and moms acting kinda weird in public with them as if she hadn't disciplined her child to the point of behaving appropriately in public, and the harness seemed kinda her way of throwing in the towel. I had seen some kids attached to strollers as well. I can't make a whole judgement on like 4 cases though.

I guess if they are used in a non "I give up, you are now a puppy" kind of way.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #18
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by descrstn View Post

I guess if they are used in a non "I give up, you are now a puppy" kind of way.
Toddlers are like puppies though! They pee on the rug, eat grass, run off to explore anything that looks new and interesting, roll in the mud, etc.

The reason to put toddlers on leashes is for the exact same reason you put a puppy on a leash - so they don't get lost or hurt.

What always amuses me though, is that people are totally ok with strollers which are basically portable cages, but not ok with leashes which actually give the kid some freedom.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd

Last edited by linzbear; 06-05-2010 at 11:52 AM.
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #19
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

It's like anything parenting related. Some love it, some hate, some think it's the best invention ever, some think it's negligent parenting. We all have opnions on them [and everything else]

Me? We have a "flight risk" son [per his special needs and also just 'normal' kids stuff]. We love our harness in busy places like Disney, etc. We're at total peace using it and have full confidence in our decision

Here's our guy at Disney in his "puppy pouch" as he calls it [since it's also got a pocket he can put a toy in! lol]

http://thebewitchinglyordinaryhousewife.blogspot.com/
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #20
blessedw2pink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzbear View Post
Toddlers are like puppies though! They pee on the rug, eat grass, run off to explore anything that looks new and interesting, roll in the mud, etc.

The reason to put toddlers on leashes is for the exact same reason you put a puppy on a leash - so they don't get lost or hurt.

What always amuses me though, is that people are totally ok with strollers which are basically portable cages, but not ok with leashes which actually give the kid some freedom.
Agreed! Agreed! Agreed!

Some curious little toddlers are poky little puppies.

I used to think the leashes were like treating kids like dogs when I had my first. Then Jenna came along and opened my eyes to a whole new world. That bear backpack is worth its weight in gold some days.

Unless you have a high spirited child, you have no clue... not being mean (I used to be that way!) but it is the truth.

And I think a leash/backpack thing is like all the benefits of a stroller but the bonus of physical exercise. Using the backpack lets her run around and feel independent while being safe and secure.