Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
sjebillings
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: "Real" labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries416 View Post
I've been having contractions every 4ish minutes for almost 36 hours now. They hurt and do not go away no matter what. The L&D nurse I saw last night told me I was insane and couldn't possibly be having contractions because I'm not dilating. It is so frustrating.
That was me on Friday, except they told me I was in labour, until it stopped. Sorry you are going through it for so long. We keep finding notes around the house from the last time I had contractions with DS (2 1/2 years ago) and we laugh at how nervous we were. They went on for way too long and did nothing to my cervix.

I really hope it's the real deal for you!

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjebillings View Post
That was me on Friday, except they told me I was in labour, until it stopped. Sorry you are going through it for so long. We keep finding notes around the house from the last time I had contractions with DS (2 1/2 years ago) and we laugh at how nervous we were. They went on for way too long and did nothing to my cervix.

I really hope it's the real deal for you!
Thanks! I hope, so, too. I'm not even keeping track anymore. I can still walk around although that is getting harder, but maybe that's just because I'm so exhausted? I was induced and ended up with a c-section with my first so this is a whole new ball game for me. They keep harassing me to schedule a c-section and man it is tempting, but I don't want one!
aries416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #13
sjebillings
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Thanks! I hope, so, too. I'm not even keeping track anymore. I can still walk around although that is getting harder, but maybe that's just because I'm so exhausted? I was induced and ended up with a c-section with my first so this is a whole new ball game for me. They keep harassing me to schedule a c-section and man it is tempting, but I don't want one!
I got prepped for surgery basically on Friday (IV, checking incision, drew blood, stuck in a bed, no food/water). I am going for a VBA2C and doc wasn't willing. I was so glad the contractions went away so I can get a better doctor. Now I know I will have to put up a fight.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #14
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I got prepped for surgery basically on Friday (IV, checking incision, drew blood, stuck in a bed, no food/water). I am going for a VBA2C and doc wasn't willing. I was so glad the contractions went away so I can get a better doctor. Now I know I will have to put up a fight.
Wow! They just wanted to ignore me and tell me I was insane at the hospital I went to. They never asked about pain in my incision, gave me water because the 60 oz I told the nurse I had had apparently weren't enough and I "must be dehydrated", and pretty much sent me on my way even though I SAW contractions registering on the monitor.

I honestly thought they would be more paranoid since I was there the week before with milder contractions and being that I did have a c-section, but nope. They'd apparently rather I have the baby at home.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #15
zander's mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wow! They just wanted to ignore me and tell me I was insane at the hospital I went to. They never asked about pain in my incision, gave me water because the 60 oz I told the nurse I had had apparently weren't enough and I "must be dehydrated", and pretty much sent me on my way even though I SAW contractions registering on the monitor.

I honestly thought they would be more paranoid since I was there the week before with milder contractions and being that I did have a c-section, but nope. They'd apparently rather I have the baby at home.
I'm in kind of the same situation as the both of you. A little different, but had an emergency c-section the first time. This time I was told from day 1 that I wouldn't be allowed a VBAC period, so it took almost 2-3 months before I found someone willing to let me attempt. Now that OB is refusing to let me go past the 14th for the VBAC. She already schedule the c-section for me and refuses to do anything else. There's no one/where else for me to go at the moment, and I'm too scared to even try a home birth considering I could have bled out from the abruption with DS1. I did go to the hossy once for contractions and they faded away, though I didn't even know they were contractions at the time. So now I know what they feel like to me atleast, but I'm still sure that I won't know it's real labor until I'm close to having him. And I also know that the only hospital I am allowed to deliver at is less than happy about a VBAC. It's quite the journey for many of us!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Yes, quite the journey! I hope we all get the vbacs we want!

My L&D nurse actually said she wished she could have had c-sections. Um, okay? Good for you! Urgh.

My OB will give me until 41 weeks (I'm due the 17th), but he REALLY wants me to schedule a c-section as backup. I've been 2 cm and 50% effaced for a couple weeks now and having tons of non-productive contractions and he is just not optimistic anything will ever happen. I never even had 1 contraction with my dd until I was induced at 41 weeks, so I thought this was exciting! He'll kick me out of his care and I see a high risk OB. That's all fine and dandy for me, but if the nurses are all crazy, then I think I'm screwed anyway. I'm paranoid and a homebirth is not for me, especially with everyone in my family basically telling me to just schedule a c-section because it's easier. DH would FREAK about a homebirth, too. I'm just so ready to be DONE and hold my baby!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
Malakaiii
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Yes, quite the journey! I hope we all get the vbacs we want!

My L&D nurse actually said she wished she could have had c-sections. Um, okay? Good for you! Urgh.

My OB will give me until 41 weeks (I'm due the 17th), but he REALLY wants me to schedule a c-section as backup. I've been 2 cm and 50% effaced for a couple weeks now and having tons of non-productive contractions and he is just not optimistic anything will ever happen. I never even had 1 contraction with my dd until I was induced at 41 weeks, so I thought this was exciting! He'll kick me out of his care and I see a high risk OB. That's all fine and dandy for me, but if the nurses are all crazy, then I think I'm screwed anyway. I'm paranoid and a homebirth is not for me, especially with everyone in my family basically telling me to just schedule a c-section because it's easier. DH would FREAK about a homebirth, too. I'm just so ready to be DONE and hold my baby!
Can you find a doula in your neighborhood? They are amazing advocates!
Malakaiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
sjebillings
Registered Users

My Mood:

I made a little joke when I was in the hospital about how all their intervention made me want a home birth and all of their jaws just hit the floor. DH and I really want to stay home as long as possible to make sure it's the real thing (we could walk in and say someone catch this) but I tested positive for step B. I have found the nurses hit and miss and that one OB clearly not supportive. I have to pray that the next one will be. We never got a MW or doula because I had a 90% chance of developing cholestasis - I still do. So I need to be followed by the OB.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #19
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
Formerly: MrsMommy0805
seller

My Mood:

The only way I can explain my "real" contractions is that they are painful... And it feels like the baby is stretching the cervix and everything around it. I didn't feel anything in my back, and my belly just felt hard. The only place I felt anything was as though the baby was pushing down HARD. I didn't know I was in labor for hours because I had the contractions on and off for 1-2 days and then in the morning they woke me up... They got more and more intense but they weren't regular. Then finally 12pm they started to be 4-5 minutes apart and I had the baby at 2:51pm. I kept delaying and delaying because my contrax. weren't consistently however long and however many minutes apart. They were of varying length and anywhere from 5-15 minutes apart for 7 hours or so before they finally got consistent.

I guess there's just no way to know until you KNOW. I KNEW it right when I had the 4th contraction that was 4-5 minutes apart, but I still waited the hour the midwife wanted me to wait before coming in. I used that hour to get everyone ready and things in line to leave and have the baby!
PatchworkPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote