Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
sjebillings's Avatar
sjebillings
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 993
My Mood:
Re: "Real" labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries416 View Post
I've been having contractions every 4ish minutes for almost 36 hours now. They hurt and do not go away no matter what. The L&D nurse I saw last night told me I was insane and couldn't possibly be having contractions because I'm not dilating. It is so frustrating.
That was me on Friday, except they told me I was in labour, until it stopped. Sorry you are going through it for so long. We keep finding notes around the house from the last time I had contractions with DS (2 1/2 years ago) and we laugh at how nervous we were. They went on for way too long and did nothing to my cervix.

I really hope it's the real deal for you!

Advertisement

__________________
Sarah, Momma behind http://www.somedaysarah.ca, Wife to my rock star hubby momma to Jeca B (Feb 06) , George (Feb 08) & Jack (Oct 10)
sjebillings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
aries416
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,527
Re: "Real" labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjebillings View Post
That was me on Friday, except they told me I was in labour, until it stopped. Sorry you are going through it for so long. We keep finding notes around the house from the last time I had contractions with DS (2 1/2 years ago) and we laugh at how nervous we were. They went on for way too long and did nothing to my cervix.

I really hope it's the real deal for you!
Thanks! I hope, so, too. I'm not even keeping track anymore. I can still walk around although that is getting harder, but maybe that's just because I'm so exhausted? I was induced and ended up with a c-section with my first so this is a whole new ball game for me. They keep harassing me to schedule a c-section and man it is tempting, but I don't want one!
aries416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #13
sjebillings's Avatar
sjebillings
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 993
My Mood:
Re: "Real" labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries416 View Post
Thanks! I hope, so, too. I'm not even keeping track anymore. I can still walk around although that is getting harder, but maybe that's just because I'm so exhausted? I was induced and ended up with a c-section with my first so this is a whole new ball game for me. They keep harassing me to schedule a c-section and man it is tempting, but I don't want one!
I got prepped for surgery basically on Friday (IV, checking incision, drew blood, stuck in a bed, no food/water). I am going for a VBA2C and doc wasn't willing. I was so glad the contractions went away so I can get a better doctor. Now I know I will have to put up a fight.
__________________
Sarah, Momma behind http://www.somedaysarah.ca, Wife to my rock star hubby momma to Jeca B (Feb 06) , George (Feb 08) & Jack (Oct 10)
sjebillings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #14
aries416
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,527
Re: "Real" labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjebillings View Post
I got prepped for surgery basically on Friday (IV, checking incision, drew blood, stuck in a bed, no food/water). I am going for a VBA2C and doc wasn't willing. I was so glad the contractions went away so I can get a better doctor. Now I know I will have to put up a fight.
Wow! They just wanted to ignore me and tell me I was insane at the hospital I went to. They never asked about pain in my incision, gave me water because the 60 oz I told the nurse I had had apparently weren't enough and I "must be dehydrated", and pretty much sent me on my way even though I SAW contractions registering on the monitor.

I honestly thought they would be more paranoid since I was there the week before with milder contractions and being that I did have a c-section, but nope. They'd apparently rather I have the baby at home.
aries416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #15
zander's mama's Avatar
zander's mama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,546
My Mood:
Re: "Real" labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries416 View Post
Thanks! I hope, so, too. I'm not even keeping track anymore. I can still walk around although that is getting harder, but maybe that's just because I'm so exhausted? I was induced and ended up with a c-section with my first so this is a whole new ball game for me. They keep harassing me to schedule a c-section and man it is tempting, but I don't want one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjebillings View Post
I got prepped for surgery basically on Friday (IV, checking incision, drew blood, stuck in a bed, no food/water). I am going for a VBA2C and doc wasn't willing. I was so glad the contractions went away so I can get a better doctor. Now I know I will have to put up a fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries416 View Post
Wow! They just wanted to ignore me and tell me I was insane at the hospital I went to. They never asked about pain in my incision, gave me water because the 60 oz I told the nurse I had had apparently weren't enough and I "must be dehydrated", and pretty much sent me on my way even though I SAW contractions registering on the monitor.

I honestly thought they would be more paranoid since I was there the week before with milder contractions and being that I did have a c-section, but nope. They'd apparently rather I have the baby at home.
I'm in kind of the same situation as the both of you. A little different, but had an emergency c-section the first time. This time I was told from day 1 that I wouldn't be allowed a VBAC period, so it took almost 2-3 months before I found someone willing to let me attempt. Now that OB is refusing to let me go past the 14th for the VBAC. She already schedule the c-section for me and refuses to do anything else. There's no one/where else for me to go at the moment, and I'm too scared to even try a home birth considering I could have bled out from the abruption with DS1. I did go to the hossy once for contractions and they faded away, though I didn't even know they were contractions at the time. So now I know what they feel like to me atleast, but I'm still sure that I won't know it's real labor until I'm close to having him. And I also know that the only hospital I am allowed to deliver at is less than happy about a VBAC. It's quite the journey for many of us!
__________________
Kendall...mommy to Z (2-20-08) , R (10-14-10) and loving wifey to C
zander's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
aries416
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,527
Re: "Real" labor?

Yes, quite the journey! I hope we all get the vbacs we want!

My L&D nurse actually said she wished she could have had c-sections. Um, okay? Good for you! Urgh.

My OB will give me until 41 weeks (I'm due the 17th), but he REALLY wants me to schedule a c-section as backup. I've been 2 cm and 50% effaced for a couple weeks now and having tons of non-productive contractions and he is just not optimistic anything will ever happen. I never even had 1 contraction with my dd until I was induced at 41 weeks, so I thought this was exciting! He'll kick me out of his care and I see a high risk OB. That's all fine and dandy for me, but if the nurses are all crazy, then I think I'm screwed anyway. I'm paranoid and a homebirth is not for me, especially with everyone in my family basically telling me to just schedule a c-section because it's easier. DH would FREAK about a homebirth, too. I'm just so ready to be DONE and hold my baby!
aries416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
Malakaiii's Avatar
Malakaiii
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 997
Re: "Real" labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries416 View Post
Yes, quite the journey! I hope we all get the vbacs we want!

My L&D nurse actually said she wished she could have had c-sections. Um, okay? Good for you! Urgh.

My OB will give me until 41 weeks (I'm due the 17th), but he REALLY wants me to schedule a c-section as backup. I've been 2 cm and 50% effaced for a couple weeks now and having tons of non-productive contractions and he is just not optimistic anything will ever happen. I never even had 1 contraction with my dd until I was induced at 41 weeks, so I thought this was exciting! He'll kick me out of his care and I see a high risk OB. That's all fine and dandy for me, but if the nurses are all crazy, then I think I'm screwed anyway. I'm paranoid and a homebirth is not for me, especially with everyone in my family basically telling me to just schedule a c-section because it's easier. DH would FREAK about a homebirth, too. I'm just so ready to be DONE and hold my baby!
Can you find a doula in your neighborhood? They are amazing advocates!
__________________
~Lin~
Happily married to Simon & Mama to Maya (10/28/10)
Selling some beautiful NB/SM woolies!
Malakaiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
sjebillings's Avatar
sjebillings
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 993
My Mood:
Re: "Real" labor?

I made a little joke when I was in the hospital about how all their intervention made me want a home birth and all of their jaws just hit the floor. DH and I really want to stay home as long as possible to make sure it's the real thing (we could walk in and say someone catch this) but I tested positive for step B. I have found the nurses hit and miss and that one OB clearly not supportive. I have to pray that the next one will be. We never got a MW or doula because I had a 90% chance of developing cholestasis - I still do. So I need to be followed by the OB.
__________________
Sarah, Momma behind http://www.somedaysarah.ca, Wife to my rock star hubby momma to Jeca B (Feb 06) , George (Feb 08) & Jack (Oct 10)
sjebillings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #19
PatchworkPeddler's Avatar
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
Formerly: MrsMommy0805
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Crossville, TN
Posts: 3,965
My Mood:
Re: "Real" labor?

The only way I can explain my "real" contractions is that they are painful... And it feels like the baby is stretching the cervix and everything around it. I didn't feel anything in my back, and my belly just felt hard. The only place I felt anything was as though the baby was pushing down HARD. I didn't know I was in labor for hours because I had the contractions on and off for 1-2 days and then in the morning they woke me up... They got more and more intense but they weren't regular. Then finally 12pm they started to be 4-5 minutes apart and I had the baby at 2:51pm. I kept delaying and delaying because my contrax. weren't consistently however long and however many minutes apart. They were of varying length and anywhere from 5-15 minutes apart for 7 hours or so before they finally got consistent.

I guess there's just no way to know until you KNOW. I KNEW it right when I had the 4th contraction that was 4-5 minutes apart, but I still waited the hour the midwife wanted me to wait before coming in. I used that hour to get everyone ready and things in line to leave and have the baby!
__________________
*Katie--Wife and Momma of 7 great kids
Earn GIFT CARDS by searching the web! Come join me at SWAGBUCKS
I make Nursing Pads and Feeding Tube Pads, Visit my website
PatchworkPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.