Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
snugsboutique's Avatar
snugsboutique
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Port Moody BC
Posts: 942
To Circumcise or not to Circumcise?

I didn't Circumcise my DS1 and I'll admit, he's had issues with his little foreskin.

He has had 3 infections over his 10yrs, and when he was 8 the GP my exDH took him to pulled it back early!!!! ugh I was so mad, now the skin is too tight and if DS doesn't practice pulling it back he may have to have it removed. Plus he is still so immature and always forgets to pull it back when he urinates, which can cause even further complication.

So now that I'm expecting my next boy my new DH wants to snip snip. But I'm against it for the following reasons:

1. It's expensive, it costs around $500 to have the specialist do it, which my midwife recommends as less GP's are doing the procedure so it opens up the change of having a botched circumcision. (ouch)

2. less than 25% of boys in his age group are getting circumcised, which would put him in a minority of his peers as he gets older (locker room comparisons...)

3. I really don't want to have to look after a wound and working around the bandages when he's a newborn.

so what are your thoughts experiences on this topic? Thanks Mama's!!

Advertisement

__________________

I'm BAAACK!! Check out my new ready to ship items on my Etsy and Hyena Cart shops!
snugsboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:29 PM   #2
Agla's Avatar
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16,744
My Mood:
Re: To Circumcise or not to Circumcise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugsboutique View Post
I didn't Circumcise my DS1 and I'll admit, he's had issues with his little foreskin.

He has had 3 infections over his 10yrs, and when he was 8 the GP my exDH took him to pulled it back early!!!! ugh I was so mad, now the skin is too tight and if DS doesn't practice pulling it back he may have to have it removed. Plus he is still so immature and always forgets to pull it back when he urinates, which can cause even further complication.

So now that I'm expecting my next boy my new DH wants to snip snip. But I'm against it for the following reasons:

1. It's expensive, it costs around $500 to have the specialist do it, which my midwife recommends as less GP's are doing the procedure so it opens up the change of having a botched circumcision. (ouch)

2. less than 25% of boys in his age group are getting circumcised, which would put him in a minority of his peers as he gets older (locker room comparisons...)

3. I really don't want to have to look after a wound and working around the bandages when he's a newborn.

so what are your thoughts experiences on this topic? Thanks Mama's!!

This is a tough one. I understand why you are considering it.

Here is our experience: I had one out of three that experienced an infection and needed an antibiotic. But my circumcised one had an infection once too. Two experienced phimosis which was treated with a cream. I ended up taking them to a specialist who actually wrote a book about penis care when this was happening and she was pretty laid back about it all and didn't even broach the subject of circumcision.

I was struggling with the decision and my pediatrician kind of let it slip he dealt with adhesions from circumcision more than he'd like.

My new pediatrician hasn't said a word about foreskin so it seems the tightness issue has sort of resolved itself but I really have to remind them to pull back. I'm glad you posted as I had slacked off on this.

That's an interesting star of 25%. Is that true for Canada only?
By specialist do you mean a plastic surgeon? That's who I was going to have to see if I considered it after we had left the hospital.

Even the Academy of Pediatrics has flipped flopped on this issue.

It's a tough one.
__________________
Here to help if I can.
Shameless referral links: Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. PM me your email for 15% of your first Boden purchase.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
snugsboutique's Avatar
snugsboutique
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Port Moody BC
Posts: 942
Re: To Circumcise or not to Circumcise?

I'm not sure how acurate the statistics are, thats just what my midwife told me. I believe it though because circumcision isn't covered by our government medical service plan because they consider it cosmetic.

And yes the specialist would br a surgeon. There is one here in my city that only does circumcision.

My new DH is insisting because he is circumcised and so are most men in our age group. But with all the parents pretty mich opting not too and with modern mefical and antibiotics i dont really see the purpose. I mean you wouldn't circumcise a girl right....
__________________

I'm BAAACK!! Check out my new ready to ship items on my Etsy and Hyena Cart shops!
snugsboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:21 AM   #4
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,735
Re: To Circumcise or not to Circumcise?

I don't think you can compare it to circumcising a girl...

I think it's just a personal decision. There are horror stories either way. True, most of the world doesn't circumcise, but here it's common, and that doesn't make it a bad thing. Looking after the wound after birth is actually no big deal - it heals pretty fast - so I wouldn't use that as a reason. If it's important to your DH, maybe you can see how much he's willing to help. Cleaning and pulling back sound worse to deal with than the wound to me, but if DH wants that responsibility then it's up to him. In our case we waffled on the subject the whole pregnancy and decided to circumcise in the end and it has worked out fine so far.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:04 AM   #5
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,947
Re: To Circumcise or not to Circumcise?

I have two that are, and two that aren't. None of them have had any kind of issues.

IMO it's a really personal decision with no one right answer. You and your DH need to do your research to learn all sides and decide what is right for your family.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
MamaChirpy's Avatar
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South MS
Posts: 8,133
Re: To Circumcise or not to Circumcise?

DS1 was circumcised without a hitch. I do remember caring for it was more involved for some reason. With DS2, we waffled back and forth because he stayed in the NICU for a week and we felt like he had had so much to deal with already. I actually cried when he had it done. It also looked way different than DS1's. I took him to the OB that did it a week afterwards to make sure it was healing properly. She assured me it was and since then, as he has grown, it is indeed looking more like what I'm used to. Forgot to mention, DS2 had a hooded foreskin at birth. Which made him look different to begin with.

I'm glad we went ahead with the circ even after all the uneasiness. I can't imagine trying to properly care for a circumcised child. I would be afraid I would make a mistake.

With that being said, there is no right or wrong answer IMO. It's just whatever you are comfortable with.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
Agla's Avatar
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16,744
My Mood:
Re: To Circumcise or not to Circumcise?

It used to be that you couldn't even ask the question here without being called a mutilator. I remember there was one dad in particular who would appear out of nowhere to argue with whoever was asking about circumcision.

I'm glad your getting some answers without judgement.
__________________
Here to help if I can.
Shameless referral links: Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. PM me your email for 15% of your first Boden purchase.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,134
My Mood:
Re: To Circumcise or not to Circumcise?

My two boys ages 18 and 12 are both intact and have not had issue. I would NEVER circumcise my child. IMO it's a personal decision that an adult man should choose for himself
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,735
Re: To Circumcise or not to Circumcise?

This reminds me that I and a friend we're pregnant with boys at the same time, so we discussed it a lot. We both were not fully decided on it. My friend's first son was circumcised, so she wanted her second to be as well, so he wouldn't be the odd one in the family and would match his brother and daddy but her husband suddenly thought he'd like to not circumcise this baby. Then she came to work one day and told me, "so I guess [husband] isn't circumcised! I thought he was but he's not!" We laughed so hard - she obviously hadn't been around a lot of penises to know the difference, so I guess in the long run it doesn't really matter what you do. In the end my friends did circumcise their son, but I forget why they finally settled on that. I think so that the first son wouldn't feel left out.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
Agla's Avatar
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16,744
My Mood:
Re: To Circumcise or not to Circumcise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
My two boys ages 18 and 12 are both intact and have not had issue. I would NEVER circumcise my child. IMO it's a personal decision that an adult man should choose for himself
I always thought that if in the future they wanted to they could see a plastic surgeon and get altered but they could never put the foreskin back. So I finally just let it be after traumatizing myself reading everything on the net.

I saw a Jewish circumcision up close and personal once and wonder if that eventually did come back to me when it was time for my second.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
This reminds me that I and a friend we're pregnant with boys at the same time, so we discussed it a lot. We both were not fully decided on it. My friend's first son was circumcised, so she wanted her second to be as well, so he wouldn't be the odd one in the family and would match his brother and daddy but her husband suddenly thought he'd like to not circumcise this baby. Then she came to work one day and told me, "so I guess [husband] isn't circumcised! I thought he was but he's not!" We laughed so hard - she obviously hadn't been around a lot of penises to know the difference, so I guess in the long run it doesn't really matter what you do. In the end my friends did circumcise their son, but I forget why they finally settled on that. I think so that the first son wouldn't feel left out.
That's so funny.

For anyone reading and is afraid to ask: At attention they can look the same.
__________________
Here to help if I can.
Shameless referral links: Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. PM me your email for 15% of your first Boden purchase.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.