Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

LICE! Now what?

We had lice years ago when my oldest daughter started school. (The whole family got it, it was awful!) Today my 10-year-old son complained of an itchy head and I checked him and found lice. I have now cut his hair (outside), treated his scalp/head, had him wash his hair and dried it with my blow-dryer, and vacuumed the bedrooms. What else do I need to do to make sure it is gone (besides checking his head again and washing his and his brother's bedding)? I don't remember what we did last time but it did go away and hasn't been back until now. I checked everyone else and found nothing, so I think it might have been just him. Help?!?

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: LICE! Now what?

We just treated dd's hair, heated all her bedding, and retreated a week later.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also...how long do I need to keep my other kids home if I can't find any lice on them? do I need to treat all of us if I only found lice on one? Just wondering how careful/paranoid I need to be....

Old 01-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Go to Licehelp.com and purchase the DIY kit. They overnight it to you, shipping included in price. No washing of everything in the house. No quarentined toys and stuff animals. More importantly NO NIT PICKING!! It is a 22 day process. But you will be bug free the morning after application. And eggs start coming out with 2-3 days before hatching. They can go to school the next day. No harsh chemicals. And it is easy to do.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
abmoyer
Registered Users

Did you find anything that was effective? Our boys have had it several times this school year. For some reason it seems to be bad right now. We didn’t have the lice problems last year. The pediatrician’s office advised we treat everyone in the house which is the two kiddos and myself since dh shaves his head. Last week another note came home from school indicating it’s going around AGAIN and to be on the lookout. Ugh!
abmoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

It was only one of my kids that had it this time (we checked everybody a couple of times and didn't find it on anyone else). I cut his hair--it was pretty long and thick--and treated him with LiceFree spray, which we already had on hand, and combed through his hair with a lice-treatment comb. Once the LiceFree dried I had him get in the shower and wash his hair well and then I used my blow-dryer on hot to dry it. Oh, and washed and dried all the bedding. We haven't had any more signs of them since then.

I'm sorry you are dealing with that, it is such a headache.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
R055ANA
Registered Users

Here is what I remember from when we had lice a couple years ago: not allowing anyone to sit on the couch or sleep on their beds for days, no blankets either. I saturated their hair in olive oil overnight and to keep the oil from getting all over we used swim caps and plastic bags. In the AM we rinsed our hair (I had them too), in white vinegar. I also purchased a metal lice comb which I washed each time after using and wiped clean with a paper towel. I kept the lice comb in the freezer in case any of those disgusting things were on it so they would die. We did get it out of my house within a few days. Hope this helps!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:59 AM   #8
cresto82
Registered Users

Have you used a lice shampoo? it kills of the lice. Make sure to change all the bed sheets and wash them thoroughly. Also all the clothes. Do not let him interact with other people yet so the lice doesn't spread.
cresto82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:18 AM   #9
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm terrified of lice. Is it not common in some seasons than others?
Old 03-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #10
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know...we've now had it in June and in January, so maybe not?