Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #1
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
15 months Ready to potty train?

Ok so my older 2 kids I started potty training around 18 months and it took about 2 weeks I was planing on starting around then maybe a little after with Aimee as well But when I go into the bathroom she tries to take her pants off and go too. I have a little potty seat that goes on the potty, Well she will sit there for about 15-3 secs and be done. I am not sure if I should start or just let her explore for now, I mean 15 months is really young but I am all for not having diapers!

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 15 months Ready to potty train?

bump!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
pcjs
Registered Users

I have been slowly introducing the potty to my son for a few months - he's 15 months and last week we did the potty training boot camp - much to my happy shock - after 1 day - a few times on the potty he will now go poop and pee without any problems. We have to put him on - he will sometimes come to us acting like he needs to go or grunt but its interesting as he seems to like to poop better on the potty. I'd at a minimum expose, but for us our son took to it right away - earlier it was more for him to get used to it and he'd go sometimes for pee but never poop and last week, he's been going regularly. I put him on the potty with NO expectations - and we just hang out and play with books, toys and anything I can entertain him with and he just goes, I make a huge fuss, etc... the little bjorn potty works great at this age and cleans really well (the one they talk about on here). My only "problem" is he loves baths so when he is done he will sometimes take his toys and throw them in the tub to tell me its bath time (not on my agenda)... hee hee.

Go for it - at a minimum just for exposure with no expectations. What will it hurt? You may get lucky and it be easy like us.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
Griselda_Albertson80
Registered Users

yes..you can..potty train
Griselda_Albertson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks ladies I think I am going to what is the potty boot camp?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

Just put her on the potty every hour or two for a few minutes and see if she will go all day/when you are home for a few days - it really only took us one day but we were very lucky - today he got mad at me as I put him in the high chair and he kept screaming at me and I kept wondering why - he had to poop - silly mama. (I can't imagine it is this easy with every child but he's now going regularly and I think having meltdowns when we don't read his cues as he much prefers the potty over pooping in his diapers).

With older kids in the house and watching you, she may already understand the concept and just need the opportunity. I think that is what happened with us.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
Just put her on the potty every hour or two for a few minutes and see if she will go all day/when you are home for a few days - it really only took us one day but we were very lucky - today he got mad at me as I put him in the high chair and he kept screaming at me and I kept wondering why - he had to poop - silly mama. (I can't imagine it is this easy with every child but he's now going regularly and I think having meltdowns when we don't read his cues as he much prefers the potty over pooping in his diapers).

With older kids in the house and watching you, she may already understand the concept and just need the opportunity. I think that is what happened with us.
i think you are right Her older brother and sister go we go her older cousin goes and it is just her and her 2.5 year old cousin that don't go. ( don't get me started on that one her sister didn't potty train until 3.5 years with me pushing Don't ask)
Old 01-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
pcjs
Registered Users

Don't push, bribe or do any of that other stuff people do as once you start it becomes an expectation and well, you know how it goes -- what I started with and had the most success was with putting him on the potty first thing when he woke up in the morning and right after nap. Those were the only good times I could really get him to go pee at first. I did that I forget when I started for a while... then we kinda got lazy - I started probably 11 months or so...we did it on and off sometimes... then last week my husband teased me about when I was going to start, tried it and success. I never made a big deal - just said hey, lets try the potty and said big boys go in the potty like mama and dada and gave him a toy, book, etc. to play with and we would play as long as he would sit or we'd talk (about what I don't know - hee hee) or just waste time... now he just sits and goes. I think some is just observation.

I am really liking the Blueberry new Large AIO's - they pull up/down easier than any other's I tried - obviously you are not going to 100% PT and will need something for a long time. Our BG AIO were a pain to try to put on standing up (bummer as they are on clearance as of this morning to buy more and I did love them and need more larges).
Old 01-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
torrancemom
Registered Users
seller

Wow! You are all so awesome! I just bought a little toilet seat to put on our toilet for my 17 month old daughter (first kid, no older sibs to model). The first several days she was onboard with the potty. We'd sit on it in the morning, before bed, and during the day if we were home. When it was potty time, she'd walk in the bathroom, put the seat on the toilet and start trying to rearrange her clothes. It was AWESOME! But nothing came out.

Until.... about a week later, she just freaked when I said let's sit on the potty. She walked in the bathroom, and said "nononono". So, ok, we aren't going to force it.

What went wrong? I wonder if she is not relaxed on the toilet so she can't eliminate? Should I get the Bjorn potty for the floor?

Sorry to hijack the post. I'd totally go for it with a 15 month old. My cousin, who was also a third child, potty trained herself well before two. I bet it was the same type of thing. I am in awe. Karen
torrancemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
pcjs
Registered Users

We are using the little bjorn potty. I tried the other day to put my son on the regular potty - we have an insert that came with our regular seat, which is cool and he freaked out and was like... get me off look so I did but he loves his bjorn. We have the smaller one with the removable cup (get the one with the removable cup - so much easier to dump) but if you have the big bathroom I'd probably go for the bigger size - we got ours at about 12 months so it made sense and we have a tiny bathroom.

When we are on the potty we are singing (can't believe I am doing this), reading books and playing with his electronic toys or he will not generally sit there.

I don't think you went wrong at all - I think you are doing great and I'd keep trying once a day. Today my son would not sit on the potty - it was weird (he was not eating much too) but tonight he went pee and poop - we are trying to get him to go at night now so we don't have the diaper flooding. Kids are funny but I'd keep trying just for the exposure. The best time to catch them is after nap/when they wake up.