Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #111
shandi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: i just want to ask...why only when its medical?

Ashley! I'm a little slow since I only saw your thread just now, but I know you're a fantastic mama and don't let anyone tell you otherwise based on the way you chose to feed your child when they don't know the reasons behind it. Emotional health is an uber important health reason!

I haven't read all the posts, but you have to do what is right for you and your family, and if you're comfortable with that decision who gives a hoot what other people think!
A happy mama makes a happy baby

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #112
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandi View Post
if you're comfortable with that decision who gives a hoot what other people think!

Last edited by JeDeeLenae; 02-26-2008 at 01:14 PM.
JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #113
Knittinkninja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xois View Post
obesity is on the rise, asthma, more kids with ADHD, allergies, diabetes...we are short changing our children.
But the SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE is overwhelming when it comes to IQ, illness, cognitive ability, and overall health that BF is superior. Please know that your anecdotal evidence doesn't erease the REAMS of scientific study that say otherwise
Many of that scientific evidence has recently been debunked. Obesity is one, IQ is another that have been debunked this last year. There is a correlation, yes, but not causation. Turns out women who bf are more likely to be educated, thus increasing the IQ of their child, and more likely to be involved in what their child eats and how often they exercise. I don't know about the illness/health aspect, so I can't comment on that, but I do know from my own anecdotal evidence, that my son hasn't been sick since we switched him to 100% ff, unlike before, when he did get breastmilk.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #114
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittinknija View Post
Many of that scientific evidence has recently been debunked. Obesity is one, IQ is another that have been debunked this last year. There is a correlation, yes, but not causation. Turns out women who bf are more likely to be educated, thus increasing the IQ of their child, and more likely to be involved in what their child eats and how often they exercise. I don't know about the illness/health aspect, so I can't comment on that, but I do know from my own anecdotal evidence, that my son hasn't been sick since we switched him to 100% ff, unlike before, when he did get breastmilk.
if you have some links to share, I'd love that...I like to be educated.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #115
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittinknija View Post
When I finally got the courage (yes, it took A LOT of courage to get over the guilt) to quit and ff full-time,
Absolutely it takes courage, and good for you! And it speaks for an emotional maturity that your children will no doubt benefit from. I see these debates and always think of a woman I know who ff'd her kids and is a little weirded out by bf'ing. That did disappoint me. But this woman is so selfless and gifted in working with kids, really has a knack with teenagers, and is a fantastic mom. But some people, who think that breastfeeding makes them god's gift to motherhood, would look down on her? Whatever.

As for the pp who compared formula feeding to a teenager eating Cheetos and Coke, ugh. Bad analogy, not true. Way harsh, way over the top. And exactly the type of thing that turns people away from breastfeeding support forums.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #116
Knittinkninja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xois View Post
if you have some links to share, I'd love that...I like to be educated.
Obesity:
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=80667

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11236725

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/WomensH...ory?id=3071240

Intelligence:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ull/109/6/1044

http://www.uterus1.com/news/mainstory.cfm/137

www.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/bmj.38978.699583.55v1?ct=ct
Old 02-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #117
chpiper
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom&BabyNaturally
seller

My Mood:

I did not read through every post either, but I wanted to toss my pennies in here...To the OP, I am so sorry that you had such difficult circumstances that made BF difficult... My take on BF is...

I look at it as a relationship...it really works beautifully when both of the people in it are happy and content...you can sometimes manage to get through it if only one person is enjoying it, but you have to figure out at what cost (for you it was too much of an emotional cost...). Just like any relationship...when you're both in it and feelin good, it works beautifully, most often when one person isn't happy, it just doesn't work...

So to me, you did the best thing that you could do, for your own health and well being. Babies tend to like happy mommies.

And FWIW, I am a great advocate of BF...I work as a BF counselor and have BF support meetings.
chpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #118
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

I skipped some of the posts after it got heated, but I wanted to say...

There will ALWAYS be people who criticize how you parent, no matter what the choice you make. My MIL thinks I am CRAZY for not giving my babies a bottle, cloth diapering, homeschooling...the list could go on. In the end, I just don't discuss any parenting issues with her. So what I'm saying is do what is BEST for your family and move on.

Sure, I am VERY pro-bfing; but in the end it is none of business what you choose for your family. Now I do draw the line at how my tax dollars are used, and so that is where I get into the gray area. I also think you should choose for your family wisely, and that means making choices that are based on NEED not just want (like you have a legit reason for using formula like the original poster, not just that you don't want the hassle or that you don't want flat boobs. In fact, just the other day I was behind a well dressed lady in line at the market. She had solar nails and was carrying a coah handbag. She bought two cart full of supplies. One cart was solely the top brand of formula, milk, cheese, eggs. She paid for that cart with her wic checks. It just struck me as odd. Now, I know that she may have a legit reason for using the formula. But, it just didn't sit well with me that she had the manicured nails and the coach handbag. I know those things could have been Christmas presents or something; but I get things like a new mop for Christmas. Anyway, my point is I was judging this woman to a degree and I think of myself as a pretty non-judgemental person, so my point is that there are ALWAYS those who are going to judge you, so just do what you thinkis best and feel good about your choice.

Now all around!
*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #119
brettmancan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

there's more than one right way to raise a baby
brettmancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #120
brettmancan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsMommy View Post

As for the pp who compared formula feeding to a teenager eating Cheetos and Coke, ugh. Bad analogy, not true. Way harsh, way over the top. And exactly the type of thing that turns people away from breastfeeding support forums.

i love what you said here, it reminds me of "hail and brimstoneing people" I have ADD and chose to not Bf due to the fact that i am on my medication and cant bf while taking it. I've felt like people are trying to "guilt" pple that ff into bfing. but it doesnt work that way. you just end up feeling horrible. I know that I am a completely impatient air head when im not taking my strattera. and i know that i am a MUCH better mother when i am on it.
But dont get me wrong. I've tried to Bf with both my children and i will try with the 3rd as well. but the first experience was not the best and it left a sour taste in my mouth. not the bfint it self but i had some nurses intervene with a bottle, and ....it's a long story.

Last edited by brettmancan; 02-26-2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: i left a bunch of stuff out
brettmancan is offline   Reply With Quote