Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This will be a crazy-lack of sleep- overwhelmed mom vent... Feel free to run away. lol

No, MIL, you can NOT compare your child's dyslexia to my child's FASD. No, 25 years ago, you did not face the same school issues we have with ds.

Some days, I wish he had a visible disability. (Eta: not really, but I wish people "got it"). Or even an accurately MEASURABLE one. Just because my child LOOKS normal, does not mean he is. He is not bad, he isn't trying to be difficult - he has BRAIN DAMAGE!! Don't blame it on his last school - I brought you all his records.

Sorry had to edit - I couldn't see my post. I was typing blind. lol

I'm just so tired of phone calls and emails from his teachers. I KNOW his marks suck. What are YOU doing about it?? We work at home, but it's not worth the screaming, crying, knock-down fights to do the work at home that he could get finished at school if they would just give him a damn EA. I know he has a bad attitude - that's what he does when he doesn't understand. He shuts down. No, he won't ask you for help. He doesn't WANT to be different. He's 12.

Grrrrr!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Last edited by Ontariomama; 03-21-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Ontariomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: So fed up with everything

Many many many mama... It is sooo tough having a sn kiddo let alone trying to deal with the school district. I think one of the hardest things is realizing that other people just don't "get it". Everyone I've ever talked to has either just nodded and then tried to run away or has done their best to relate.. With the latter you get some pretty interesting comments and comparisons but honestly, I prefer it to the "run away people"

I really truly hope things ease up... Having a sn kiddo is certainly NOT easy
Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just feel so bad for him. He's brilliant, but he can't get the brilliant OUT. Does that make sense? lol

He doesn't have abstract reasoning, his short term memory sucks, and he doesn't get cause/effect. School is HARD! Learning is HARD! But once he gets it, he's like an elephant. and you give that kid something to take apart and put together, he's amazing!!

With 25 kids in the class, I get it. You can't devote 1/2 the class to him -- solution, one to one worker. He's been on the waiting list for an EA since gr 1.

I'm just having a pity party today, population 1. ;-)

Old 03-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: So fed up with everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontariomama View Post
I just feel so bad for him. He's brilliant, but he can't get the brilliant OUT. Does that make sense? lol

He doesn't have abstract reasoning, his short term memory sucks, and he doesn't get cause/effect. School is HARD! Learning is HARD! But once he gets it, he's like an elephant. and you give that kid something to take apart and put together, he's amazing!!

With 25 kids in the class, I get it. You can't devote 1/2 the class to him -- solution, one to one worker. He's been on the waiting list for an EA since gr 1.

I'm just having a pity party today, population 1. ;-)

Is an one on one written into and IEP?? If so, you don't have to wait. They should give it to him. I am in one of the most penny pinching districts in my area, if an one on one is written onto an IEP it is a legal binding document, if they fail to follow it the legal recourse is HUGE!!!
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgoodgravy

Is an one on one written into and IEP?? If so, you don't have to wait. They should give it to him. I am in one of the most penny pinching districts in my area, if an one on one is written onto an IEP it is a legal binding document, if they fail to follow it the legal recourse is HUGE!!!
He had an IPRC in Ontario, but there was no funding for him - he was piggybacked onto another student's EA. After we moved here, they are fighting the basic idea that there is even anything WRONG. He's just bad and doesn't listen or do his work.

He had psycho-educational testing done in grade 1, and it is supposed to be repeated before grade 8, which is next year. We have been waiting on that appointment for 5 months.

I'm fairly certain 90% of this province works at the speed of smell...